2 Video cards but not sli?

jimmer411

Weaksauce
I was wondering if it was possible to have 2 different video cards, but not use them for SLI or Crossfire. Say, Midrange DX10 for Vista and High end DX9 for XP. Would it work?

I've made it work before with an agp and a pci card. It was an nvidia and a trident card and it worked great.

you are gonna need drivers made for that situation i think.

I was wondering if it was possible to have 2 different video cards, but not use them for SLI or Crossfire. Say, Midrange DX10 for Vista and High end DX9 for XP. Would it work?

It work but I really dont see the point in this. Why dont you just get a 8800 or future R600(do not flame on card, just giving suggestions)and have High end DX9 in XP, High end DX9 in Vista and DX10 in Vista. I just dont see the point in having 2 cards in a system for a dual boot setup when you can just get a 8800 or future R600 that do the best of both worlds.

It work but I really dont see the point in this. Why dont you just get a 8800 or future R600(do not flame on card, just giving suggestions)and have High end DX9 in XP, High end DX9 in Vista and DX10 in Vista. I just dont see the point in having 2 cards in a system for a dual boot setup when you can just get a 8800 or future R600 that do the best of both worlds.

Point for this may be more than 2 monitors? maybe he's got 4 of them kicking around? Lets see SLI do that, or a single card :)

Because honestly my x850xt plays everything I like perfectly, and there is not a single DX10 game on the market in the near future that intrests me. Sure crysis looks good, but if it plays anything like farcry Ill pass. Too many games are all graphics and no gameplay these days. if the 1950xt hits $150 when R600 comes out, Id rather just throw that in and get a cheap X2300 for vista till drivers and DX 10 matures, or some FUN games come out. 8800 and nvidias drivers are far from impressive, and I have my doubts about R600 to an extent. FX series left a sour taste in my mouth with early adoption to DX9.

Ive got a buyer for my X850Xt for $100, so 150-200 for the top end of DX9 is very feasable. I only want a cheap DX10 card for media, $100 max. Yea I know a R600 will accomplish the same, and so will an 8800 but $600 isnt worth it in my eyes. I dont got time for 3dmark scores and such.

If I can just install drivers for the DX9 card in XP and disable the DX10 card via device manager and do the same in vista, but use the DX10 card primarily then Ill be satasfied, since the DX10 card will be be running my 42" HDTV im soon to purchase and the DX9 will run my computer monitor.

buying two cards will invite headache, imho. For example, if you disable one videocard in vista and another in xp, you'll have to switch primary video card in bios each time you switch from one OS to another. Besides, how much money you gonna save by getting a second videocard? OK, if you don't like r600 or 8800, and intend to get mid-range dx10 video, well, why don't you settle just for that? I'm sure it'll be plenty for any dx9 game you throw at it, and might even top the best of what dx9-only videocards have to offer...

I thought about that untill I seen 8600 benchmarks lol. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137964 Pretty much on par with an X850 as far as 3D mark goes.. I dont know if I would throw a 8600 at my 21' monitor lol.

It will still be cheaper to go my route since I will be paying $200 max out of my pocket for both cards, possibly less if the low end DX10 cards are cheaper. Im still not completely ready for a full switch to vista for gaming, but like it for a media center.

Since it would boot up as a dual monitor setup I would have the DX9 card running on my computer monitor, and the DX10 card running on my TV.

I havent made the switch yet, Im running MCE currently so I may just scrap the whole Idea.

jeez, are you gonna play 3dmark? Wait until the cards are released before judging them by suspect benchies. I don't think the NDA is lifted for those yet. Besides, you can buy 8800gts 640 for a little more than $300 these days, which will be like $200 after you sell your old card...

Back