2-3-2-6 T1, what's the spd improvement like?

grenadier

Limp Gawd
I'm currently going from samsung pc3200 running cas3 with bad timings to hyperX 2-3-2-6 T1. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $.

I'm buying this stuff primarily for video editing / rendering and I'm wondering if I'm going to get a noticeable speed boost from having much better timings. Are timings really that big of a deal or should I have gone with cheaper RAM?

Depending which way the responses are leaning I may just cancel or change my order so feel free to chime in as much as possible.

I know that to compress video file to DiVx, Timing does nothing or very little, what affect the most the performance it's the mhz of the cpu. I dont know if it's all the same for every video apps.

You will notice very little difference in performance, the most important memory setting on i865/i875 boards is RAS-to-CAS Delay with the other settings having a very minimal effect on performance. As far as Im aware Samsung DDR400 runs at timings of 3-3-3-8, with RAS-to-CAS being at 3. Kingston HyperX PC3500 is rated to 2-3-2-6, again with 3 for RAS-to-CAS.

You should also be aware that the HyperX uses Winbond CH5 chips (hence the RAS-to-CAS of 3, they wont run at 2) and is a very poor choice anyway for i865/i875 boards due to compatibility issues. I highly suggest you avoid getting this and if you absolutely must upgrade; go for some Winbond BH5 based memory. BH5 sticks will be able to run a RAS-to-CAS of 2, giving you higher performance, plus not have the drawback of incompatibilities like CH5-based memory does.

So what would be the most compatible memory for an IS7? Should I be looking at geil or mushkin instead of hyperx? Good timings aren't that important to me, I just want a gig of high quality memory that will work properly in my system (specs below).

I'm looking at much cheaper memory than level II right now. Like one of these two:

Corsair Value Select Dual Channel Kit 1GB(512MBx2) PC-3200
or
Geil Dual Channel 1GB(512MBx2) PC-3200

2326 Timing isn't all that bad anyway, 2225 Vs 2326 on the same FSB i don't think its humanly noticible. Yea Sandra 2004 or any other bench mark programs will show you, but it is not a GREAT of a difference. It does help with overclocking, because the BH5 chips not only allow strict timings, but also more stability. and i believe BH5 only became available on Mushkin on the later released batch? I'm not sure. all i know is that i have it and its running well...

Originally posted by hi_its_ryan
mushkin level II is guaranteed to have winbond BH-5 chips, not sure about other brands

you can get guaranteed HyperX BH5's from newegg. Just lookf for cas 2-2-2-6-1 timings on them. PC3000 or 3200

Depends on what your running also. I can get almost 1000points more 3dmark with tight timings 2-2-2-6 over crappy cas 3+ timings like PC4000+ memory, Only way cas3 shines is @ high FSB where cas 2 wont run. 270+ fsb and up

I also got almost a 1000 point increase on 3dMark2001 when I went from 2.5-4-4-8 (I think) to 2-2-2-5.

For some reason Set by SPD set it way too slow.

But thats on an OC'd system using a ratio which means there's a lot of FSB bandwidth headroom to soak up the extra ram bandwidth. I dont think its as big of a difference when you're running at 1:1 ratio.

CAS(1st number) is the most important as far as performance.

Ex: 2-3-2-6

the 2nd is important for stability with some ram chips.

and the forth is important to keep from getting HD corruption.
It should set to the 1st 2 numbers added together + 2 is what most people call for.

Back