$1700 gaming build for friend

syn3rgyz

Gawd
With all the new sandy bridge problems I think I should stick to AMD, AMD is cheaper anyways right?

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, SC2, old republic, diablo 3 and guild wars 2 to be specific
2) What's your budget?
Are tax and shipping included?
1700 tax and shipping included
3) Where do you live?
NYC
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
A new build from scratch so everything. CPU,case,RAM,Videocard,mobo,PSU,DVD burner, 2x 1tb harddrive (one for OS internal, one in an enclosure to be used to store media and backup for important documents),enclosure, and whatever else i'm missing for a new build
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None
6) Will you be overclocking?
No
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
something around 24" with the option of plugging into a 42" HDTV probably 1920 resolution around
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
within 2-3 weeks
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
USB 3.0
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Probably going to get a student edition of windows 7 64bit

nope monitor is not part of budget, and i dont know where microcenter is around here but i prefer to order everything online

The main reason why I asked if you live near a Microcenter is so that you can take advantage of this deal:
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

If you don't live near a Microcenter, then an Intel Core i5 750/760 setup would be your best bet.

He's got 1700 to spend and you're telling him to get last gen tech? What's the point? I know the saying "future proofing" isn't exactly a good argument, but with that much money and with how much better Sandy Bridge is, there is no reason to get anything less.

He's got 1700 to spend and you're telling him to get last gen tech? What's the point? I know the saying "future proofing" isn't exactly a good argument, but with that much money and with how much better Sandy Bridge is, there is no reason to get anything less.

Yeah.....:
1) There's a major defect with the SATA 3.0Gb/s ports on the socket LGA 1155 motherboard where they'll degrade in performance over time. As such, there's been a major recall of most LGA 1155 motherboards. We won't be seeing the updated and fixed socket LGA 1155 motherboards till April.

2) Even if I wanted to recommend the Core i5-2500K CPUs or any Sandy Bridge CPU, Newegg as well as most major online retailers have stopped the sales of any socket LGA 1155 motherboard and Sandy Bridge CPU in light of the above recall and defects

So why recommend a defective product that's not actually being sold by retailers any more?

Shit totally forgot about the recall. I withdraw my last statement then :D Pretty lame for the buyer considering the potential his money could get him if it wasn't defective.

Shit totally forgot about the recall. I withdraw my last statement then :D Pretty lame for the buyer considering the potential his money could get him if it wasn't defective.

Yeah I know. Sandy Bridge was such a cocktease.

Sandy bridge should be back out in april.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yup it sucks my build was also compromised because of this and i am currently running on a turd computer:(

Sandy bridge should be back out in april.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah lets jsut hope when it does come back out in April there isnt any more Recalls or BS. Would be a shame if they did a second recall & I heard that there might be a delay and extended beyond april.

assuming I don't wanna wait should i just go for the amd phenom x2?

Yes and no: SC2 would perform just fine with the Phenom II X2. However not 100% sure if Blizzard will follow the same with Diablo 3 and not sure if Guild Wars 2 won't scale past two cores.

assuming I don't wanna wait should i just go for the amd phenom x2?

I Would probably go for a Athlon II x3. Typically as cheap as the x2, & still High Mhz, But you ahve the extra core for a little future proofing & if you want to try for an unlock they often unlock the 4th core & the extra cache making them Phenom II x4's where it seems that as of late the Phenom II x2's haven't been unlocking as well as they used to.

maybe a phenom II x6 then?

Yes and no. Outside of specific requirements and deals, it is not a good idea to spend more than $170 for an AMD CPU for gaming since the Intel Core i5 750/760 is faster than most AMD CPUs in games. However if you are going to that Microcenter, then yes a Phenom II X6 setup would be an ok choice.

If he can't wait, then he should buy now.

fucking brilliant

I'd inquire as to how may SATA devices you intend to have, and if its the same or fewer than you can get SATA 6Gbps on a P67 or H67 board, my recommendation remains a SB build, regardless of the chipset issue that affects the 3Gbps ports. Otherwise, tell him to wait.

Sorry Danny, had to.

fucking brilliant

I'd inquire as to how may SATA devices you intend to have, and if its the same or fewer than you can get SATA 6Gbps on a P67 or H67 board, my recommendation remains a SB build, regardless of the chipset issue that affects the 3Gbps ports. Otherwise, tell him to wait.

Sorry Danny, had to.

S'all cool.

fucking brilliant

Sorry Danny, had to.

If you can find (or obtain) a retail P67 or H67 board, that may be sound advice.

Back