2.5 inch to 3.5 adapter to work with SilverStone CP05

Jerome36

2[H]4U
Earlier this week I finally decided to upgrade to the world of SSDs, by replacing my 320 WD Blue HDD with a 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro. I have a slight problem, however, involving my SilverStone FT01 case and the SilverStone CP05 hot-swap connectors. Since I have two hard-drives in my system (one for the OS and Programs, and the other for data), I use two CP05's. My problem is it seems like most 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch adapters will center the SSD in the middle, but the CP05's connectors are off to one side (see product page w/photos), where the SATA and power connections are, on a 3.5 HDD.

So does anybody have good recommendations for a 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch adapter that will line the SSD up with the CP05? I've done some searching online and have seen some items like this ICY DOCK adapter (see here), but I'd hate to spend 15+ bucks on a unit like that, if I could spend less on a much simple plate.

Another option, offering extra ease/functionality, is the iStar BPU-2535-SI [link]. It allows hot-swapping 2.5" drives, and has the physical dimensions, and connector alignment, of a 3.5" drive. It accomodates 7mm-15mm height drives.

I use it with a trayless hot-swap bay (for 3.5" SATA), for testing/imaging/backup of SSDs.

Newegg used to carry the iStar (now Discontinued), but this looks to be the same product [link].

I tried four different adapters for the CP-05 in my FT-02 and the only one that fits is the ICY Dock. My only concern initially was the additional PCB that the enclosure contains. So far, I haven't had any issues and I've been using it for three years now. It's a little pricey but it does work and lines up properly.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the suggestions. That Newer Tech. AdaptaDrive looks really nice, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money for one. Decisions, decisions...

Back