$200 For Headset - SteelSound 5H v2 USB?

ProXie

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a USB headset (I recently broke my Logitech).

I'll spend up to $200 on it. (really hoping to spend about $100, but hey, if it's extra special...maybe)

The only thing I could find that's USB w/ a mic (headset) is:
http://www.steelseries.com/980

I couldn't find anything that seemed better on newegg...

What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot!

I've owned 2. The Steelsound 5H and 5Hv2 (really they're the same other than some nylon on the cord). I love both. The first broke b/c I dropped it..anyway get it, it's great. I prefer to use my onboard sound over the USB deal, but the USB one isn't bad at all either (not awesome either though). The headphones themselves are great, though.

Thanks for the tip, amromousa.

When you say 'not awesome either' -- do you know of a better USB headset (that's under $200)?

Unfortunately not. I don't buy into the "5.1" speaker headphone garbage, personally. If you're looking for a solid headset, get either the 5Hv2 or the Icemat Siberia headphones. In either case, you can get a USB soundcard to run them (the v2 comes with one -- I have it laying around if you want it cheap, shrug). I'm not sure about vista compatibilty with the drivers, although vista installed ones work fine without the control panel.

Let me clarify: I don't think any USB soundcard is great.

Edit: I prefer the 5Hv2 b/c the mic goes into the left speaker cup when not in use. The Icemats have a pin-on mic, which I'm not a fan of.

Are you joking...

For 200 bucks dont even consider things int this range.

your only two feasable options are the beyerdynamic DT770/80 or the Audiotechnica A900s

Steelsound and Icemat are playthings next to em

Ok,

How about the Sennheiser PC166 USB? Why is the PC155 USB so much more popular? I'm assuming since 166 > 155, the 166 are better?

Thanks

In that case you are prolly better off buying a $100 sound card a Pair of HD485s and a clip on mic. ;)

I can't be bothered installing a sound card (or dealing with any hardware, to be honest) -- my computer is basically in pieces as it is, seriously.

I plan to get rid of it and get a laptop before I head off to school, so I'd rather have something that's not dependent on a sound card.

almost every laptop at this point has onboard audio that will be much better than a usb headset.

Your sound card doesn't have an 1/8" port? How do you connect speakers then? It seems very strange to me.:confused:
If the green/pink ports are 1/8, then yes, I do -- but that's not the point. I'm assuming the onboard sound card is junk compared to the USB one.

Ok, so non-USB -- what's the best $150 or under HEADSET (WITH MIC) I can get?

cheers

What's the difference between the Sennheiser PC 150 / 155 / and 166?

Wouldn't the 166 be the best one since 166 > *?

:eek:

serious though. the sennheiser headsets are pretty good for the $$ if you have to have a headset.

Yea, but which one do I get? There are a few models.

Excuse my ignorance.

Is this the BEST one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106381

...or aside from that, what other non-usb headset should I be looking at for less than $150?

should I get the Sennheiser HD555 + a standalone mic? I'm not really a fan of standalone mics -- do you think the HD555 is much better than their headsets?

thanks

YES! Real headphones such as the 555s are way better than headsets. Spend most of your money on the best headphones you can get and then buy a mic for $2.99 imo. I'm looking to buy $200 headphones as well and there are lots of options. Check out the "for sale" forum on head-fi.

Yea, but which one do I get? There are a few models.

Excuse my ignorance.

Is this the BEST one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106381

...or aside from that, what other non-usb headset should I be looking at for less than $150?

should I get the Sennheiser HD555 + a standalone mic? I'm not really a fan of standalone mics -- do you think the HD555 is much better than their headsets?

thanks

Do what i did. Buy a nice set of dedicated cans (e.g. ATH-A700 or some such) and buy a cheap headset with a removable boom mic. I picked one up for $5. Then get some stereo extension cables, velcro the mic to the cans and BAM your headset with boom mic that blows any "real" headset straight out of the water. And i mean outclassing any headset on the market by such a wide margin that it's not even funny.

My recommendation, look at the headphones listed below and get a separate mic. You will get a MUCH better audio experience. Your ears will thank you. These are the 3 most popular and often debated headphones I've come across in your price range.

Beyer Dynamic DT-770
Most bass, sacrifices mid and high range detail. An amp would fix/minimize this though. So you could always improve the sound later on. But by far the most bass you get from a headphone at ANY price range. Not the most detailed bass but there a whole lot of it, which is usually all that matters when it comes to gaming.

Audio Technica ATH-A900 (What I have)
The most balanced. Has nice solid bass that has some impact. But not as "big/boomy" as the DT-770s. It's the best overall headphone for everything. Gaming, movies, music.

Sennheiser HD-595
Has the least amount of bass, but midrange and highs are crystal clear. Very good for positional audio since footsteps etc are not drowned out by excessive bass. Very good for classical/jazz music. Good but not great for everything else.

There are always sacrifices when purchasing headphones. Pick the one that fits your need the "best".

Back