2001fp question

SanGreal

[H]ard|Gawd
Well the sale ends in a few days, so I have to finally make a decision on this monitor. :)

The last thing I'm curious about on this monitor is how much do you lose of the screen when you use 1280x960 or 1280x1024 uninterpolated (or not using 'zoom' as dell seems to call it)? 1024x768?

Fragmagnet, how do you like those Raptors. Were they worth it. Is the difference noticeable. I may have asked before but never found your response. I wish you could do search on these forums.

Here are sizes like Fragmagnet found in pixels.
I blew of some dust on my brain and here are the sizes I came up with, for unzoomed resolution sizes, all based on 99.5 pixels per inch. Calculated and not measured, Ow my brain hurts now. Have not had to calculate angle lengths since High school. So correct me if I am wrong.

Horizontal ---------------Vertical-------------Diagonal

Pixels 1600 -------------1200 ---------------2000
Inches 16.08" -----------12.06"--------------20.1"

Pixels 1280 -------------1024---------------1639
Inches 12.86" -----------10.29"-------------16.47"

Pixels 1024--------------768----------------1280
Inches 10.29"------------7.71"-------------12.86"

In other words playing unzoomed makes for some small real estate!

It's hard hard to quantify the differences in the Raptors, as they were part of the original upgrade to this system. I run the OS, Games, and 1 partition for saving recorded video. On the 200GB SE I have my MP3's, 2 more "video" partitions, and my raw storage partition. The only thing I noticed outside of the benchmarks are copying from one partition to the next. Transferring to the Raptors is faster than transferring from. If you want a specific test done let me know. I guess the most noticeable would be raptors, partition to partition vs. the standard partition to partition. But since the Raptors are on dedicated channels (Sata) through the chipset, and the IDE drive is on the PCI bus, it's hard to analyze where the gains are being made ?

Thanks for the response, Fragmagnet.

How about boot times, from power up, to desktop with no hourglass next to cursor.

What is your longest loading app and how long?

I ordered some Raptors from Dell $124 a piece and don't want to be dissapointed knowing that these drives blow away all ATA drives but are the worst bang for your buck unless your comparing to SCSI, It looks like my set up is same as yours except for overclock and vid card. So my results should be similiar to yours. I am going for the raid 0 and it will be my OS drive.

BTW whats your FSB clock set at so I don't have to figure it out and is your ram 1:1 or 5:4, Did you H20 cool your vid card too or just the P4, thats an awesome overclock, I am jealous. Your 3dmark score should be up there too. Sorry for all the questions but I don't know anyone else with rig like mine. Not to many computer enthusiasts around here where I live.

Thanks for the link,

I will be returning my drives if this is the case, which would not surprise me, Dell is going downhill (below ground level) pretty quick with the crappy QA on the Flat Panels a joke of phone support and now this. Whats next remarked Processors? Would not surprise me. Can you say ENRON, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Back