2.1 with dedicated sub impossible on X-fi?

PCMusicGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
Just kind of curious about how to add a dedicated subwoofer on the X-Fi. I don't really believe it can be done. I've been using a 2.0 setup (standalone amplifier with two bookshelf speakers) for a while and I've recently received a separate subwoofer. I know if you select 5.1/6.1/7.1 for speakers, line out 3 (the one closest to the AD Link connector) can output the subwoofer separately along with two other channels. When the speakers are set to 2.0/2.1, there is no dedicated subwoofer output.

Anyone know a way to hack the X-Fi to make this happen? I know the easy solution would be to get a receiver, I am just trying to figure out a way to get my components to work without having to buy more equipment.

the easiest way is to get a pre amp with bass management. most recievers sub $500 or $600 suck at bass management anyway. wire the sub in paralel on the high levels. it doesnt NEED to have pass throughs. what amp do you have?

Last edited:
The sub does not have high level passthroughs. The amp I am using for the bookshelves is a behringer a500. I could always buy something to achieve what I want I was just wondering if it was possible without other equipment. I don't know too much about preamps so what is recommended for my case?

OK...I accomplished this by selecting 5.1 speaker setup in "Sound" in Control Panel under the "Configure" option for your sound device. In the "Configure" option with 5.1 you can select to turn off surrounds and center speaker in the menu after speaker selection.

So effectively I'm running 5.1 minus the surrounds and center which equals true 2.1!

It works perfectly as well for when I use Media Player Classic I select 2 speakers (stereo) in the "Mixer" with the LFE box ticked...BAM...subwoofer works.

Also works for movies and games...runs straight stereo with subwoofer...took me a while to figure this out!

Hope this helps and if you need more help let me know...just PM me as I'll probably forget about this thread :-p

Thanks for the idea JoeUser. I will definitely give that a shot when I get home from the holiday.

Bump. JoeUser's suggestion did not work. I think it certainly should have but it doesn't. Using Windows 7 sound configuration set to 5.1, the left/right speakers and subwoofer work when clicking on them for testing. If I continue to the next, as soon as I uncheck the center or the rear surrounds, the subwoofer also stops working.

Bump for an update.

JoeUser's suggestion ended up working for me. I found out that you MUST uncheck full range speakers for the redirection to work.

Back