2 partitions or 2 hard drives?

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm replacing my WD800JB and WD400JB with one Samsung 160GB SP1614C. Currently, I have all my information on the WD800JB, with the WD400JB serving as a backup/paging file drive. I plan to partition my new drive into 2 partitions of 80GB so that I don't have to use two HDDs.

Will I see a loss in performance? Is it better to have 2 partitions or 2 physical HDDs? If the loss in performance is not much, then I will sell my existing HDDs; otherwise I will have to keep one of them.

there is a distinct advantage to having a seperate HDD for the pagingfile (ideally on a seperate channel),
but how heavily its currently employed will have alot to do with your percieved change in performance.

From not much to why in the hell is it taking so long?
(Graphics employ the pagefile alot)

you might want to log it under the current setup and see
example

Mmm. Okay. I see. So it's best to keep a separate drive for paging file.

again it really depends on how the pagefile is employed
some aps require it, other users have managed to relegated it to a RAMdisk without suffering performance loss

XP manages it pretty good, even on a single HDD
if your doing graphics Id definately recommend a seperate HDD
even multiple pagefiles (see link above)

Yeah, I do graphics, gaming, etc. etc. you name it.

One thing I never understood.

Everyone says they like to have a separate partition/drive for programs. Well, what happens if Windows crashes and you have to do a clean install again? You are still gonna have to re-install all your programs, right? So what's the point?

Back