2012 Build Ideas & Plans

PrometheuSBoxeR

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone,

Why am I here today?

Well I find myself in the middle of a decision that I've been in struggle with for a few weeks. I'm hoping that with some help from everyone I will have a more clear idea of where to go from here.

What exactly is my concern?
Well below is my current computer.

Case: Lian Li PC-60
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz
Motherboard: MSI Platinum 975X LGA775
Video Card: eVGA GTX 260 (old core)
Power Supply: Corsair 750TX
Memory: G.SKILL DDR2-800 4GB (4x1GB)
Harddrive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (storage)
Harddrive 2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB (storage)
Harddrive 3: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB (O/S)
Mouse: Logitech MX518
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mousepad: SteelSeries Pad
Monitor : 22" HP w2207
DVD Drive: NEC 16X DVD-Burner​

This bad boy has been through a lot, I've had it about 5-6 years now, and simply put, it's not up to my standards anymore. I'd like to be able to play SC2 on decent settings with my friends without any problems, it can struggle to do that. Without throwing a hardcore game at it, it runs without a hiccup.

With that being said, I have a few thoughts.

1) I'd like to have all my media centralized. Meaning I'd like to move my computer in the vacinity of my HT speakers/TV setup, and have the computer streamlined through it if I want to play movies/music etc. Currently it's in a corner room/office and not hooked up to anything other than a single monitor.

2) I bought a Cooler Master 212+ with the intent to possibly put it on the current rig, and OC the E6600 the best I can. It's my understanding that SC2 is a very CPU intensive game and I think my video card is being bottlenecked by my processor. If not, it will be hopefully used for my next build in which case I do plan on OCing.

3) Is it worth upgrading my video card/CPU to something better? My concern with this is that the CPU really is the bottleneck and it would be silly to spend any more money on a GPU or anything else as this is all old technology.

4) Instead of spending another penny on my current computer, scrap/sell/part it out for what I can and start a entire new build.

5) Wait for Ivy Bridge before I make any major decisions.

Hopefully you're along the same line of thought I am, I'm on the fence with what's my best move technologically and financially. Appreciate any insight anyone has, thank you for your time.

TBH I dont think waiting and seeing in tech works. The next new thing is /always/ just around the corner so it can be easy to just carry on waiting, especially with the price premium a lot of new tech has. Having said that, an upgrade to a system can be a cost effective way to get more life out of something, especially if you are only just pushing the limits of what you need.

In your case I think you are probably going to be pushing the limits of what your current rig can do in terms of gaming. The socket for the CPU is now antiquated, meaning that only the chips you will ever be able to upgrade to are already out. Throwing in a new graphics card and CPU will only do so much, and a CPU that will fit in there will still cost as much as a brand new CPU anyway. However, I know from experience games can run on surprisingly low end hardware, but if you want them to run well you need newer stuff. So the question becomes what level of games are you happy with.

If you are happy with playing games at lower settings, then keep the rig as is, and start saving for a new one at some point in the future, when you get that game your just not happy running at the settings your rig can handle. If you are not happy with how it can play games now, then get a new one as soon as you have the money.

Personally, if if it were me, I might make a few modifications to your present machine and turn it into a home server (quieter fans, the inclusion of a fanless GPU etc) making it quieter, rather than more powerful, as well as buying a mid ranged gaming platform. But without a budget its kind of difficult to advise.

The thing one thing I wouldnt do is hold off hoping the next new thing is amazing, its a slippery road.

I tend to agree with your statement on the waiting game.

I guess to follow up, my current computer IS NOT sufficient to play at the quality and graphics I'm interested in. Which means either a upgrade or a new rig is going to have to happen, which has lead me to some of my original thoughts as to throwing money into old technology etc.

Building a new rig is a option, but I was just trying to do a thorough analysis as to if it was worthwhile, and any other options I may have not considered. A new rig would be purely a bang for budget build. I think after around $1000, there are too many diminishing returns to spend much more than that on a PC.

I have not considered modifying it into a home server, that's certainly a option. May I ask what advantages having your own home server has given you? You'll note one of my thoughts was just to part it out/sell it off for what I can which may be a more financial option.

From what I've read, IB is just a shrink in the process, so it won't be much of a speed increase but more of a heat production decrease (it'll run cooler, which in turn means potentially higher OC's). So waiting for that may not be the best idea. Especially since many boards out for SB will get a firmware update and run IB just fine.

If you plan on doing an IB build, what graphics card are you going to get? You could potentially just buy that card now and plop it into your current system, see if that takes care of your problems. If it doesn't, then just go through with the later upgrade or a SB build.

I went a head and made my signature build about two weeks ago, and I was hesistant at first, but my motherboard will be updated for IB so if it does offer amazing gains I can always just switch the processor (something to consider).

With the exception of #3, I say do all of that:

- OC the CPU as high as possible. SC2 is indeed very CPU heavy and your current video card should be ok for medium settings. If that still isn't enough performance, then buy a new PC.

- Wait for Ivy Bridge

- Buy a new PC

- Convert current PC into a server.

Pretty sure you can reach over 3Ghz on the E6600, I'd do that. Like Danny said, SC2 loves CPUs.

That seems pretty clear, dont spend more money on your present computer, but try to overclock it and see if that helps your problems.

I think upgrading your computer would be throwing old money after new, with the possible exception of getting a new GPU which you could use in a future computer, but would have limited value if you are being CPU bottlenecked (as it seems you are)

Its always better to build as late as you can, so you can get the latest tech as cheaply as you can, so if an OC works and gets the settings you want, go for it since it wont cost anything and will extend the useful life of your computer.

My comment about turning into a server came from your first point. I have found having a central place to store all your media (videos, music etc) is really helpful, especially if hooked up to a TV. It makes it easier to back stuff up, and it means if your main computer dies you dont lose to much. It also means you can have all of your music and videos available whenever you want, without paying the electricity costs involved in keeping a large expensive computer running 24/7, not to mention the benefits of internet enabled TV :p

However, obviously you will get more money back if you sell it/part it out, so again it comes down to what exactly you want. Many people dont want or need a home server, or are happy to have everything stored in one place.

Won't overclocking cost OP at least $50 for cpu cooling? It's still a viable option.

There are plenty of HSFs that will work on LGA775 / LGA 1336 / LGA 1155/1156. Assuming the OP is a little careful in what he buys it will certainly be reusable. Also, you can get a solid HSF for about $20 these days -- the Corsair A70 and CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ are regularly around the $20 mark.

Won't overclocking cost OP at least $50 for cpu cooling? It's still a viable option.

He already bought the Coolermaster Hyper 212+, a HSF that costs around $30 and is compatible with most consumer grade sockets at the moment.

Back