$2,500 RTX-5090 ( 60% faster than 4090 )

Unfortunately, as long as people keep buying the price will keep climbing.
I think you're right and when it comes to the 90 branded cards, the sky is the limit. I 100% believe the 5090 will totally be at least $2k next gen.

That said, I think the 40 Super cards do show that there was a limit to the top of anything that isn't the best consumer card. $1200 4080 was no bueno. There's a reason that got refreshed to $999. My guess is the 5080 will keep the $999 price tag or maybe even drop to $800 or $900 depending on how the 4080 Super sales go and the rest of the stack that follows it will go in their respective price points. If it sells well I think they keep $999. Though hopefully they do a better job of branding/pricing the 70-tier products as that was just a damn mess with 40-series and $800 for a card with "70" is just crazy.

Last edited:
If x90 is the new Titan class card, it doesn't seem that unreasonable. My random useless speculation is $1999.99 MSRP and people will pay much more after they're all immediately snatched up by scalpers. Market will set price and who knows what that will even look like Q4 '24 and beyond.

Unfortunately, as long as people keep buying the price will keep climbing.
Some people are only too happy to keep being Jensen's bitch when it comes to overpaying

They're only going to make as many as it takes to take the crown in reviews. A few cards will be made so that they can say it's not a paper launch, but not a single card more than what's necessary those two requirements. The rest will go to AI.

If the card costs $2500 and I have literally $100 bills from 1988 I only need 10 of them right given $100 (1988) = $260.71 (2024)? :)

The price will be Nvidias fault. They will make so few of them in the first place. That will cause a artificial shortage. That will cause scalping because of the artificial shortage. That will make it seem like they are worth more than what they are. Then prices are high to begin with and higher after the shortage.
It's all bullshit. Jensen is a mastermind. With a company was powerful as Nvidia, he gets away with it all because they are the best and when you're the best you basically make up your own set of rules to play by. It's actually wildly evil if you think about it. Nothing about it is fair. He's making billions endlessly.

because of the artificial shortage.
At many time in the last 4 years, chip shortage was not artificial at all, car manufacturer were stopping production, some of the most powerful company of the world are put in wait list, it would need a lot to change for the low amount of gaming GPU to be something artificial and not Nvidia prioritizing N3 production of large chip to go higher priced market with an wait list because supply capacity really does not fill demand.

At many time in the last 4 years, chip shortage was not artificial at all, car manufacturer were stopping production, some of the most powerful company of the world are put in wait list, it would need a lot to change for the low amount of gaming GPU to be something artificial and not Nvidia prioritizing N3 production of large chip to go higher priced market with an wait list because supply capacity really does not fill demand.
That was during covid, sure. That doesn't explain the crazy price hikes before or after covid. That's just pure profit.

That was during covid, sure. That doesn't explain the crazy price hikes before or after covid. That's just pure profit.
You think that people are on a wait list for Nvidia product right now (H100, etc...) is pure profit from artificial shortage, no at situation that supply (that they up month after month) does not respond to demand because of how big the AI bubble is getting ?

You think that people are on a wait list for Nvidia product right now (H100, etc...) is pure profit from artificial shortage, no at situation that supply (that they up month after month) does not respond to demand because of how big the AI bubble is getting ?
Don't forget about scalpers gobbling up a boat's worth of stock at a time... It's not as bad as it used to be, but it's still not good.

If the 5080 is 20-30 percent faster than a 4090 with like 20 gb of Vram around 1k I'm in. I'm assuming it'll be out around this time next year.

Don't forget about scalpers gobbling up a boat's worth of stock at a time... It's not as bad as it used to be, but it's still not good.
If they sell it fast enough, should not affect supply, just make it easier for people wanting to pay more for them to get them.

The $2500 I can def see. I am out at that point. I paid $1699 for my 4090 and was lucky. At some point I need to be cut off, and this will be it at that price entry point.

If the 5080 is 20-30 percent faster than a 4090 with like 20 gb of Vram around 1k I'm in. I'm assuming it'll be out around this time next year.
Still more than I want to pay, but I'd likewise see that as an acceptable upgrade for my 4k display.

That said, rumors seem to suggest quite the gulf between the 5090 and 5080 is specs similar to 4090 vs 4080, so we'll have to see what we actually get.

As for the 5090, I'm sure Nvidia is figuring out that price spot where AI market and general consumer meet and specifically the general consumer market will still tolerate. 4090 pricing has been all over the place the last few months, so I am sure they are getting market data from that.

"60-70% faster"

Yea right.... if you believe this rumor, then I have some prime beachfront property for sale for at least 60-70% less than everyone else....

(in central Utah) /s

The price will be Nvidias fault. They will make so few of them in the first place. That will cause a artificial shortage. That will cause scalping because of the artificial shortage. That will make it seem like they are worth more than what they are. Then prices are high to begin with and higher after the shortage.
It's all bullshit. Jensen is a mastermind. With a company was powerful as Nvidia, he gets away with it all because they are the best and when you're the best you basically make up your own set of rules to play by. It's actually wildly evil if you think about it. Nothing about it is fair. He's making billions endlessly.
that is an aquarius, im aquarius. you have be us to understand what were trying to do.

If they want $2500 out of me it has to be twice as fast as a 4090. Honestly though I'd probably get a 5070, been thinking of selling off my 4090 making my build smaller since I don't really play any graphically demanding games anymore, been having a lot more fun with Indies and Fighting games than AAA games.

I can´t think of anything more satisfying than playing older games in silence without the 4090s fans turning on
:LOL:

And besides the hardware the software is going to get better.

Do you think a 5090 would only be used for games or maybe to run a maths "tutor" for your child?
What about a free DLC history tutor? Sponsored by your local historians.

Or run
1709571592813.jpeg

as a house ai?

F.r.i.d.a.y: Dave?

Me: Yes?

F.r.i.d.a.y: I´ve analyzed the sensors and you could save energy by letting me turn the heat down in rooms that you don´t use a night.

Me: Brilliant, please do that.

F.r.i.d.a.y: compiling the code for this is not part of the standard subscription model. Please confirm booking additional processing power.
As a Gold member you would ...

Me: F.ck!

F.r.i.d.a.y: This activity is not covered by the standard subscription model.

Last edited:
That would imply a 16GB 5080 at the price of the current 4090 with slightly more performance, which is just...ugh. But expected if AMD won't be doing anything other than midrange cards next gen.

That would imply a 16GB 5080 at the price of the current 4090 with slightly more performance, which is just...ugh. But expected if AMD won't be doing anything other than midrange cards next gen.
A 5080 with +60-70% on gddr7 could be 30-40% above the current 4090 without the 4k drop.

Has for the pricing if the 5090 is up to $2500 with say an MSRP of $1899, we could see them trying the $1199 price tag again for the xx80, if they really achieve that jump

In the end: if people keep spending that kind of money, Nvidia isn't going to stop them.

Imagine if you offered a product, and no matter how many you produced, no matter how much you charged for it... you sold every single one. Now imagine you have millions of people watching your every move, who can sue you if they think you have made ANY choices that resulted in you not making as much money as you could have... What would you do? keep the prices low and watch scalpers make millions off of your products?

Gotta keep the shareholders happy.
That's actually required by law, if I'm not mistaken. But there's more to this than greed. The developement cost has risen, components are more expensive now and the market has shrunk significantly, thus making the price of each unit dearer to recoup costs.

A 5080 with +60-70% on gddr7 could be 30-40% above the current 4090 without the 4k drop.

Has for the pricing if the 5090 is up to $2500 with say an MSRP of $1899, we could see them trying the $1199 price tag again for the xx80, if they really achieve that jump
I really don't think the market will accept a non "Ti" branded 80 card at $1200 that soon after the 4080 was soundly rejected. 4080 Super refresh at $999 I think confirms that.

Of course I said a lot about what the market would accept back in 20-series days too, and here we are, so come 60-series it could be back to $1200 6080 for sure.

We're kind of getting to the point of diminishing returns. The 4090 already plays all competitive shooters at hundreds and hundreds of fps. For single-player games there's frame generation and dlss that make up all the difference to get you where you need to be with very little visual loss. The 5090 is kind of Overkill when you really think about it. What game that's not a competitive shooter do you need to have an extremely high frame rates? Yeah you can argue all games, but is it really needed? Not really.

I'm thinking, now I can have a very expensive GPU, that's more expensive that the last very expensive GPU I owned, so I can continue to play games that require 1/4th of the GPUs capabilities.

of course it's going to be true...people were lining up to buy the 4090 at $1600+...Nvidia is pushing it out to see if gamers have any sense at all
It makes me wonder how many total sales to actual gamers (not people buying to scalp or companies buying for AI stuff) are made here. I don't know anyone personally who would pay even $1000 for a GPU, let alone $1600 or $2000+. I just can't imagine there being that huge of a market there.

Personally, I think my upper limit is probably $1000, and I balk even at that. I paid $900-ish for this 3080 during the height of COVID, and even that was a hard pill to swallow.

It makes me wonder how many total sales to actual gamers (not people buying to scalp or companies buying for AI stuff) are made here. I don't know anyone personally who would pay even $1000 for a GPU, let alone $1600 or $2000+. I just can't imagine there being that huge of a market there.

Personally, I think my upper limit is probably $1000, and I balk even at that. I paid $900-ish for this 3080 during the height of COVID, and even that was a hard pill to swallow.

The whole AI craze probably means that even after the 5090 comes out, one can probably still sell the 4090 for a pretty penny on the used market and use that to offset the cost of upgrading.

$1200 that soon after the 4080 was soundly rejected
The 4080 was "only" 45-50% faster than the 3080 too, which without being ever really $700 still had that msrp in people mind and the 4090 was cheaper at $1699 than this alleged new price, higher the 5090 cost, bigger the rebate for the 5080 become and more interesting that option get, I also feel like they will go with the $1000 price point this time (with many skus being more $1099-$1199 in reality going down if/when needed)

Computers are a cheap, CHEAP hobby. $2000 is a small price to pay for any kind of motorcycle or car part. Hell, Hi-Fi audiophiles and home-theatre enthusiasts will spend waaaay more on a single speaker, of which they'll buy 5-7 of.

So yeah, the kind of money people are willing to spend on a single part for their Audi would buy a 'sky is the limit' top end gaming PC. Trust me, anything at the top will sell out as long as it stays four figures.

Computers are a cheap, CHEAP hobby. $2000 is a small price to pay for any kind of motorcycle or car part. Hell, Hi-Fi audiophiles and home-theatre enthusiasts will spend waaaay more on a single speaker, of which they'll buy 5-7 of.

So yeah, the kind of money people are willing to spend on a single part for their Audi would buy a 'sky is the limit' top end gaming PC. Trust me, anything at the top will sell out as long as it stays four figures.
Sure, that's a fair point. But it is still somewhat becoming a pay to play game these days relative to where computers have been over the last 20 years. Now don't hear me saying we haven't obviously advanced considerably in that time or that halo products with absurd prices have never existed, but we've also gotten to the point that anything not priced high (at least in the Nvidia GPU space) is just stagnating now on performance gains gen over gen, or getting worse on the performance expectations front while prices still are raised.

For example, the base "70" branded cards have traditionally for many generations now typically matched the performance of the previous generation flagship. Not true anymore with the initial 4070 launch which barely matched a 3080 give or take, yet they jacked the price up $100 from the 3070 MSRP. This is somewhat fixed by the 4070 Super at least.

Then look at the 4060 Ti and 4060 cards, and again we see somewhat stagnate gains from the previous cards where the only real gain here is in the software in the form of frame gen DLSS 3 and again these cards are priced higher than ever relative to what they should be priced given their performance characteristics/historical branding.

So I don't know. It's becoming a game of who has the most money to just waste every gen. At least in the old days there was the price to performance kings that provided value as well while the better cards were still out there for those willing to pay for them. Think of the 8800 GT or most cards in the 70-class branded tiers for most gens. Hell even many 60-class cards over the years. Now adays that's just gone. $700+ to get anything that hasn't stagnated from the previous gen is not "value" or "price to performance win". So from a hobby perspective its getting very dull/depressing for anyone not just in the "spend massive amounts of money to buy the best every time" camp.

Sure I am just talking Nvidia here. Obviously AMD still exists and perhaps does still provide what I am complaining about with Nvidia, but its also a new era and the disparity between the two is quite large (imo) and you very clearly just see AMD playing a catchup role to Nvidia and its not really truly a competitive space like it used to be. I think most would argue Nvidia has the superior features and so AMD can't really price like them and going And you are giving up something potentially massive in return (or not if you don't care about RT and such), but its clear that's the direction graphics are going.

Last edited:
Now adays that's just gone. $700+ to get anything that hasn't stagnated from the previous gen
The $600 4070 super vs the $600 3070 ti (and we can imagine the 4070 super can actually be found at that price, while there was no $600 3070 Ti laying around ever in 2021), it went up +35-38%
Like you said on the amd side it is clearer with the 7800xt is about +50% the 6700xt with a similar price to the 6700xt planned launch priced.

So from a hobby perspective its getting very dull/depressing for anyone not just in the "spend massive amounts of money to buy the best every time" camp.
Specially if you are more about the hardware than actually playing game like I am, but in the other way around how many games still play perfectly fine on a 2080 from 2018 in 2024 ? About all of them ?, even the most recent harder stuff like Alan Wake 2 did seem perfectly fine on a 2070 super. Anything a console can run will run perfectly fine or a relatively old by now mid-range pc (or will never run fine on any of them)

Try to play newest hardest to run game of 2007 on a Geforce3....

Perf supply stagnate, but demand stagnate as well, native resolution and FPS will probably both stop to go up for most players as well, so 100% of the power upgrade will go toward world complexity.

Last edited:
I'll be saving this thread for when Clown's Law is wrong yet again.
An overflowing toilet is impervious to scorn. And manufactured rumors is a dedicated Industry now with teams of employees and production budgets. I used to think MLID, AdoredTV etc were causes, but no, they're symptoms. Just like the degeneration of cable news (Right and Left) catering to and optimizing purely for grievance now, so too in "tech news" and many other industries. Search "RTX 5090" on youtube and its a cesspool of hundreds of near-clones feeding that symptom, a lot of them bot generated.

Last edited:
Yeah, this insanity has got to stop. Each year it seems fewer and fewer games come out that I actually like, so to keep paying $1000+ for just a couple games annually makes no financial sense for me!

That pricing is insane, people are really going to feel the pinch just to play at 4K. I will remain at good old 1440p and continue to not upgrade my video card at these crazy prices and still enjoy good frame rates on my lowly 6900XT. Just not seeing the point anymore to upgrade all the time like I used to, especially at these prices.

The kind of people spending $2000+ per speaker is a really niche market. The vast majority of HT/audiophiles are not spending that kind of money. $2000 on an HT setup *total*, sure.

I don't think the market for $2000+ GPUs for gaming is as widespread as you seem to think.

Moore's law is dead has had decent accuracy though right? I would much rather listen to his podcast over GN or HUB whom are both insufferable. At least MLID keeps it professional with no cringe personality. I don't care about his "sources" and that he's filming in his attic lmao I think his show is entertaining and a good listen especially while on the clock at work.

Moore's law is dead has had decent accuracy though right? I would much rather listen to his podcast over GN or HUB whom are both insufferable. At least MLID keeps it professional with no cringe personality. I don't care about his "sources" and that he's filming in his attic lmao I think his show is entertaining and a good listen especially while on the clock at work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BustedSili...ection_of_mlidmoores_law_is_dead_past_claims/

This isn't even all of the times he's been wrong, just the stuff he deleted when he ended up being super wrong lol. And if you wonder why I don't believe a thing he says about Blackwell, it's because he said Ampere was going to be 4x faster than Turing in RT LUL.

The kind of people spending $2000+ per speaker is a really niche market. The vast majority of HT/audiophiles are not spending that kind of money. $2000 on an HT setup *total*, sure.

I don't think the market for $2000+ GPUs for gaming is as widespread as you seem to think.
It's not that widespread. I'd say less than 200K units per year. That's why I don't understand why so many bitch and moan about it.

, it's because he said Ampere was going to be 4x faster than Turing in RT LUL.
Would be curious how close that ended up to be true. I do not think the RT Tflops match that prediction at all... the 3060 about a 2080TI Rt performance claim of summer 2020 maybe, not sure what if there a good way to evaluate RT performance, we almost never see stuff that purely RT in day to day life. Do not forget the decent native 8k gaming performance

pic_disp.jpg

7csy84tm8c4a1.jpg
46fsdk5n8c4a1.jpg

Rewatching it, he mentiong lot of stuff that came out even now just in theorical world, like AI tensor texture decompression in vram, etc....

The stuff that was not theorical and can be spinned, 10 gb of vram for the 3080, Samsung node, no GTX for the 3xxx series pure RTX, TSMC for the top sku, he was all spot on.

the overhaul of the control panel with Geforce experience with no more logging he talk about just launch last month.

I.e. a lot of things said were probably true things insider knew about, just not ended up being shipped.

Would be curious how close that ended up to be true. I do not think the RT Tflops match that prediction at all... the 3060 about a 2080TI Rt performance claim of summer 2020 maybe, not sure what if there a good way to evaluate RT performance, we almost never see stuff that purely RT in day to day life. Do not forget the decent native 8k gaming performance

View attachment 639904

View attachment 639905View attachment 639906

Rewatching it, he mentiong lot of stuff that came out even now just in theorical world, like AI tensor texture decompression in vram, etc....

The stuff that was not theorical and can be spinned, 10 gb of vram for the 3080, Samsung node, no GTX for the 3xxx series pure RTX, TSMC for the top sku, he was all spot on.

the overhaul of the control panel with Geforce experience with no more logging he talk about just launch last month.

I.e. a lot of things said were probably true things insider knew about, just not ended up being shipped.

What about this then? :ROFLMAO:

1709758595072.png

Back