2 issues- one being my hard drive crashed

Egekrusher

Gawd
Hey guys,

1. One of my hard drives just went kaput. I was ripping a CD for my collection, and it stuck about halfway through. Froze my system up completely. Had to reboot. It ran a scandisk of it's own accord (which is odd, this is WinXP), and said that it lost the folder that I was ripping into. No big deal. So, I try to do it again.. froze again. This time, Scandisk came back and said it had "recovered" 2,282 files. It stores the recovered files as .chk files. Now, I've renamed some of these files and opened them up, and they appear to be functioning still (just have to change the extension on them).

My question is, is there any way to restore these files? I have over 2,000 mp3 files that are kaput right now. Sure, I could go through and rename the extensions on all of them... but on 2000 files? No way.

At the very least, could you name a program for me that will go through and change extensions on a mass scale?

2 . When I try to copy from my backup CD's that I made about 2 months ago, I get an error " Cannot copy file : Data cyclic redundancy error"

These are mp3 files that are on this CD. I made 18 of them to back up my collection. It does the same thing on all 18 of them. The thing is, it only does it on the latter part of the CD, ie the first 80 or so song's are ok to copy from the cd to my computer, but any files after that give me that error message. It does this on EVERY one of those CD's. The thing is, I know that the files are ok. I can throw the CD in my MP3 cd player, and it works just fine, I can also throw the CD in my computer and open up the files in question, and they'll play just fine, I just can't copy the damn things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dig up the data corruption thread and start hammering away with tests. Sounds like something on the board itself, be it the processor, memory, or controllers. Perhaps even the cables, but I doubt it unless both drives are on the same cable; it's odd to see two or more cables go out at once.

Could it be the PSU? My machine is kinda underpowered. I have a 350W Antec PSU running a full ATX mobo, XP2100+, 2x 256MB sticks of RAM, Geforce 4 Ti 4200, 80 pin SCSI card, a ton of USB peripherals (webcam, usb zip, usb keychain drive, mouse, keyboard), 4 hard drives, a CD-RW drive, and 6x 80mm case fans. Would a flaky power source cause something like this?

a) either you had this corruption problem when you burned the disks, perhaps in a lesser form but there regardless

b) you're testing in a defective system which will throw the results off

If you're not already, test the CDs in a known-good system. If it comes back as corrupted, yeah, I think A is the problem and you are indeed screwed.

Back