20% Of All Online Retail Goes to Amazon

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new report out today claims that half of all online retail sales go to only three sites. The report also says that a full 20% of all online sales went to Amazon alone. :eek:

A new report from Companiesandmarkets.com finds the worldwide online retail marketplace is actually very consolidated. According to the report, during June 2011 fully half of all online retail visits worldwide went to just three companies: Amazon.com, eBay, and China’s Alibaba.

Up with AMAZON!

Down with eBay!
(they do not pay if you get scammed, even by a 100% verified seller/paypaller like they claim with their "$10,000" insurnace... it's all BS and lies, believe me I know that best after trusting their "safe system" and reporting like they wanted only ended up screwing me over the most)

Up with craigslist not ebay!

Not surprising. Not only does Amazon have good prices but they have top notch customer service. They treat their customers right and aren't one of those "We ship you the thing and if there are any problems go talk to someone else," places.

There's not much to dislike about them.

Like other have said, not surprising. If I need to buy something Amazon is the first place I check. Not only do they usually have what I need, but the price is usually lower than elsewhere. Can't beat free two day shipping and great customer support either. *thumbsup*

It is not that interesting since all three of the top three aggregate smaller sellers into marketplaces (ie a virtual mall).

Where does the Egg fit? I <3 the Egg. :)

The Egg used to be great, now they are subpar.

I order everything from Amazon these days unless there are drastically lower prices on other sites with good reputations. Only issue with Amazon? Damn do I have a lot of boxes downstairs, even after recycling center trips.

I know several older people who have no problems ordering from Amazon but won't consider anyone else. They've just done a remarkable job over the years in proving that they are secure and have good customer service.

Indeed, I don't order from Amazon a whole lot but from what I've bought, I like their service.

Where does the Egg fit? I <3 the Egg. :)

I do like Newegg still, but honestly their shipping policy/standards have gone way down. Seems like most everything you have to pay for shipping now, and it's generally pretty crappy shipping service anyway.

Even though Amazon charges sales tax here, most of the time I will order through them anyway for the free 2day shipping via Prime. If it was a big-ticket item I'd probably still go Newegg, though, just because of the tax.

Well deserved too, Amazon is the shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii+

The one time I have bought from Amazon which was about a year ago the shipment took over a week. It was some DDR3 memory and had no problems but the shipping was slow. Maybe most retailers use uber cheap shipping for memory though. I believe it was the same type shipping Newegg uses for their super saver shipping where UPS hands it off to USPS.

Everything I order online goes through either Amazon or Newegg.

Can't honestly remember the last time I ordered something that wasn't through those two.

If Newegg got out of California, they would be up there as well. 9%+ in tax for CA residents is probably losing them hundreds of million or more of sales each year.

Eh... wouldn't Newegg still get taxed with all the bs about state tax recently?

Eh... wouldn't Newegg still get taxed with all the bs about state tax recently?

No tax on amazon yet anyways....Still fighting it. This was my Corsair 600t case I bought a few weeks back.

600ta.jpg

I've never bought anything from any of those three companies.

Newegg would be #1 if it were just computer hardware.

Most of my orders are from Amazon.com. I <3 Prime. The second most popular place for me to order stuff is from Newegg.

alibaba ?

alibaba sells garbage. and the good stuff they sell isn't cheap either. WTF

Newegg is makes it easier to find computer parts, and the reviews make it easier too (not necessarily reading them, just sorting by most reviews throws out all the junk). I generally go to newegg, figure out the exact model number of what I want, then go past it in amazon to actually buy it. FU newegg for shitty prices these days.

The Egg used to be great, now they are subpar.

I order everything from Amazon these days unless there are drastically lower prices on other sites with good reputations. Only issue with Amazon? Damn do I have a lot of boxes downstairs, even after recycling center trips.

i'm with you on the Egg, had bad run for last couple of times, Ordered touch screen for client and made me run arounds on DOA product and in the end i had to pay additional $58 for shipping, now on $250 product, that's another 20% extra.

Amazon on the other hand, provided quick return and fast shipping when i had trouble.

i'm with you on the Egg, had bad run for last couple of times, Ordered touch screen for client and made me run arounds on DOA product and in the end i had to pay additional $58 for shipping, now on $250 product, that's another 20% extra.

Amazon on the other hand, provided quick return and fast shipping when i had trouble.

that's another thing i hate about newegg. so stingy with the shipping.
that's why i'm hesitant to buy any big item from newegg.

amazon gets my business because of their free shipping and returns.

when you're selling that much stuff, you shouldn't stick shipping fees to the buyer.

I do most of my shopping online for new non-digital goods through Amazon.

Monitor, tv, blu rays, misc items, etc.

Mainly because I have dealt with their CS a few times over the years and EACH time they have went above and beyond normal CS for me.

You only have to ask and they'll likely hlep you out.

My monitor went bad a year or so ago. I ordered one on Amazon and when I received it, it had a very noticeable backlight bleeding at one corner

Normally when you return something, you send it back, they receive it and send you one out. However I emailed Amazon and explained that I needed a monitor (do some business online) and asked if there was anyway they could send a replacement and then I send the defective one back when I receive it, I received an email a few hours later saying it was shipped out next-day air and to mail it the old one back when it gets there, was NOT expecting that kind of simple, fast, and very understanding CS.

It's just something that after you experience it, not once but mutliple times having a few problems here and there and always getting people that help you out, it's hard to shop at other stores that do things like Charge you re-stocking fee's, don't take back opened items, don't cover return shipping, accuse you of lying, etc.

Easily the best CS I've ever dealt with time and again my entire life, trumps any other store I've shopped at easily.

if it is computer stuff, i use newegg. their standard 3 day shipping gets it to me the very next day since they have a local warehouse here in los angeles.

everything else, amazon.

This is just bizarre to me. I can't stand Amazon. The website layout confuses me all to pieces, the search never shows what I was looking for, and I've never found anything (except cell phones and I got a blu-ray set from a.co.uk) that was actually a good deal. I'm from Seattle, I have relatives who work there, I got married in their 180-degree-view conference room... but I'm just not a fan. I've gotten more from shirt.woot than I have from Amazon.

If Newegg got out of California, they would be up there as well. 9%+ in tax for CA residents is probably losing them hundreds of million or more of sales each year.

Sorry, won't let me edit my last post so I have to double up. 9.5% in Seattle for Amazon. CA has more buyers than WA, granted, but it stings like the dickens when you actually do want to buy something and have it jacked up by that much.

Don't worry, Amazon will have to pay it sooner or later.

I like amazon because of no taxes. I order out of state also since there are no taxes. Already pay so many taxes as it is. I signed a petition outside a store not that long ago for amazon to win their case to have no taxes.

Back