2 x GTS 250 = what?

roughly a gtx 285, usually better, but the gts is a waste, if your going to spend $300 go with the 5850.

i am wondering if i buy 2 x GTS 250. what is 2x gts 250 equal to?

Yup... it's a 285. If you Google it there are a few SLI reviews that confirm this.

If you can get a good deal on them go for it- the 250s make good physx cards as well. So if you upgrade to a better single or SLI setup later you can use one of the 250s for physx.

Worked for me.

its not equal to a 285. only 512 mb of framebuffer. watch the VRAM kiddies...& stop looking @ raw benchmarks...

A 285 would blow GTS 250 SLI out of the water in real world game play.

I cant believe nobody has given the correct answer yet. Two GTS 250 equals GTS 250 SLI. haha had to. Just look at a 285 or so and you should get better value.

Your post=trolling.
Funny when you consider the card you have on your sig...

The card in my sig has 2 GB framebuffer. And it's not trolling it's the truth. GTS 250 is basically 9800 GTX SLI 512 MB and it stinks. Simply not enough VRAM.

There isn't enough framebuffer for smooth gameplay. Framebuffer made the 8800 GT 256 MB pure junk. Not enough VRAM.

GTS 250 will match a GTX 280 in some raw benchies but it will it not provide the smooth gameplay nor the minimum frame rates a 280/285 will. I've owned both of these options so I know first-hand that GTX 280/285 is a far better option.

People who have no idea what they are talking about are making opinions based on what they read... I don't have to read a review.... I know first hand.

I know from experience that two 512mb 8800gt's in SLI cannot match a GTX 260. The GTS 250 has more shaders and higher clocks than an 8800gt, and some GTS 250's have a 1gb framebuffer. Provided the GTS 250s had 1gb, it is conceivable that two of them could beat a GTX 260 in real-wold gameplay. I don't know about a GTX 275, however.

The card in my sig has 2 GB framebuffer. And it's not trolling it's the truth. GTS 250 is basically 9800 GTX SLI 512 MB and it stinks. Simply not enough VRAM.

There isn't enough framebuffer for smooth gameplay. Framebuffer made the 8800 GT 256 MB pure junk. Not enough VRAM.

GTS 250 will match a GTX 280 in some raw benchies but it will it not provide the smooth gameplay nor the minimum frame rates a 280/285 will. I've owned both of these options so I know first-hand that GTX 280/285 is a far better option.

People who have no idea what they are talking about are making opinions based on what they read... I don't have to read a review.... I know first hand.

I don't think you understand what framebuffer means :p but non the less.

Your setup 4850x2 has only 1GB of VRAM per GPU, so you don't have 2GB "framebuffer" even though that's not that's not what a frame buffer is :D

the GTS250 has 512 per gpu, or 1GB total when SLI, if you really want to stick to claiming your card has 2GB then you need to say that the GTS 250 has 1GB

and the only place 512 would becoming a limitation is high AA @ 1920 or >1920 period.

and you're also assuming that the GTS 250 they are talking about, is a 512M model, they do come in both 512M and 1GB

AND you're wrong
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf-gts250-sli_8.html#sect1

the GTS250 sli is faster then a GTX285

Most 250's are 1gb, they run quite well in SLI, usually on par with a 280. Also, a 4850x2 does not have a 2gb "framebuffer", it has 1gb per gpu.

Most 250's are 1gb, they run quite well in SLI, usually on par with a 280. Also, a 4850x2 does not have a 2gb "framebuffer", it has 1gb per gpu.

This is wrong. Some 250 are 1 GB most are 512 MB.

Your setup 4850x2 has only 1GB of VRAM per GPU, so you don't have 2GB "framebuffer" even though that's not that's not what a frame buffer is :D

the GTS250 has 512 per gpu, or 1GB total when SLI, if you really want to stick to claiming your card has 2GB then you need to say that the GTS 250 has 1GB

and the only place 512 would becoming a limitation is high AA @ 1920 or >1920 period.

and you're also assuming that the GTS 250 they are talking about, is a 512M OESNmodel, they do come in both 512M and 1GB

I know it's 1 GB per GPU. Thank you professors. And no AA means it DOESN'T PERFORM AS WELL AS A 285.

I know it's 1 GB per GPU. Thank you professors. And no AA means it DOESN'T PERFORM AS WELL AS 285.

no it doesn't no AA @ 1920x1200 where even the GTX285 might struggle with AA depending on the game, and that's only for the 512M model

if you know its 1GB per GPU then why would you claim the GTS 250 sli has only 512M when it's clearly 1GB or 512M per GPU :p

and again, i'll post it for you once more, YOU'RE WRONG

90% of the time, the GTS 250 SLI is faster, AT every resolution, with AA
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf-gts250-sli_9.html#sect1

no it doesn't no AA @ 1920x1200 where even the GTX285 might struggle with AA depending on the game, and that's only for the 512M model

if you know its 1GB per GPU then why would you claim the GTS 250 sli has only 512M when it's clearly 1GB or 512M per GPU :p

and again, i'll post it for you once more, YOU'RE WRONG

90% of the time, the GTS 250 SLI is faster, AT every resolution, with AA
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf-gts250-sli_9.html#sect1

I don't need to read a review you dope. I've owned both.

GTS 250 1Gb SLi is roughly equivalent to a single GTX 280/5. Usually performing within +/- 10% depending on benchmark/game. According to nVidia, a single GTS 250 1Gb sits firmly between a 9800GTX+ and the GTX 260 in most performance benchmark tests.

"The term "framebuffer" has also entered into colloquial usage to refer to a backing store of graphical information. The key feature that differentiates a framebuffer from memory used to store graphics — the output device — is lost in this usage."

I used the term properly, thank you.

This is wrong. Some 250 are 1 GB most are 512 MB.

I know it's 1 GB per GPU. Thank you professors. And no AA means it DOESN'T PERFORM AS WELL AS A 285.

You haven't owned anyone, you've been spewing a bunch of bullshit from your first post, which is WRONG, I don't care if you've owned both, I can link you to 3 reviews that say you're wrong, and all 3 of the reviewers are way more credible then you are.

"The term "framebuffer" has also entered into colloquial usage to refer to a backing store of graphical information. The key feature that differentiates a framebuffer from memory used to store graphics — the output device — is lost in this usage."

I used the term properly, thank you.

This is a lost cause :D

You haven't owned anyone, you've been spewing a bunch of bullshit from your first post, which is WRONG, I don't care if you've owned both, I can link you to 3 reviews that say you're wrong, and all 3 of the reviewers are way more credible then you are.

I never said I "owned" anyone. I said I OWNED both 9800 GTX+ SLI and GTX 285. I don't give care about reviewers bc I already know.

This is a lost cause :D

You tell me what it is then, genius. Explain it to me.

I never said I "owned" anyone. I said I OWNED both 9800 GTX+ SLI and GTX 285. I don't give care about reviewers bc I already know.

Framebuffer was used incorrectly and nice quote from Wikii btw.

I miss read the first part, then fixed it and forgot to take out the first part :p

You don't know how to use google :p?

a frame buffer, is a portion of the memory reserved for storing rendered frames waiting to be displayed. The memory on the Video Card is used for more then just frame buffering, it's probably a smaller portion of it.

Ok to the OP, 1. how much are you spending? 2. if ou are spending more then 150 on both, which you probably will, then it is a waste, they are only worth it if they are cheap.

I would recommend a gtx 260 core 216 over two gts 250's, yes gts 250 in sli will get you more performance, but you have to take in to consideration that you are using two cards vs. one, and you can always add a second gts 260 and get way better performance.

I honestly won't purchase a gts 250 unless it was only for physx, and it would have to be super cheap. If you are buying them at half the price each go for it.

if someone recommended hd 5850 then they are telling you an absolute truth. I have a gtx 480 but if you are gonna spend 250-300 on two gts 250's then one hd 5850 at tiger direct with 13% bing cashback is the winner here.

I miss read the first part, then fixed it and forgot to take out the first part :p

You don't know how to use google :p?

a frame buffer, is a portion of the memory reserved for storing rendered frames waiting to be displayed. The memory on the Video Card is used for more then just frame buffering, it's probably a smaller portion of it.

Sigh. Like that isn't what I said. :confused:

Framebuffer was used incorrectly and nice quote from Wikii btw.

I didn't disguise that it came from Wiki. And apparantly you aren't familiar with the English language. I used it correctly. I dare you to tell me how i'm wrong.

I wont even try to argue with you as you have proven yourself to know nothing about what your are talking about and even on the face of evidence you still think you are the only one that really knows things so it would be pointless....you go on with your believes and super technical stuff comprehension...and your awesome 2GB card :D
Regards

lol ego much?

God forbid anyone with proof in hand disagrees with your opinion :rolleyes:

No it's not ego. I'm trying to tell the OP that GTS 250 is NOT like GTX 285. Two totally different beasts.

I know from experience. That's all. You can take it or leave it but don't tell me I'm wrong.

Your define it as being something it isnt .Frame Buffer is a feature that uses a partial amount of the total GDDR i can read just fine, Tired of noobs coming on here spewing copy and paste from wikii thinking they know what they are talking about. The original poster was asking for help not an ego trip. Frame Buffer is affected by resolution.Do you need explanantion of this too, or are your super tech skillz adept? Oooh dare you haha lame.

Last edited:
Sigh. Like that isn't what I said. :confused:

I didn't disguise that it came from Wiki. And apparantly you aren't familiar with the English language. I used it correctly. I dare you to tell me how i'm wrong.

that's far from what you said, you referred to the total VIDEO MEMORY as the frame buffer, which is incorrect :p but a lot of people are doing it now a days so I was just splittin hairs.

By the way Wiki is not always right.

and to the OP, if you are buying new, there are better options =) if you already have a GTS250, then maybe not so bad.

your awesome 2GB card :D
Regards

thank you. I have enjoyed my card. A very good one with plenty of VRAM FOR FRAMEBUFFER. 1 GB per GPU...as if I didn't know that. ;) Unlike the GTS 250 with only 512 MB of VRAM per gpu which is what i've been saying this whole thread.

thank you. I have enjoyed my card. A very good one with plenty of VRAM FOR FRAMEBUFFER. 1 GB per GPU...as if I didn't know that. ;) Unlike the GTS 250 with only 512 MB of VRAM per gpu which is what i've been saying this whole thread.

No you said it has a 512M frame buffer, 0.0 and even if you had said 512M VRAM, you would have been wrong, The OP never mentioned 512 or 1GB, the card comes in both.

0.o man I don't think in the history of HardForum Have I ever seen someone be so wrong about so many things in a single thread :D

No you said it has a 512M frame buffer, 0.0 and even if you had said 512M VRAM, you would have been wrong, The OP never mentioned 512 or 1GB, the card comes in both.

0.o man I don't think in the history of HardForum Have I ever seen someone be so wrong about so many things in a single thread :D

lol ok.

enjoy GTS 250 SLI. rofl....:p

No it's not ego. I'm trying to tell the OP that GTS 250 is NOT like GTX 285. Two totally different beasts.

I know from experience. That's all. You can take it or leave it but don't tell me I'm wrong.

And the reviewers who you so quickly brushed aside? They don't have an experience with the hardware they are reviewing?

Your main complaint seems to be related to the framebuffer size. While it's true that a smaller framebuffer will result in a bottleneck in certain situations, it's something that you are able to anticipate and work around. Framebuffer requirements are going to vary wildly depending on the resolution used, level of AA (and even type of AA), texture resolution, etc.

If you don't typically use much AA and/or don't have a monitor with a very large resolution then a smaller frame-buffer might not be a big deal. Some people don't even like to use AA or just leave it at something like 2x. To a large degree monitor resolutions have plateaued at 1920x1080. Considering that 1920x1200 has typically been the tipping point where you see large gains from 1gb VRam, I'd say most with reasonable in-game settings would be just fine with 512mb.

So this is turning into quite the war...

If you are going to spend 300 on video cards. Get a 5850, it'll run cooler, use less power and space, DX11, and has Eyefinity.

Why you would want to buy 2 old cards, low end nonetheless, baffles me. :D

You're all raging over semantics. The fact of the matter is that two GTS 250 1gb cards in SLI will perform well (and will likely match or beat a GTX 260), but there's no reason to use such a config, since you can get a 5850 for cheaper. Hell, dual 5770's are nearly the same price and perform better.

Back