2-in-1 recommendations

big_aug

2[H]4U
Currently, my primary Windows device is an Asus Transformer Book T100. I absolutely love it. I want to upgrade to a,bit larger device with some more power. Primary uses will be music recording/production, web browsing, and basic office tasks. I might do some very light gaming. Is the Surface Pro 3 really the only option? I really like the way the keyboard works on the T100. I know the SP3 doesnt work the same way. Is there a bigger, more powerful Transformer Book like device out there?

From what Im seeing, most devices like this are running Core Ms which dont seem great. Any suggestions? Detachable keyboard or some sort of excellent tablet mode is absolutely necessary.

You're running into physics problems essentially.

The issue with a detachable keyboard like the T100 with a larger device is that the counterweight (the keyboard portion) will need to be proportionately heavier and larger to make the setup work. Due to this the larger devices will be foldable designs instead with more hardware moved to the keyboard base section (eg. Yoga 3 Pro type devices).

In terms of performance you're basically running into thermal limitations. Anything beyond a Baytrail or Core-M class product will require active cooling and a thicker and larger chassis to properly support. The SP3 is among (I think by far now?) the thinniest and smallest device now with a higher class CPU (in terms of TDP, a ULV CPU) but can only achieve that by allowing heavy throttling under extended use (eg. gaming).

So you'll need to temper your expectations and choose what type of size and performance criteria you're willing to go with.

I'd wait for Skylake devices.

What do you mean by "very light gaming?"

What kind of games do you want to play? I've got a Core M based tablet (with removable keyboard) and it managed SW: The Old Republic and Payday 2 (720p on low) so far. Got a bit toasty in one corner but that'd be the processor getting a workout.

Have used i5 Surface Pro 3 and Core M 5Y10 Thinkpad Helix 2nd generation. For games like Trine 2 the SP3 throttled down to single fps @ 720p so it was unplayable while the Helix2 maintained a consistent ~30 fps without throttling and it's even fanless. Have also played Battlefield 4 at near 30 fps @ 720p. Third person RTS should be even better.

Wait for Skylake if you are serious about getting a new device that will last. The increase in iGPU performance should put devices powered by Skylake Core Ms into the performance range you are looking at.

If you must buy now, SP3 or Venue 11 are probably your best options.

I think I'm going to try and find a used Asus T300 Chi to use for a while and see what the next gen has to offer. I've done some more reading and the Core M processors don't seem too bad for my purposes right now.

I am looking into Lenovo Miix 3 2-in-1 which has nicely looking dock with keyboard. Is the keyboard working only when the tablet is inserted in the dock or is it also working when tablet is at some distance from it (via Bluetooth?) ?

I am looking into Lenovo Miix 3 2-in-1 which has nicely looking dock with keyboard. Is the keyboard working only when the tablet is inserted in the dock or is it also working when tablet is at some distance from it (via Bluetooth?) ?

Beware Lenovo with built-in rootkit like objects...
Far as the keyboard goes, it's just like the Surface line and Venue 11 ones, there's contacts on the bottom of the tablet that get used for the keyboard.

Back