2 36.7Raps in Raid0 or 1 75

gigantorebirdie

Limp Gawd
I am looking to get some raw speed. I was planning on using the onboard S-Raid built into my IS7-G, when I started thinking that the new Raptors might not be a bad way to go. I can get 1 of the new Raptors for the price of two of the older 36 giggers. Know where I can see if anyone has benchmarked the difference between 2 rapto 36 in raid 0 versus a new 75 gig Raptor. Size wise its a wash, both about 69 gigs of usable, but is there a speed difference? Please help if you can. Also, what would you choose if you were making the purchase? Thank you! -Greg

how about 2 73 gig Raptor raided together. I would prob choose the 1 73 over the 2 36 gigger, even thou the 2 36 raided together would prob run faster.

I would def. get 2 73 raptors if they weren't almost 300 a piece. I'm looking to spend about 250 or so, and I already have a pair of IDE 160 gigs in a raid 0 on my server. This is going to be a gaming box and XVID encoding box.

2 Raptors in RAID0 will always be much faster than one single drive. So, if you have the room in your case, 2 would be better than one.

Originally posted by djnes
2 Raptors in RAID0 will always be much faster than one single drive. So, if you have the room in your case, 2 would be better than one.

depends on what you mean by faster...

if you are looking at access times, you will find your wrong. a single drive will prove to be quicker.

the only time you are going to notice the performance of the raid setup is when you are dealing with large files. some ppl say it helps with games in loading levels and stuff... but i dunno.

i say go for the single 73 gig. adding two drives to the equation doubles your chance for data loss.

Since you have a 160 gb raid in your server, and since this is a gaming/divx I would still say 73 gig raptor.

Back