Floppy Drive Standerd OEM 1.44" Floppy Drive $24.99

Includes: Windows XP Professional
Norton Antivirus 2004

Subtotal- $1,551.59
Shipping- $84.67
3.99% Tax- $61.91
Total $1,818.17
No-Speaker Total $1,733.17

What do you guys think? I want a good computer for gaming. I dont need to much space for movies music Etc... Mostly for playing good games like bf2 and i hope it will be nice for a cupple years to come. Is it a good set up? can i get some things cheaper? should i go with somthing different like vid card etc? please fill me in. Thanks.

Btw... if any of you have any sugestions for a sweet case link it for me please. I just priced the case at 80$ because thats around the price i see most of them at.

the parts list looks good to me... though i think others will diff.... i personaly think that the prices are a bit hi (25 bux for a floppy drive????).... i would price all of that same stuff out on newegg or the likes.... build it yourself... its really not that hard... and you will learn alot along the way... and if you have any problems anyone here will help ya....

oh.. and welcome to [h]ard

I agree some of that stuff is pricey, also some things that jump out at me.

1) I've not ever heard of the particular PSU, now mind you i'm a diehard Antec guy, but did you research this? PSU is one overlooked part.

2) Three sticks of RAM? Why not go with either a gig or two and keep dual channel.

3) Do you have a specific need for tv tuner? I know I had one and NEVER used the fucker once the 'oooh i can watch tv' wore off. Could put that money somewhere else, or into a beefier video card.

4) 25 for a floppy is OBSCENE. :) More like 10-12

5) Stay AWAY from Norton, Ice Czar has a wonderful thread called Rampant Paranoia which has ALOT of nicer, better AV's. My picks are AVG and NOD personally.

6) You need a modem?

All in all, I think your pick in mobo and cpu is great, if you want to game alot AMD is the clear edge right now. I know this alot to chew on, but I really want to see you make a great purchase. :) If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me :)

160 gb WD
Might as well go grab this hdd will save you a tone of money and give you a lot more space. (Just print of the instore coupon, it worked for me). But yeah, your stuff looks a little overpriced. I would listen to the previous poster about getting a gig stick or keeping it dual channel, no need for 3 sticks. My two cents.

PoleVault said:
Hardrive Western Digital ATA-100, 80GB, 8MB(Cache) $79.98
MotherBoard Asus K8V SE Deluxe, VIA KT800 NorthBridge $125.98
Prosesser Athlon 64 3700+ 2.4Ghz, 1600Mhz FSB, 1MB Cache $329.98
Heatsink Thermaltake SilentBoost 21DbA, 26 CFC $45.99
RAM 1 Corsiar Value Select 512MB DDR PC3200 $65.98
RAM 2 Corsiar Value Select 512MB DDR PC3200 $65.98
RAM 3 Corsiar Value Select 512MB DDR PC3200 $65.98
Case $80.00
Power Supply Apsire 500W Green, With Fan Adjustment $66.99
Video True ATI X800 XT All-in Wonder, With TV Tuner $403.98
DVD/CD Lite-on 16X DVD-R, DVD-/+RW, CD-RW $58.98
Modem Hiro 56K Modem $14.89
Fans Neon Kit, 2 80mm Aspire Green LED Fans $36.89
Speakers Sicuro 360XL 3-Piece Neon Green light up with SUB $85.00
Floppy Drive Standerd OEM 1.44" Floppy Drive $24.99

Alrighty..

First, this day and age, you should NOT be paying $1/gig on a hard drive. Pay an extra $10 and get a 160.

That mobo is quite high. Although which board you buy depends on the number of pins on your proc, you can get an Asus non-SLI board for far less than $100.

Your processor does not exist. I know the computer business moves fast, but there is no such thing as a 1600Mhz FSB processor. There are two variants on the 3700, if that's the one you want. There's the Clawhammer with a 800Mhz FSB and the San Diego, with a 1Ghz FSB. The prices for those are $263 and $289, respectively. The San Diego is rated at 2.2 Ghz, while the CH is at 2.4. You got over-quoted.

Thermaltake makes a pretty shitty cooling solution. You wouldn't find me dead with a $45 (also very over-priced) Thermaltake in my cold, stiff hands. They market well and a lot of people use them, but it doesn't make them a quality product. Try Arctic.

For your ram, listen to freaky. If you either have to bump up to 2 gigs or drop down to 1, use a dual channel setup. You can get Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, or OCZ for closer to $50 per 512 stick.

PSU - you can get an Enermax, Rosewill, or Aspire for $45-$55. With the high voltage and quality construction needed for today's applications, it would pay to cut through the bs and get an Antec. They're far more pricey, but you never have to worry about them.

I can't say that I can recommend the ATI card. They're not cutting the mustard as of late. If your purpose in life is to rip tv shows off of cable and put them on the p2p's, then by all means, get a separate tv tuner card - they're cheap - then get a good NVIDIA gaming card. Go with BFG Tech, eVGA, or XFX and get yourself a 6800GT for about the same price. You won't be disappointed. eVGA and XFX have some outstanding deals going on that are hard to pass up, not to mention that BFG offers a lifetime warranty. You'd be hard-pressed to find comparable deals coming out of ATI.

Most people don't have a preference about dvd burners, but I'd go with a Pioneer or Plextor myself (in fact, I did - I own a Pioneer and couldn't be happier). Lite-on makes outstanding cd-r's, but I've heard mixed reviews on their dvd landscape.

If you want to dump $35 on a couple of neon lights for your box, be my guest.

Dump those shitty speakers. Get yourself a 3.1 setup from Altec Lansing or Logitech.

As has been said, don't pay more than $10 for a 3.5 drive. Also as has been said...you really need a 56k?

HOWEVER, as this is a sub-forum for OEM SYSTEMS, and since you don't really know what kind of a ride you're being taken on here by whoever the hell you're buying from, might I suggest getting a gaming machine from a reputable OEM that you can trust to have put it together correctly. For 1700, you can get a damn fine machine. If you've really got a hard-on for building your own machine, go to the top of the page, click on the newegg.com banner there, and buy from them. At least they won't try to convice you that they can sell you a proc with a 1600FSB.

you can get a 7800 GT for almost the same price as that x800, id really build a pc on your own, order parts from www.zipzoomfly.com or www.newegg.com

one thing i like about zipzoomfly is the FREE second day fed ex shipping, really it would take about 3 days to get the stuff tho cause they have a slow 1 day to process. but its still pretty fast for being free

This is a very nice case for 50 bucks. I've been using it for a while. Has great airflow, which is only improved if you're willing to adapt the intake to fit a 120mm fan. It comes with a PSU, however that doesnt mean you shouldnt buy one. Using the bundled PSU would be a sure way to put yourself in the market for a new computer.

Where in the HELL are you buying that from, that is insanely high.

56k modem = 15 bucks? LOL try 5-10, if you even need one

512 ram = 66$? could get some for $45 each

2 fans = 37? try like 5$, maybe 10 at the most

floppy = 25? $8

I could go on.

Yeah, I don't know whose trunk he's buying this shit out of, but everything on his list was over-priced to some degree. Not to mention that there are things that are just wrong. They mispelled Corsair and the whole 1600FSB thing.

Morley said:
Bonus: Socket 754 is a dead end socket, best go with a Socket 939.

Indeed, and if any of you have seen the [H] workshop video from QuakeCon, you'd have seen AMD say that the 939 is safe for a while because the next generation of cpu is quite a ways off. In other words, the 939 is a safe investment.

Mind you the vultures are circling, but only because we all want to see you make a good purchase :)

microcosm13 said:
Mind you the vultures are circling, but only because we all want to see you make a good purchase :)

I will build him the same computer for cheaper and he can give me the 3-400$ difference if he wants to just throw money away :)

I am going to build a comp on my own. I gave my friend a parts list because he said he could get things for cheap. Not much of a friend Eh ~_~

I would like to build a comp for the experience. Because this is my first time, I appreciate any help from all of you. If anyone has the time and wouldn’t mind making a more proper setup and post it here I would be very grateful. You could even include a case, dual monitors, a sweet gaming keyboard etc. Try not to over do it - if it’s worth the money and worth having ill buy it. Like I said I want a good fast gaming comp. I was hoping to get a cool green neon glowing case too. BTW yes I do need the modem =(!!! One of the places this comp will be some of the time is a place where only dial up and shitty satellite can get to. Ill be buying most items on newegg unless you have any suggestions otherwise. Thanks for your help!

O yeah – I don’t need a tv tuner something I thought would be cool but now that I think of it, ill never use.

well as for the cpu to choose, if you want to learn how to overclock which its pretty simple and would save quite a bit of money. let us know

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148015 -- Seagate 80gb $57 ( I would get a 200gb, but thats me... a 200gb would run you about $110

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145505 -- Corsair Valueselect 1x1gb $103 (or get two, I would recommend 2 of them)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103539 -- 3700+ san diego $289

some sli mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150091 -- xfx 6800gt $260 after rebate ** and you can buy another when you need it, for SLI, also consider getting a 7800gt (around $399)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103908 -- antec true430 $85

dvd burner -- $40

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129141 -- antec P160

logitech z-640 or x-530 speakers, should run you $60-70 unless you can find a good deal

PoleVault said:
I would like to build a comp for the experience. Because this is my first time, I appreciate any help from all of you. If anyone has the time and wouldn’t mind making a more proper setup and post it here I would be very grateful. You could even include a case, dual monitors, a sweet gaming keyboard etc. Try not to over do it - if it’s worth the money and worth having ill buy it. Like I said I want a good fast gaming comp. I was hoping to get a cool green neon glowing case too. BTW yes I do need the modem =(!!! One of the places this comp will be some of the time is a place where only dial up and shitty satellite can get to. Ill be buying most items on newegg unless you have any suggestions otherwise. Thanks for your help!

O yeah – I don’t need a tv tuner something I thought would be cool but now that I think of it, ill never use.

If you need someone who will gladdly guide you along the way of buying parts, I'd more then gladdly help and use AIM or YIM and I'm sure quite a few of the guys here would too.

Anyhow.

I'd deffently go with Socket 939, and stick with newegg they are best on service. They just overnighted me a new 2500+ Mobile that they sent damaged, as it was replacing my 2200+ that was going to a customer of mine.

Also on cases I'd suggest you pick out what you like, and see if anyone knows if its airflow for cooling is good, and not built like crap. Other then that if someone says its ugly then ignore the comment.

Back