14900K Is this normal Behaviour?

-snoopi-

Limp Gawd
Z690 STRIX E Owner here.
Just changed from 12900K to 14900K on the above MB. Did the latest BIOS (3101) update before hand, and hit the CMOS reset button on back of MB after new CPU installed.

Strange things happen.

1. New 14900K CPU seems to be locked at 5677MHz in Windows, AB reports 5677MHz CPU frequency constantly even with no load or no CPU Usage reported in AB. I did not change any BIOS setting and reverted to factory defaults after new CPU install.

2. CPU gets very HOT with factory clock settings. Upto 80-100 °C under gaming load. Is this normal 14900K behaviour? Idle temps are 30-40°C. According to HWINFO thermal throttling has been occuring on both P and E cores. This seems a bit absurd for stock speed. Using a EK Elite 360 DRGB AIO cooler. HWINFO is reporting upto 1.467V on Vcore. Is that normal default for 14900K? The previous CPU installed, 12900K rarely ever got over 66°C on the same system. Maybe I need to re-apply thermal paste better?

3. XMP1 worked with 12900K perfectly on this system. But with new 14900K install, it will hard freeze in any app in windows as soon as it recieves load. Had to disable XMP for now and computer runs fine. Will try manual DDR5 OC later.

On the positive side, I have noticed there is a huge leap in performance for gaming at 1440p compared to the 12900K its replacing.

shut down, yank the power cord, remove the battery and hit the power button a few times. remove, clean*, repaste** and reseat the aio. put it back together and fire it up, load bios defaults. see how it looks.
*cpu+aio
**use a decent amount, too little is a prob!

shut down, yank the power cord, remove the battery and hit the power button a few times. remove, clean*, repaste** and reseat the aio. put it back together and fire it up, load bios defaults. see how it looks.
*cpu+aio
**use a decent amount, too little is a prob!
Thank you, i will try all this after work today

Z690 STRIX E Owner here.
Just changed from 12900K to 14900K on the above MB. Did the latest BIOS (3101) update before hand, and hit the CMOS reset button on back of MB after new CPU installed.

Strange things happen.

1. New 14900K CPU seems to be locked at 5677MHz in Windows, AB reports 5677MHz CPU frequency constantly even with no load or no CPU Usage reported in AB. I did not change any BIOS setting and reverted to factory defaults after new CPU install.

2. CPU gets very HOT with factory clock settings. Upto 80-100 °C under gaming load. Is this normal 14900K behaviour? Idle temps are 30-40°C. According to HWINFO thermal throttling has been occuring on both P and E cores. This seems a bit absurd for stock speed. Using a EK Elite 360 DRGB AIO cooler. HWINFO is reporting upto 1.467V on Vcore. Is that normal default for 14900K? The previous CPU installed, 12900K rarely ever got over 66°C on the same system. Maybe I need to re-apply thermal paste better?

3. XMP1 worked with 12900K perfectly on this system. But with new 14900K install, it will hard freeze in any app in windows as soon as it recieves load. Had to disable XMP for now and computer runs fine. Will try manual DDR5 OC later.

On the positive side, I have noticed there is a huge leap in performance for gaming at 1440p compared to the 12900K its replacing.

What is "AB"? Afterburner?
Use fully updated HWinfo64 (with fully expanded sensor windows) to report CPU temps and usage. Don't use other programs.
May possibly need to update management engine (ME) firmware if the BIOS didn't do this for you. If it's not on Asus download page for your motherboard, they are also posted on the ROG forums in the Z690/Z790 section by Mokichu.

1. Have you checked if your Windows power profile is set to "Balanced" instead of "High Performance"?
2. Higher temps with the 14900K is expected. It is raptor lake pushed to the limit, right out of the box after all. You can try to disable MCE and select Intel default limits if you haven't already. Also try an undervolt.
3. Try XMP II. If it's still not stable, have you tried lowering the memory speed a bit after loading the XMP Profile?

1. Balanced
2. Havent checked MCE and intel default limits.
3. Havent tried xmpII yet.

All i tried today was cmos reset via battery remove and power cycling unplugged for a few minutes.

Re-applied thermal paste. I have made sure cpu fan profile is on turbo mode, not full (too loud), and cpu pump is on maximum.

Nothing has helped with the issues. CPU still running a constant 5677MHz even with no load in Windows.

And after thermal paste re-application, temps still pretty high but a bit better than before.

Does anyone elese here have a AIO on their 14900K? Please tell me your P core temps when doing a stress test.

Please check if this setting is at 5%:
1704544605939.png

That vcore is really high. And your memory should work on XMP since the only change is the CPU. Hopefully you didn't damage the socket.

Yo OP,

could you please provide some pics of your bios settings and a hwinfo64 pic (no snippets please - we want all the stats) after running the system for a while?

Thanks in advance !

That vcore is really high. And your memory should work on XMP since the only change is the CPU. Hopefully you didn't damage the socket.
Yes thats what I thought, my Vcore is very high. Reading around the web, it seems some suggest the max safe voltage for aio cooling is 1.4 - 1.45v for 14900K. Maybe my Asus MB assumed the default required Vcore is 1.467v. Seems a bit high for only 5.7Ghz, although my CPU did boost to 6GHz briefly.

But what concerns me, is according to AB my power usage for CPU only gets upto 150W. I have pretty high temps for only 150W of power.

Yes thats what I thought, my Vcore is very high. Reading around the web, it seems some suggest the max safe voltage for aio cooling is 1.4 - 1.45v for 14900K. Maybe my Asus MB assumed the default required Vcore is 1.467v. Seems a bit high for only 5.7Ghz, although my CPU did boost to 6GHz briefly.

But what concerns me, is according to AB my power usage for CPU only gets upto 150W. I have pretty high temps for only 150W of power.
That's not always accurate, I wouldn't worry about that so much as your extremely high Vcore. I would make sure MCE and any OCing stuff in the bios is off and see if it returns to normal Vcore levels.

Great, after a few hours of gaming today the pc started to run extremly slow and sluggish, i mean painfully slow and sluggish. I can barely watch a youtube video now.

I don't know what happend.

I didn't change any other settings. It just happend out of the blue. I am going to rma this chip, I never had these issues with my 12900K.

I tried everything, resetting bios defaults again, even reinstalling bios update file.

Tried all power plans in windows.

Checked all temps. All temps very good unless running cinebench.
Disabled and also tried enabled MCE in Bios.

But everything is still slow as hell now besides running games at high res.

Browsing windows is very sluggish, I can't use davinci resolve to edit videos because its like a frame skipping slideshow, whereas on the 12900k davinci resolve ran very smoothly.

Aomwthing is not rite.

Z690 STRIX E Owner here.

Strange things happen.

I didn't read the whole thread, so please excuse me if there is some overlap:

Did you run Asus ME microcode update for the new bios? (its a separate update. and you have to have Intel Management Engine installed, first. and you usually have to use the version posted on your motherboard's driver page. The generic ME installer from Intel usually doesn't work with Asus ME microcode updater, for some reason).

Did you reinstall all of the motherboard/chipset drivers, with the latest versions? (intel annoyingly has a lot of them)

Did you try resetting Windows? People will tell you all day that you don't have to do this. But, in my experience, its best when making major hardware changes.

I didn't read the whole thread, so please excuse me if there is some overlap:

Did you run Asus ME microcode update for the new bios? (its a separate update. and you have to have Intel Management Engine installed, first. and you usually have to use the version posted on your motherboard's driver page. The generic ME installer from Intel usually doesn't work with Asus ME microcode updater, for some reason).

Did you reinstall all of the motherboard/chipset drivers, with the latest versions? (intel annoyingly has a lot of them)

Did you try resetting Windows? People will tell you all day that you don't have to do this. But, in my experience, its best when making major hardware changes.
Thank you for the response.
I am going to try this all tonight and I will report.

Much appreciated

checkout this post I made in another thread, to make sure that you have all of your Intel/Asus drivers and firmwares updated:

https://hardforum.com/threads/rog-strix-b760-i-issue-with-drivers.2031726/#post-1045776578

Thank you I will check that out, but I am just wondering, doesn't armoury crate install all the intel/asus drivers for you?

I just did a fresh/clean windows install, and this time installed armoury crate and downloaded a bunch of drivers/updates from the app. Would that make mine up to date or do I still need the manual method of downloading/updating all required drivers?

Just realised the intel chipset driver on armoury crate was not the latest one listed on the asus website. But all the other drivers from the armoury crate were up to date as per asus website.

So I proceed to install the latest intel chipset driver from asus website, and the screen goes blank during install.

Had to hard reset to get back into windows.

Just not winning at the moment. :(

Yes sorry forgot to update thread.

Had to limit power 253W pl2/pl1

Added adaptive offset of -0.07v so far.

UPDATED:
Disabled HT

Disabled intel enhanced turbo

So far this results pretty good.

Stable
Max temps 84°C with most cores in the 70°C under gaming load.

Stille gets to 5.7 most cores and some still hit 6Ghz for some reason, i thought disabled intel enhanced turbo would stop that.

I have some more tuning to do. I think I can make it better.

UPDATED:
I forgot to mention the most important one, I disabled HT!

Last edited:
Just realised the intel chipset driver on armoury crate was not the latest one listed on the asus website. But all the other drivers from the armoury crate were up to date as per asus website.

So I proceed to install the latest intel chipset driver from asus website, and the screen goes blank during install.

Had to hard reset to get back into windows.

Just not winning at the moment. :(
Why use the Asus Armory Crate crap? It's not all that great.

Thread about thoughts on it

Why use the Asus Armory Crate crap? It's not all that great.

Thread about thoughts on it
Tbh i am not sure why i used it lol

I just thought if i do use it, that it may automatically download and install all the chipset and motherboard etc drivers for me. Because when I was browsing the Z690 STRIX-E download page, there was so many different drivers, all with similar names n stuff that I was confused on which ones I should install and which ones were the latest ones.

Anyways, I uninstalled armoury crap now.

CPU is running ok now.
But i still have work to do

Just dropped adaptive offset to -0.09v.
Temps are getting better.

Hwinfo still says I am reaching 6Ghz, ingame reports constant 5.7ghz in Alan Wake 2.

Max temps now mid-high 70s°C.

Getting much better. Going to continue playing around.

I havent even touched LLC yet, i think that may help aswell.

its fine go test battlefield 2042 on multi 128 players and write here

Your rite, i just played a bit more of cpu intensive games and temps went upto 81°C. But thats in a room with high ambient temps, its a bloody hot day today and I didnt have the A/C running in the room. So I am very satisfied with that result. I know if i run cinebench temps might skyrocket again, but i dont really care about cinebench.

Maybe I'm missing something but if my 14900k was doing wonky stuff and I had to tweak things to get it work I'd RMA it. I've read this thread off and on so maybe I missed some of the details.

Exactly the reason I hate Asus boards. They push voltage like it's no tomorrow so they can claim our boards perform like no one elses blah blah blah stupid shit.

Your rite, i just played a bit more of cpu intensive games and temps went upto 81°C. But thats in a room with high ambient temps, its a bloody hot day today and I didnt have the A/C running in the room. So I am very satisfied with that result. I know if i run cinebench temps might skyrocket again, but i dont really care about cinebench. As s

I found the limit of negative offset my cpu can take.

Adaptive negative offset -0.12v will run perfect, -0.125 will not.

Which Windows are you running?
I don't know about 11, but in 10 and earlier, you can right click on the CPU load chart (I mean the uhhh electrocardiogram in task manager :D) and tick "Show kernel time" or something to that effect.
I sometimes discovered rogue drivers doing funky low-level stuff this way, eating at the CPU even though userspace software was idling.
Hell, why not launch one of them USB "live" Linuxes. Might be able to tell if it's a mobo issue or a software/OS issue.

Back