17th Annual WCG Birthday Challenge by SETI.Germany

As of this post, 7 hours left before you can drop your bunker. That's 4pm/7pm PT/ET today. Good luck everyone and thanks for contributing to the cancer research!

https://www.seti-germany.de/wcg/stats_team_all.php?proj=wcg&lang=en

1636995270581.png

Ok time to drop the bunkers. Good luck.

Edit#1: Note that credits granted are based on the returned task being validated by your wing-person. Pending validation is not counted towards the score. You may just want to consider setting your work cache just enough to last for the next seven days. Taking more tasks that you can chew will deprive other members including our team members from getting the task been validated.

Last edited:
Team hourly stat can be found here.

We usually started very well in the race and then ....

Anyway let's support cancer research and have fun ;)

Dang, looks like something was wrong with my bunkered points, and few to none of the points my 5950x did counted. Hopefully its just behind everything else in reporting.

We are now in 3rd. We got mowed over big time last night by Planet3D. Keep the rigs coming. We can use everything you got.

Looks like my 5950x is broken with regard to this contest, or wcg in general. All my other clients are stomping my 5950x into the dirt according to official stats. I'll keep plugging away, but I wonder what is up. Perhaps switching programdata folders messed things up, or the client was disqualified for that.
1637076478101.png

Looks like my 5950x is broken with regard to this contest, or wcg in general. All my other clients are stomping my 5950x into the dirt according to official stats. I'll keep plugging away, but I wonder what is up. Perhaps switching programdata folders messed things up, or the client was disqualified for that.
View attachment 413143
Are you sure it isn't re-sending the same work units? Sometimes servers detect the host having previously downloaded work and thus should have it and then redownload the same files. It isn't common to happen but I've seen it. I would guestimate that rig should be finishing like 120+ work units/day.

Last edited:
Are you sure it isn't re-sending the same work units? Sometimes servers detect the host having previously downloaded work and thus should have it and then redownload the same files. It isn't common to happen but I've seen it.
Perhaps, but if that's the case it nullified all of them as this client shows no bunkered work and only what would represent the small amount from the last day. No way to know now, will just have to see over the next day what output is and compare that.

Perhaps, but if that's the case it nullified all of them as this client shows no bunkered work and only what would represent the small amount from the last day. No way to know now, will just have to see over the next day what output is and compare that.
Right...it would nullify any repeat reported work as the work units were already reported...

Right...it would nullify any repeat reported work as the work units were already reported...
So double reporting means instead of getting the value for them once, double reporting means you get 0, got it. That really sucks. Lesson learned for others, be extremely careful with the multiple programdata folder method.

This is why I play around with DC stuff. It lets me play around with hardware, recycle/repurpose gear and learn some stuff.

It's to bad we don't have the DC info here like there was in the past.

I found and followed that guide loosely last weekend when testing and couldn't get it going. I figured out my issue trying again yesterday. Used the wrong area to create the .xml file and create the 2nd Boinc instance.

So, I learned something new this challenge, for sure.
Wow, awesome bunker drop over 1M boinc pts!

View attachment 413143
We are just very happy that you participated in this good cause.
Yep, I hit some bumps in the past but don't let this discourage you ;)

We are just very happy that you participated in this good cause.
Yep, I hit some bumps in the past but don't let this discourage you ;)
Yeah I'll keep at it, just frustrated my heaviest hitter is the one having issues.

Not even the end of the day yet (half way), but today's output in MCM project is likely to hit all time daily record. Will see later in the evening in today's stat.

1637080831383.png

So double reporting means instead of getting the value for them once, double reporting means you get 0, got it. That really sucks. Lesson learned for others, be extremely careful with the multiple programdata folder method.
In theory you should get points for the first copy getting reported but each additional copy would be discarded because you already reported the work. So, I'm just grasping at straws. I'm not saying that did happen. Just that it could have with the way you made multiple data directories to pull more work like your que was empty. If WCG saw it as a different host then it wouldn't be the case.

In theory you should get points for the first copy getting reported but each additional copy would be discarded because you already reported the work. So, I'm just grasping at straws. I'm not saying that did happen. Just that it could have with the way you made multiple data directories to pull more work like your que was empty. If WCG saw it as a different host then it wouldn't be the case.
You're probably right. The more I think about it and look at stuff, the more I think I just don't understand how the points are calculated. The WCG website seems to show grand total stats of a client, is there a way to see it broken up per day, preferably further still by device?

I had problems with my 2nd, 3rd and 4th programdata instances running correctly in Win 10 on several machines.

I typically had one or several stop showing up, especially if I closed one or when Windows restarted overnight. When restarting they instance showed unable to connect. They appeared completely blank with no Project and no Tasks.

I had to rerun the batch file in the BOINC2, BOINC3, etc., folder, then rerun the shortcut appropriate for each folder. Then, everything showed back up.

I had to do that on serval boxes to get all the folders to correctly upload their work units. The work was there, thankfully.

You're probably right. The more I think about it and look at stuff, the more I think I just don't understand how the points are calculated. The WCG website seems to show grand total stats of a client, is there a way to see it broken up per day, preferably further still by device?
Unfortunately, not through WCG. You would have to track your own hosts. The stats websites don't do a very good job of it either.

First day result. End of day result is updated here directly from WCG website. Looking strong at 4th.

SG website has hourly stats with minor hiccups today ;).

1637118077238.png

Wanted to report in with my findings, now that enough time has passed to get a feel for my daily output in my local clients. This is based off the graph in the Statistics tab in the boinc client for the 16th to 17th eastern time.
5950x: 30k points
5600x: 13.5k points
2600: 18k points (looks like the bunker points came in later for this client and are counted here.)
8300h: 7.2k points
Seems its working based on the relationship between the 5950x and 5600x at least. I feel like a drop in the bunker here, if these numbers seem way off for anyone else with similar hardware let me know.

Today's score looks like we can hold 4th if everyone stays where they are production wise. Of course adding more boxen will make things more comfortable, but we would need some seriously large increases to threaten the top three. Late bunker releases can also surprise us, so let's no get comfortable!
Edit: spelling am hard

Last edited:
I may drop my bunker on the last day or maybe I've none at all. It will keep other teams from guessing our real output. :rolleyes: :sneaky:

Nevertheless keep the rigs running for another 4 days 18 hours.... ;)

Day 4 result
  • Crunching@EVGA overtook Chinese Dream for 9th
  • BOINC Italy made a comeback to snatch 10th from Chinese Dream
  • USA team is catching up fast on [H]ard|OCP. Watch our six. Check those closet/garage/underneath your bed/storeroom, etc for old PC and fire them up! At least will keep the house warm during this fall. ;) but be careful not to burn down your house, lol.

1637373649332.png

Last edited:
This has been the output on the cores from firing up on the 15th till part of today. Was kinda curious how the 12600k would do and those "P" and "E" cores comparatively.

Attachments

• mcm1.jpg
    mcm1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
  • mcm2.jpg
    mcm2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
  • mcm3.jpg
    mcm3.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
I would have expected more output from the 12600.
Here are a few of my rigs for comparison points. My 5950x is not really fully ready for this as its got a stock cooler and is only running ram at defaults speed (2133) so i think it can do better. the 5900x by comparison has tuned ram and is running a bit more power with PBO. all of the others are stock but have either 3600 cas 18 or in the case of the TR its 2933 cas 12 if i recall correctly.

*edit : Mind you points can vary a lot even 4+ days in as a rig can get a lot of points held up in validation so daily scores is only part of the story

Attachments

• 5900x.PNG
    5900x.PNG
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 3900x.PNG
    3900x.PNG
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1950x.PNG
    1950x.PNG
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 5950x.PNG
    5950x.PNG
    37.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3950x.PNG
    3950x.PNG
    31.5 KB · Views: 0
I would have expected more output from the 12600.
Here are a few of my rigs for comparison points. My 5950x is not really fully ready for this as its got a stock cooler and is only running ram at defaults speed (2133) so i think it can do better. the 5900x by comparison has tuned ram and is running a bit more power with PBO. all of the others are stock but have either 3600 cas 18 or in the case of the TR its 2933 cas 12 if i recall correctly.

*edit : Mind you points can vary a lot even 4+ days in as a rig can get a lot of points held up in validation so daily scores is only part of the story

Yeah I would agree that the ppd posting is only part of the story simply because of the validation requirement that might hold some numbers up. So probably a good idea to look at per unit completion times to get an idea how long it's taking to complete units on average. I had just got the 12600k up and running two days before this started so nothing on it currently is beyond bios defaults. But this works as a good cook-in period for it.

Following up with fresh findings with some more days under my belt on these chips. Points have leveled out, the 5950x in particular got a little better. The 8300H slowed down on the 20th. This is an average for the 19th and 20th.
5950x: 40k daily
5600x: 14k daily
2600: 11k daily
8300H: 6.5k daily

Here's some screenshots of the unit completion times for the three cpus I have working on it. AMD 3960, i7 10700, and i5 12600. All set to 50% of CPU and running at stock speeds.

Attachments

• 3960x_24cores.jpg
    3960x_24cores.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 10700_8cores.jpg
    10700_8cores.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 12600_8cores.jpg
    12600_8cores.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 0
Final result: 4th place. Thanks to SG for hosting this year WCG birthday challenge and also to all the [H]ordes who participated in this challenge for a good cause.

We managed to pull away from BOINC team USA on the last day.

Congrats to TAAT, P3D and SG for finishing the top 3.

See you all next year!

1637629368314.png

Back