2 PC Network Question. Help Please

qtqc

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone I have a quick networking question. What I would like to do is get internet on my one pc by wireing it to another pc which gets it internet wireless. I hooked the one pc without the internet to the internet pc via there ethernet ports, is there a way that I can get the one to get internet from the other? Thanks

cross over cable and set up a peer to peer network and ICS as well....HTH

If you want something a little more elegant, you can get a wireless acess point, and tell it to be a client. Then, get a cheap hub and some cable.

Using the internet connection sharing thing requires one computer to be on whenever the other one wants to talk, and also requires proxy settings on the other machine.

If by "peer to peer" you mean just sharing files and printer, just hook the computers together using a hub or switch (or use a cross-over cable). Give both of them the same workgroup name, but different computer names. Then, enable sharing for whichever printers/folders that you want to share. It is also very helpful if whoever is logged in on one machine has an account with the same user name on the other machine. That is it!

This assumes that you do not have any 3rd party firewall installed. If you do, then you may need to add your local subnet (or just the IP of the other machine) to the "trusted zone".

This also assumes that you have a DHCP server somewhere. If not, you will have to assign static IP addresses.

Of course, the security of such a setup is a little more complicated. But your security is greatly enhanced by a NAT broadband router.

simplest and least expensive cross over cable as stated above and the following setup will get you what you need.. little more expensive would be buying a hub or switch and putting into the mix with the following setup..

If hes using ICS he will have a dhcp server provided with the ICS service on the machine hes sharing the Internet on...

and also just use the network setup wizard it will walk you right through with no problems and configure pretty much everything for you.. easiest way to go about it.

Back