172x 1801fp or 171b

andypnb

Gawd
i can get a new monitor as a gift.
it has to be reasonably priced (don't suggest the 2001fp)

which of the three should i pick?
172x
1801fp
171b

i use it for games (fps, rts... everything really), and also for regular everyday use.

I just got my 1801fp, and I don't think I could be happier with it.

I absolutely love this LCD!

i have the vp171s and so far its wicked.. Im watching the 12ms panels very closely though

I read here that the 1801fp uses a 30ms panel (no spec on Dell's site). I'm suprised that this could be good for gaming. Who makes the panel?

the ms timing isnt' everything. there is more too it than that. i don't remember what, but it was an article i saw somewhere.

something about those times are for color only, not grayscale or something like that. (if i am wrong, please correct me)

a lot of people say the 1801FP is really good, and i took their word for it, hopefully mine will be here by friday:D

The response time given by the manufacturer
is the sum of rise time and fall time which is measured when a pixel is changing from black to white and from white to black.

There can be many transition between colors.

So this value is maybe not the worst value. ( Hint: Manufacturers add the typical (typ.) word behind this value (for contrast also) )

Somone said on an other forum that the given response time for MVA panels is the fastest time and for IPS it is the slowest time.

With 30ms there can be 33 fps and if it is the worst than it is more than enough. (DVD videos are played with 25 or with 30 fps)

I'm leaning towards the VP171b just cus it has the DVI input...correct me if I'm wrong, but the dell 1801 doesn't?

Originally posted by K2Rage101
I'm leaning towards the VP171b just cus it has the DVI input...correct me if I'm wrong, but the dell 1801 doesn't?

the dell does.

I can't decide witch one:
172x or VP171b?

172x is 12ms and VP171b is 16ms so Samsung is obviously better for gaming but is there any other difference? Is it true that Viewsonic has less colors compared to Samsungs 16,2M colors? I know I can't go wrong either way... I'm no "pro" gamer so ghosting isn't really a prob for me but it would be nice to have a fast LCD. Maybe I should wait until 172x is fully prooftested. However, I have to wait two weeks until 172x is released here in Finland so I have some time to think.

from what i hear, the current revision of the 172x isn't a true 12ms panel and absolutely blows for gaming.

Originally posted by SpaceMonkeyAndy
from what i hear, the current revision of the 172x isn't a true 12ms panel and absolutely blows for gaming.

Where did you hear this?

Seems the latest reviews of the 172X show it to be a great gaming screen.

Been using the 172X for two weeks now and very much enjoying it, even while playing UT2004.

Originally posted by xomegax
VP171b, best monitor ever! ;)

The AU screens are pretty good. Bright and fast. But, color dithering is terrible. I didn't realize how bad until I tried out the 172X.

Seems a lot of people like the AU, and I understand why, but it never had the "wow" factor I was looking for. Just a nice LCD for gaming. The 172X almost has the "wow" factor with its size and style, and it is just as good as the AU for gaming.

*Shrug*, I only notice the dithering when I'm in an area in a game with a lot of trees and brush. Besides that, I never notice it, and its not that bad once you get use to it. The "blurring", which there is a very slight ammount, is more annoying than the dithering, and when you stop looking for it, everything is good.

*Shrug*, I only notice the dithering when I'm in an area in a game with a lot of trees and brush. Besides that, I never notice it, and its not that bad once you get use to it. The "blurring", which there is a very slight ammount, is more annoying than the dithering, and when you stop looking for it, everything is good.

I was seeing, on two different AU screens, a windows-blind effect on the desktop after playing games. It was most noticable on the title bar of the windows (the blue bar usually in XP). Each line of pixels would alternate between a darker and lighter blue color. Nothing serious, but it wasn't the actual color of the bar.

Still, if someone is looking for a good gaming LCD, and AU screen will fit the bill. I just think the 172X fits that same bill plus displays colors more accurately. AU screens can be found for less however.

Originally posted by Grolandi
I was seeing, on two different AU screens, a windows-blind effect on the desktop after playing games. It was most noticable on the title bar of the windows (the blue bar usually in XP). Each line of pixels would alternate between a darker and lighter blue color. Nothing serious, but it wasn't the actual color of the bar.

Still, if someone is looking for a good gaming LCD, and AU screen will fit the bill. I just think the 172X fits that same bill plus displays colors more accurately. AU screens can be found for less however.

You made a point there. I was thinking of buying vp171b but now I'm leaning towards the 172x. It has better colors and from what I hear the newer version is good for gaming too. I play CS a lot and other FPS games (But not UT2K4. Don't know why!) plus RPG and some other stuff. So colors and a fast response time matters. I'll try to add my comments later when I have the monitor itself.

Alternating blue on the title bars? My VP171b doesn't do that... unless you're talking about when you drag a screnn and it "flickers", I thought that was just "blurring/ghosting", but it doesn't bother me. I also don't get the dithering affect you're talking about after games on my desktop. I dunno, I only see the "window blind" affect in shrub covered areas in games. *shrug*

1760NX NEC is a great monitor as well. I dont notice ghosting during CS.

Originally posted by Cheroke6
You made a point there. I was thinking of buying vp171b but now I'm leaning towards the 172x. It has better colors and from what I hear the newer version is good for gaming too. I play CS a lot and other FPS games (But not UT2K4. Don't know why!) plus RPG and some other stuff. So colors and a fast response time matters. I'll try to add my comments later when I have the monitor itself.

I have played Half-Life and Day of Defeat on the 172X and it looks very good...just like the AU screens.

Seems framerate plays a part of whether you see ghosting or not. On UT2004, when my framerate drops below 30, it seems like I see more ghosting, same with Far Cry.

I think it has to do with something like a large building moving across the sky. When the fps is high then there is a smaller movement of the building moving across the sky (screen), verses a larger jump when the fps are low.

Alternating blue on the title bars? My VP171b doesn't do that... unless you're talking about when you drag a screnn and it "flickers", I thought that was just "blurring/ghosting", but it doesn't bother me. I also don't get the dithering affect you're talking about after games on my desktop. I dunno, I only see the "window blind" affect in shrub covered areas in games. *shrug*

My wife couldn't see them unless I pointed them out to her.

I would never see the windowblind effect after booting up and before running any games or full screen animations. I would only see them afterwards.

I know I saw them, because I have never seen them on this 172X I'm using now.

Now, I didn't run a VP171b but did run a Proview (model I can't remember) that I know for *sure* did a AU screen (even had the darker screen on top as many VP171b owners have talked about). The Sony HX73 I ran looked just like the Proview (but better backlighting) and had the same specs so I am assuming it was an AU as well. I doubt the VP171b is going to be much different, but it is possible I guess.

Back