~$200 Budget What Cool, Quiet, Large Case?

sethk

2[H]4U
Actually Budget is not my top priority, but here are things I do care about:

- Decent Size, Needs to Fit a 8800U / 9800GTX size card, and enough drives (2 Optical + floppy + 4 HDDs). Should fit a decent size cooler - I had to mod the last Antec P182 I built to fit the Thermalright HSF (and had to remove a drive cage to fit the 10.5" vid card.)
- Should be easy to work with (decent cable routing options, I don't like removing drive bays, I like removable motherboard trays, thumb screws and easy to remove side panels are nice, etc.)
- Prefer front door or other 5.25 drive hiding options
- Should look nice (subjective, but I dont want an ugly case.)
I would love to have a XPS 710 style case (other than the lights) but BTX is out of the question. I like the looks of the Cooler Master Stacker 832 and Cosmos S cases, some of the Silverstones, etc. My current case is a now old Cooler Master "Wavemaster" that I don't mind the look of.
- Decent cooling while still being quiet, including for HDDs
- Dont like the 'gaudy look', prefer no clear side window, and I would remove any lights, even if that means replacing LED fans that come with the case. If I found a perfect case with the only negative being clear side window, I guess I would place sound proofing matting over that side. Mesh sides are OK as long as the case isnt crazy noisy.

I don't mind adding and replacing things like fans etc to meet these goals but obviously the closer it is to meeting these requirements the better. What would you suggest?

Aside from your complaints about it, I'd say the P180/P182 is actually one of the best possible cases for you right now. Maybe a Lian-Li of some description.

It may be a little boring looking, but maybe try the Rocketfish full tower that BestBuy is blowing out. Depending on the store, you can find it from $47 to $99. Very large interior. Replace the fans with some quiet ones. No window. Drive hiding door. Tons of room for the longer vid cards.

Just an idea.:)

Back