1900xtx or crossfire?

mooseboy84

Weaksauce
What is the main difference, between a x1900xtx and a "crossfire" edition of the 1900xtx?

The cross fire edition is the master card needed to run a cross fire configuration. There is no real diference in performance. (If I am not mistaken)

BLUEFISH44 said:
The cross fire edition is the master card needed to run a cross fire configuration. There is no real diference in performance. (If I am not mistaken)
you are correct

I thought the crossfire edition had slower clock speeds, I could be mistaken though. Get the regular x1900xtx if you don't plan on useing a dual card setup now, or in the future.

I cant recall if there is a crossfire XTX edition. I think only the XT comes in the "mastercard version" and if paired with a XTX it is just under clocked down to XT speeds.
However I seem to recall ASUS making a XTX master card.

So, if I am not mistaken, the "crossfire" is just ATI's term for SLI?

I need to keep up with this stuff. Im on an old 9800 pro, so you know how long ago it was when I last got a card. I want the king daddy [solo] card and am going to get a x1900xtx.

Can anyone reccomend a certain brand of 1900xtx thats better or more reliable? I notice that the diff manufactorers have different clock speeds.

I'm in the same boat as you, right down to the 9800 pro. I'm looking at the HIS X1900XT or the ATI X1900XT. the reason is that you can (in most cases ) overclock the xt to XTX speeds and save yourself a few bucks.

And right now the fastest single card solution is the 7950gtx but she is a little pricey for me.

EDIT: and yes crossfire is just the name for ATI's double card solution.

I noticed the 7950gtx is fastest by like .08 percent margine vs a standard xtx, and is 200 more.

I was also looking at 1900xt's, as they are cheaper as you say, and generally you save a good 50-100+.

So far, this is the system im looking at:

A64x2, 4000+ "windsor" 1mb l2, 2.0 ghz
2x1gb ddr2 800 corsair
biostar tforce 550 am2 mobo

After looking at the HIS 1900xt, I see it has a higher clock speed than many others and reasonable reviews.

mooseboy84 said:
I noticed the 7950gtx is fastest by like .08 percent margine vs a standard xtx, and is 200 more.

I was also looking at 1900xt's, as they are cheaper as you say, and generally you save a good 50-100+.

So far, this is the system im looking at:

A64x2, 4000+ "windsor" 1mb l2, 2.0 ghz
2x1gb ddr2 800 corsair
biostar tforce 550 am2 mobo

After looking at the HIS 1900xt, I see it has a higher clock speed than many others and reasonable reviews.

Good luck with that new system, I'm sure you will love it. I'm going to stick with my s939 3700+ for a while. moving to pci-e and a new GPU is all i have really am looking to do right now. I want to try my luck at overclocking see what i can do with what i got before jumping to AM2

BLUEFISH44 said:
XT comes in the "mastercard version" and if paired with a XTX it is just under clocked down to XT speeds.
However I seem to recall ASUS making a XTX master card.

You are mistaken.

The X1900XT CF master card runs at X1900XT clocks.

When set to CF mode and paired with an X1900XTX, the XTX will still run at XTX clock speeds while the CF master card will run at it's default X1900XT clocks.

This speed difference is the reason a Crossfire setup with an X1900XTX performs better than a crossfire setup with an X1900XT.

I have not seen nor heard of an XTX Crossfire card, but a BIOS hack to set both the X1900XTX to overclocked speed and to set the CF to the XTX 3D speeds (if it can handle the overclock) is the way to go since there was no way to set an automatic software overclock on the crossfire master card running in crossfire mode.

Back