Audigy 2 ZS
2x WD 40GB HDD, 8MB cache
Lite On 16x/48x DVD/CD-RW
NEC MultiSync LCD 1765V
Klipcsh ProMedia GX-A 2.1

Just as reference points...
3D Mark 2001 (latest build) 11,380
Quake III Demo001 (sound on) 224

I am not unhappy by any means, but I have decided that I want to maximize this rig and leave it be for a few months, figuring by this time next year the dust will have settled on a lot of new technologies and I can do a complete overhaul without wasting money. So here are my options, comments welcome...

1. Upgrade the processor to a 2.8B? I'm not sure this is really worth, I know with the current video card it probably won't make a huge impact.

2. Upgrade the RAM to 1 gig (2x 512MB Kingston) and upgrade the video card (probably do this in stages, waiting to see what the NV40 and RV420 look like)

3. Upgrade the video and leave the rest be.

I can run everything I want pretty well, although I figure due to the weak pixel shader performance on the current FX cards I have to do something if Half Life 2 should ever ship;) , but I am not sure how to best prolong the life of this box? My gut reaction is that 400mHz won't make a big diff, but the RAM and video might?

If you have the money do it, another solution would be to buy an overclockable motherboard and OC the 2.4 you already have. Look into something like an ABIT IT7-Max2 Ver2 they are great!.

Yea just go get a new motherboard and overclock it to 3ghz+. Either go for a cheap 865pe motherboard or go for the Asus P4G8X.

Keep the proc. I have the same chip and can OC over 3.0ghz with no problems(air cooled). I would change the vid card though. Also, you want to look at your needs if you in it for pure raw power then you should start from scratch. If you want to be the biggest on the block then change up MOBO and vid card;) Good luck

Thanks for the replies, but let's go on a limb and say I don't want to overclock, then based on the choices I have listed what is my best option?

I'd hold off unless you want to go for a dual-channel board, but if you're waiting for Prescott, you won't know for absolute certain they'll work in current S478 boards.

My 2.4B is doing 3.1GHz with a vCore of 1.65V and a Cooler Master Copper heatsink (the name is horribly long).

Back