2 gig (4 x 512) dual channel

kstevege

n00b
I have been running 2x512 dual channel nicely for over one year. I just bought another 2x512 for slots 2 & 4 for a toal of 2 gig (4 x 512). I bought same brand and model (Samsung pc3700). Now each pair was certified dual channel. And each stick works well on its own and works well for dual channal paired by themselves (2 x 512) However, once I install all 4 sticks into the appropropraite slots, my games freeze. I don't understand what the problem is. Here are my specs:

2.8 P4
MSI 865PE NEo 2 motherboard
WIndows XP Pro
nvidia 5900 FX

PLEASE HELP!!!

I thought of that too so I tried evey possible combination of slots. 2 ram cards work well in dual channel whether it be slot 1 & 3 or slot 2 & 4. So I do not think it is the motherboard. Also, 3 sticks of ram work well also (However I think this destroys the dual channel function.)

I know for my board, a gigabyte, the only way that the 4th DIMM will work in dual channel is if the DIMM is single sided. i.e. ram chips only on one side of the DIMM. Not sure about MSI though

Sorry I was a bit off in my last post. Please note that this is for my Gigabyte mobo.
In order for Dual Channel to work with 4 modules installed it has to be like this:

DIMM1 DIMM2 DIMM3 DIMM4
DS/SS DS/SS SS SS

kstevege just found on page 2-7 of the manual for your mobo that the modules have to be the same density as well as type in order for dual channel to work.

It's pretty well known that 4 sticks give the memory controller a [H]arder time you may have to slacken the latencys a little or increase the Vmem .

[H]alcyon441 said:
I know for my board, a gigabyte, the only way that the 4th DIMM will work in dual channel is if the DIMM is single sided. i.e. ram chips only on one side of the DIMM. Not sure about MSI though
im pretty sure thats just for amd.

Yes you need to relaxe the latency , and by the way cheaper boards are notorious for capacitance issue with all dimms filled.

Thanks for all the help everyone - very much appreciated

I am still learning how to do all this correctly so please forgive me for asking how to decrease the latency in bios settings!! OR should I just increase the voltage or do both? What is optimunal setup? I don't need the most extreme overclocking!! I just want everything to work stable!!

Thanks again!!

Boot to cmos and go to advanced chipset. Look for your memory timings. It will be default "SPD" SPD is a chip on the dims that communicates with the mobo to auto set the timings. You want to go to manual and relax them. For example if they are 2225 you would try 2326.If they were 2326 (most likely) then go 2.5.3.2.6 Check your motherboard manual for how the timings line up. As far as memory and timings go and what they mean

check this out you will find it most informative : http://www.corsairmicro.com/memory_basics/153707/

Samsung PC 3700, I bet its SPD is at 2.5-3-3-7 :p
Most likely MOBO doesn't support 4 DS memories.

Thanks again for the replies

Ok here are my specs according to CPU-Z :

Voltage: 1.488
Bus Speed: 828.1
Frequency: 207 mhz
Core Speed: 2898.3 mhz
FSB: DRAM 1:1
Multiplier x 14.0
Clocking: 3.0-3-3-8

Also, my mobo is pretty good and got excellen ratings for overclocking (MSI Neo2 865PE)

Hope these specs are helpful. I haven't tried reducing latency or increasing voltage until I get the okay based on the above specs.

Thanks!

Steve

kstevege said:
Thanks again for the replies

Ok here are my specs according to CPU-Z :

Voltage: 1.488
Bus Speed: 828.1
Frequency: 207 mhz
Core Speed: 2898.3 mhz
FSB: DRAM 1:1
Multiplier x 14.0
Clocking: 3.0-3-3-8

Also, my mobo is pretty good and got excellen ratings for overclocking (MSI Neo2 865PE)

Hope these specs are helpful. I haven't tried reducing latency or increasing voltage until I get the okay based on the above specs.

Thanks!

Steve

Looks pretty relaxed already ......... :rolleyes:

How good is your power supply?

I have a 450 watt power supply!

According to the above specs, do you think the voltage is low? (1.488)

Just found out that my memory voltage is 2.5.

I did not realize there are different types of voltages for the motherboard!!

You may want to loosen the timings. I have 2x512 right now but plan to double it soon. My RAM is specced to run at 2-3-3-6 with 2x512, but if i get 4 of the same sticks they suggest 2.5-3-3-6.

Dualspaniel said:
It's pretty well known that 4 sticks give the memory controller a [H]arder time you may have to slacken the latencys a little or increase the Vmem .
So why do 865 and 875 chipsetted boards run better with 4sticks as opposed to 2 in dual-channel?

emorphien said:
You may want to loosen the timings. I have 2x512 right now but plan to double it soon. My RAM is specced to run at 2-3-3-6 with 2x512, but if i get 4 of the same sticks they suggest 2.5-3-3-6.
Actually, the original poster is already on fairly loose timings (3.0-3-3-8). He might want to try 3.0-4-4-8 with his system.

Although I have no experience in your particular situation, I believe I read somewhere recently that if all DIMMs are populated the command rate has to be changed from 1T to 2T. Then again I could be dead wrong. Good luck.

I believe I read somewhere recently that if all DIMMs are populated the command rate has to be changed from 1T to 2T

Thanks for all the info enveryone.

Forgive me again for my lack of knowledge but where do I find the command rate info?

Just want to thank everyone for their help and let everyone know that the problem is fixed.

I am now running 512 x 4 dual channel for 2 gigs of RAM without any problems. Video games do not freeze anymore. I increased my memory voltage to 2.75 and agp voltage to 1.75.

THANKS!!

Glad you solved your problem! Did you have to change the command rate and why the AGP voltage increase?

"You may want to loosen the timings. I have 2x512 right now but plan to double it soon. My RAM is specced to run at 2-3-3-6 with 2x512, but if i get 4 of the same sticks they suggest 2.5-3-3-6."

emorphien, exactly what I'll be doing soon as well but I'll be getting two sticks of RAM (PC3200C2) without the pretty lights this time. What's the deal with this single-side, double-sided issue? Anyone?

Back