2 power supplies on one system?

I have a 480w and a 450w and i need them both to run on the same system. in total there are the 3 ports on the motherboard, plus 2 hard drives and cd rom, and a massive video card. The guy i talked to said for the video card to run, i would need a 550w psu atleast, hence the reason i just added a 2nd one i had lying around. which configuration would be best to hold the load of a video card that takes about 200w?

are there any tips i should know before messing around with 2x psus?

What video card do you have that takes 200 watts? In any case, you'll need to make a custom wiring harness to turn both PSUs on when the power button is pushed. What brand are these power supplies? Why not buy a single large Enermax or Antec that will handle the load?

im using the massive en7800 gt dual, it has a separate 150w psu, but still takes about 150+ watts from the motherboard. Im using a 480w antec truepowerand a 450w ttgi superflower.

i have them both running right now, i cant buy a nice one because im baroke!!!

We are really going to need a full systm spec,and the power draws for that card......and the ratings on those PSU's.

Also you are using a total of 3 PSU's?

no i was using a 2nd psu to power just the hard drives, but the 1st psu ( the antec) isnt strong enough to hold up just the card and mobo. I tried splitting the power between each psu,(and not using the extra one that came iwth the card) but it didnt work. I called antec to see what was up, and the guy said "well youre using a 20 pin psu on a 24 pin mobo, so there is your problem. you need those extra 4 pins! so go out and buy an adapter and it will work" and it didnt. so i really dont know what to try next. Another problem im noticing is i cant get the system to post if i put my memory in dual channel. only if they are in non-dc slots will they work.'

anyone got anymore suggestions?

freeofparanoia said:
anyone got anymore suggestions?

We are really going to need a full system spec,and the power draws for that card......and the ratings on those PSU's.

system spec :
ath 64 3500+
an8-sli
2x1024 ocz 3200
en7800 gt dual 512

psu's
antec true 480w (28a-12v, 38a-5v, 30a -3.3v)
TTGI superflower pro 450w (18a-12v ;(,45a-5v, 28a-3.3v)

the card draws "says the asus guy"
300w. There is a power supply that plugs into the back of the card that takes 150w, so another 150w comes from the motherboard. ill check the manual but the included one sucks

AFAIK...its not the wattage you should be concerned about...more about how many amps is needed and how many amps is put out by the PSU's in concern...

28 seems like enough i think =/ im going to check the manual. it only has like a basic manual for all asus video cards, so gay considering how difficult this one is to install. right now im really just trying to narrow down the problem, but i have no where i can test each card. im just leaning more towards "the psu isnt powerful enough" over "the card is dead and gone"

I wouldn't get anything less than a PC P&C 510 SLI or a Fortron 700w for that Asus dual 7800gt beast of a card.

freeofparanoia said:
well i invested in a new power supply and im still not having any luck. should i rma the card or what?

What do you mean ? System doesn't power on or what ?

Spending money on top rated components then not having money for the psu is weird. You took the whole setup from the wrong viewpoint.

i got a 550w Antec Neo HE but i found out the psu wasnt the problem, it was something else. You dont need a massive psu to power this card , it has its own psu to take care of most of the power. now the only problem im having is getting both cores to run

freeofparanoia said:
i got a 550w Antec Neo HE but i found out the psu wasnt the problem, it was something else. You dont need a massive psu to power this card , it has its own psu to take care of most of the power. now the only problem im having is getting both cores to run

Please explain the "You dont need a massive psu to power this card , it has its own psu to take care of most of the power" since the only way for this is to do some esoteric modding to make it work. And esoteric modding mean arranging the wires so you power up both together.

no i mean that there is a connector in the back for its own external psu it comes with that plugs straight into the wall. look it up.

Back