2.0v vcore safe?

infin|ty

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wondering when are the volts too high for the vcore? I'm tryin to get my 2500+ at 2.3ghz w/ 200x11.5 and it's at 1.95v and I get get it to go into windows.. is 2.0v+ safe if temps are ok?

as long as temps are fine dont sweat it. thou it does lower the cpus life the chances of it dying on you before your next upgrade is highly unlikely

I wouldn't go that high if I wanted to keep the chip for longer than, say 4-6 years, but that's probably not an issue in this case...

Originally posted by jagec
I wouldn't go that high if I wanted to keep the chip for longer than, say 4-6 years, but that's probably not an issue in this case...

Right, keeping it cool enough helps to keep the processor stable, but doesn't change the fact that you're pumping alot more current through the chip than it's intended to take. Eventually you'll probably kill it due to electromigration.

How about 1.8? how long would that last ya? plus anyone know if having your multiplier at 12.5 cs. 12 would make a big difference cause 12 kicked 11's ass for me.

i've run a 850Mhz duron at 2.0volts 6months after it was brand new (the fastest duron) till a few months ago so theres no telling when its going to go...its not like theres set to go at a specific time...

if figure if you using that much juice than it shouldnt hurt it much...so lay off the just in case over volthing if thats what your doing

The higher the voltage, the faster the death due to EM [electromigration], and the higher the current densities, and therefore the heat dissipated. If it's not cooled well, it will not survive long at all.

Today's chips are not going to last as say an 8086 chip did. They just aren't built for it, even at default voltage.

that electro migration crap really only effects the p4's. theres alot of hard peps out there running 2 volts on there athlons. if there was a problem with the cpu's dying from 2 volts you would see alot more threads about it. my buddy been running his barton @2 volts on a slk947 or 900 cant rem with a tornado fan for about 4 months now with no problems i know the p4s die rather quickly with high v core

1.85 is the max i will go on air cooling (unless i have an incredible heatsink, which i dont)

2.0v = ok for WC, i dont really push my voltage to the extremes...

1.85 is really the furthest i would be comfortable going for daily use. Depending on your cooling, 2v wont kill though. Its really pushing it on air, water it will be ok as long as its decent. 2v 24/7 is something I'd only do on phasechange.

Back