2 intel mobos xpsp2 = pio mode only????

joobjoob

Gawd
my old p3 compaq and my viao p3 laptop after the install of xpsp2 will only select pio mode.

needless to say dma2 was slow enough for the laptop. im normally an amd guy thats where all my new stuff is. but what is with these intel chipsets and does anyone know a work around?? as if a p3 wasnt slow enough this hard drive speed is wrenching my brain

Download and install the latest Intel Chipset drivers. If your not sure what chipsets they are download the Intel Chipset Identification Utility.

Now it's possible that the motherboard chipsets are something other than Intel chipsets, in which case you'd again need the appropriate Windows XP drivers.

thanks for the tips frags. according to intel both chipsets are natively supported.

when i did find drivers for the chipset. the installer said i did not need them with winxp and wouldnt even let me get the inf files out to do it manually.

any otherideas ??

so after a bit of fiddling i now have both pc's working with the proper dma level showing up.

i had to go into device manager /ideuata controller/updatedriver/advanced choose my own/

there i found xpsp2 showed 3 compatible drivers. "IDE BUSMASTERCONTROLLER" is the one that on both pc's let would enable dma mode.

however the other driver and the one installed by default would only select pio mode.

hope that helps someone else. you may want to check your pc after installing service pack2 ecspecially if you are getting dvd jumpiness

Back