2 computers, 1 case

brom42

2[H]4U
I run 2 servers in my house. I had just been running them in 2 cases. I access them using remote desktop, so they only need to be connected to power and the network. I figured that I could mount both of the computers in one case to save space.

The victim:

victim.jpg

I have 2 sides for this case, the windowed one seen above and just a standard steel side. Look at all that room in there! Plenty of room for an mATX motherboard and PSU. I will be using the empty drive bays to hold all the drives for the second machine.

side.jpg

I mapped out the clearance from the side of the case. The 75mm is the clearance to the top of the PCI slots, so I actually got much more clearance than that. If the space has no measurement in it than that space is off limits.

mobofit.jpg

See, plenty of space :) I had to double up on the risers in order to clear the handle. I am also going to be mounting the side fan behind the board.

testfit1.jpg

Encountered my first problem. The processor heatsink is only a few mm away from the video card of the other machine and I still need to add a fan to the heatsink. After searching through my cards I found a half high AGP video card. Problem solved.

PSUfit.jpg

I mounted the small PSU above the board and I ran all the wires. To PSU entered into the 2cm clearance zone, but luckily as long as I don't use the bottom 5.25 bay it fits. No metal had to be cut out of the case.

close.jpg

Another close fit. I had to remove the audio ports from the back of the motheboard so I could clear the case fan. The ethernet cable barely clears the back of the case.

closed.jpg

Here is a pic from with the case closed from one of the holes for the back case fans. I couldn't ask for a better fit. It is like that space was made to hold the board. You can barely make out all the space between the heatsink fan and the half hight video card. Its lucky that I had that card sitting around. I am running the ethernet and power cord out one of the 80mm fan holes. The way everything lines up I can also use one of the PCI slots if I want to, which was plesantly unexpected. You can see that I also lined up the PSU with the hole. I just set the board to boot when power is restored, so to boot it up I just plug in the power. Simple solution so I don't have to run a power switch.

final.jpg

The final product. The only modification to the case that I had to do was drill 6 holes for mounting the board and PSU. This had to be the easiest and most functional mod I have ever done. I also like the fact that it didn't cost me anything and took less than an hour. I mounted the fan to outside of the case instead of the inside. Since the board is quite high off the panel I still get good air flow. I hooked up that fan to the mobo on the side panel. If that fan is running then I know the board is powered on.

Host Specs:
2.4ghz P4
Abit IC7-G board
1 gig XMS ram
120gb SATA Maxtor HDD
Plextor 52X CD-RW
Nvidia geForce4 MX (half hight card)
MS Server 2003

Side panel Specs:
1.8ghz P4
Intel board (I can't remember the model)
512 mb ram
40gb PATA WD HDD
Plextor 24X CD-RW
No video
MS Server 2003

Nice. What do the servers do?

I might cram a bunch of systems in one of my cases one of these days. Though, it'd only be used as a toy Open Mosix cluster.

tom61 said:
Nice. What do the servers do?

The "host" machine runs:
Domain Controller
Exchange
File Backup
Web
DNS

Side panel runs:
P2P
FTP
Anything else I don't want to place on the host machine

Other stats are listed in the OP.

You know, thats a great idea, Ive got the same case and (2) of those Via MiniITX mobo's

I wonder if a large PS could supply them both with some modding?

Hinokagutsuchi said:
Was there any interference with having a power cable that close to the internals of the computer?

Not that I have noticed, but I don't have anything to really test it. Both the computers are rock solid. I guess I am not going to worry about it.

brom42 said:
I run 2 servers in my house. I had just been running them in 2 cases. I access them using remote desktop, so they only need to be connected to power and the network. I figured that I could mount both of the computers in one case to save space.
Oh boy thats real nice! The two machines make sense in one box. I like the work you've done. Would have been cool with the second mainboard on the opposite side of the case tho :)
Then again, you can't really tell that two machines are mounted in your case, so its cool.

zeusenergy said:
Then again, you can't really tell that two machines are mounted in your case

I still live with my parents and they complain about how much power I use. All they know is that I was running two computers and now they think I am only running one. :D

harmlesskils said:
nice work
like that color of the case

I really like these cases. They have lots of room and are cheap.

I got a blue one too.

blue.jpg

OH MY GODDDDDD your hardness supreme and u resurrect a 2 year old thread!

I did a search on google on 2 pcs 1 case and this was the first result

hahaha 2 computers 1 cup. and woooooow you could of PMed the creator.

Back