2005FPW: 7800 GT or GTX?

Chops

Limp Gawd
Which is going to run better and last longer? I'm looking for high quality settings at native resolution...

Well the answer is obviously the GTX, because it is the better card. However, the 7800GT is a great card and shouldn't have any trouble running it at pretty high settings with the native resolution (all depending upon the application, of course).

So the GTX is going to be worth the extra $170? I'm looking at eVGA's specifically. The 7800 GT CO SE and the 7800 GTX with ACS3. I hear the GT is really noisy, is that true?

Well, pushing 1680 x 1050 at high settings is a task, but the 470/1100 version of the eVGA 7800GT is probably up to it. I had 1 in my machine for a week or so (before adding another*) and it had no problem with 1280x1024 at max settings.

That said, new games are on the horizon and recently released games (...F.E.A.R.) are pretty demanding. To ensure a longer life you would obviously want the GTX, like I said, it's the better card- no way around that. Being worth $170 more is up to you, will you be able to handle dropping a setting or two down in future games? If you can budget the extra $170, there is no question it will perform better and last a bit longer.

(*I didn't exactly need another, but it was a offered at a deal I couldn't pass up :))

I drive my 2005FPW with no problem, I'm using two XFX 7800 GT OC's. I can play all games at max settings @ 1680 x 1050. I'm sure a GTX would be "smoother" but I am very picky and notice no slowdowns. Even during heavy battle in call of duty 2.

The GT's are fantastic cards! Save your money for future upgrades when the next nVidia cards come out.

Chops said:
So the GTX is going to be worth the extra $170? I'm looking at eVGA's specifically. The 7800 GT CO SE and the 7800 GTX with ACS3. I hear the GT is really noisy, is that true?
Yeah, eVGA's the way to go, then you could step up to. The new cards come out in early Feb "I think"
;)

Back