14700k is a beast dont let anyone tell you its not...

Below Ambient

[H]ard|Gawd
a dirty ten minute overclock

39268 R23.jpg

I love this cpu, puts my 12900k and 13700k to shame, especially in gaming

a dirty ten minute overclock

View attachment 623087
I love this cpu, puts my 12900k and 13700k to shame, especially in gaming
"to shame" right. I see you are running a multi threaded bench for starters. So no surprise over the 13700k. If you are render centrist then good for you. Still what I would consider a mild bump for the cost and effort but I am not here to judge individual situations. Would it be worth the cost and effort to most? Probably not.
Glad you are happy and faster but let's not pretend you found any form of a distinct $ for $ leap that you are claiming from the 13th to 14th gen. You bought extra cores. Enjoy.

"to shame" right. I see you are running a multi threaded bench for starters. So no surprise over the 13700k. If you are render centrist then good for you. Still what I would consider a mild bump for the cost and effort but I am not here to judge individual situations. Would it be worth the cost and effort to most? Probably not.
Glad you are happy and faster but let's not pretend you found any form of a distinct $ for $ leap that you are claiming from the 13th to 14th gen. You bought extra cores. Enjoy.
for the amount of time ive spent toying with this 14700k compared to 13700k, 14700 is much better, but i dont base my opinions on reviews either :)

Sure it's a beast, but also a very inefficient beast. It's like buying a gigantic dog but then having to cope with it's loud ass breathing and inordinate dietary needs every day.
I had a 14600k not impressed this one has a lot more performance but to each his own

Ok, I have a 10700K and am running a 3090. What processor would be a good upgrade or should i sit tight a little longer?

Ok, I have a 10700K and am running a 3090. What processor would be a good upgrade or should i sit tight a little longer?
I'm always upgrading..I do it every six months before my old hardware isn't worth anything

What is your budget for the CPU? Gaming focus? or do you need lots of cores for CPU specific productivity?

Keep in mind, Zen 5 will likely be announced at CES in a couple of weeks. May be launched at the same time-----I would guess probably no later than early February for actual launch.

What is your budget for the CPU? Gaming focus? or do you need lots of cores for CPU specific productivity?

Keep in mind, Zen 5 will likely be announced at CES in a couple of weeks. May be launched at the same time-----I would guess probably no later than early February for actual launch.
Mostly Gaming , right now I see not reason to upgrade but I am starting to get the itch. I have not been following the CPU wars but have always had stability issues with AMD and so I want to stick with Intel builds. I have always had good luck with them.

Mostly Gaming , right now I see not reason to upgrade but I am starting to get the itch. I have not been following the CPU wars but have always had stability issues with AMD and so I want to stick with Intel builds. I have always had good luck with them.
Same here. Every time I consider an AMD build again my research tells me it's not a good idea.

For $400 20corea is a lot of value

I used to chase the latest and greatest for FPS, but no longer do as I don't really game much anymore.. I moreso chase value from buying / selling used...

I picked up a TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 and a 12700K combo off of Marketplace for $225, and it is quite an upgrade from my 9900K / Z390.. I upgraded my wife's email / web browsing computer from a 9600K / B365M to the 9900K / Z390 I had, then sold the 9600K/B365M/Evo 212 combo on Marketplace for $100. Noticeable improvement for her rig too as Windows is ever more thread hungry.. so after buying a few things for the 12700K off of Amazon (Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE, EVGA PSU 8 Pin Male to CPU 8(4+4) cable), Total cost to upgrade 2 computers ~$175 (net after selling the 9600) .. Marketplace is actually pretty good in big areas like DFW since you have an immense pool of people / goods... and you can filter the sketchies / low ballers. . I tend to price my stuff fair, throw in a few freebies, good pics, very descriptive, and be transparent, etc.. so I am able to turn my stuff quick... It is laughable seeing how people price / present stuff at times (and wonder why it doesn't sell).. especially when there is a MicroCenter in Dallas..

I will reassess when the 15th gen comes out (1 year)... If / when I do upgrade... Wife will get the 12700K... As Windows 11 (and 12 is coming), just count on the base OS being ever much more thread hungry... especially with AI evolving..

But who knows... I might be hunting down a used 14700k in a year on the cheap when you guys are all buying new for the continual FPS chase, or Cinebench scores (even though most don't do content creation lol).. A 14700K will drop right into this Z690 :)

Only annoyance I have with the 12700K is VMWare likes to use E-Cores for VMs by default.. but you can override that in config https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/tvvd3g/i712700k_only_using_ecores_vmware_workstation/
... other than that, very happy for how I use my computer. Glad I did not opt for a 12900K ($400 MC combo) as I don't need it and the power requirements are over the top... Just having the ~40% upgrade in P core / single core performance was very noticeable over my 9900K for day to day stuff (using existing DDR4 / 3200 CL16)

9900K vs 12700k (per core performance uplift ~ 40%): https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-12700K/4028vs4119
1704021391511.png

CPU-Z simple benchmark for my 12700k vs 9900KF:
1704034361117.png

Power consumption over 16 hours: (currently idle)

1704034595095.png

12700K vs 14700K (per core performance uplift ~ 15%): https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-12700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-14700K/4119vs4152

1704021538483.png

Hoping Intel will at least lower max TDP under 200W with 15th gen.. but then again... RISC / ARM is getting legs (AMD, Nvidia, Qualcom, etc..) which can shake everything up in the PC space like the M1 did for Apple.

Created a thread for 15th gen here: https://hardforum.com/threads/arrow-lake-2024-and-beyond.2032442/

Last edited:
For mostly gaming with Intel, I would recommend either a 14600k or a 13700k.

14600k surprisingly uses a fair bit lower power, than a 13600k. And performs a bit better, while doing it. And that means strictly better than a 12900k. Pretty easy to cool, especially with a modest undervolt. Impressive for an i5.

13700k uses quite a bit less power than a 14700k, and only performs a couple percent worse. More difficult to cool than a 14600k. But, easier to cool than a 14700k.

That said.....a 7800X3D spanks both of them, for about the same money as a 14600k. Uses way less power. Despite that, ease of cooling----a little more difficult than the undervolted 13600k I had.

I bought Zen 4/AM5 at launch and it was a terrible experience. Returned 2 different motherboards (MSI and Asus) and sold the 7700X. Almost a year later, the 7800X3D I bought, combined with an Asrock motherboard and latest bios at time of Purchase (October), its been perfect.
I used to chase the latest and greatest for FPS, but no longer do as I don't really game much anymore.. I moreso chase value from buying / selling used...

I picked up a TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 and a 12700K combo off of Marketplace for $225, and it is quite an upgrade from my 9900K / Z390.. I upgraded my wife's email / web browsing computer from a 9600K / B365M to the 9900K / Z390 I had, then sold the 9600K/B365M combo on Marketplace for $100.. so after buying a few things for the 12700K off of Amazon (Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE, EVGA PSU 8 Pin Male to CPU 8(4+4) cable), Total cost to upgrade 2 computers ~$175 ..

I will reassess when the 15th gen comes out (1 year)... If / when I do upgrade... Wife will get the 12700K... As Windows 11 (and 12 is coming), just count on the base OS being ever much more thread hungry... especially with AI evolving..

Only annoyance I have with the 12700K is VMWare likes to use E-Cores for VMs by default.. but you can override that in config... other than that, very happy for how I use my computer.
12700k is a fantastic CPU. I bought one at launch and was constantly impressed with its performance. 12th gen was a big turnaround for Intel. Even though they use a lot of power, the CPUs have very noticeable performance improvement over 10th and 11th gen. And 13th gen was another impressive turn. Games love that L2 cache increase.

Last edited:

I picked up a TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 and a 12700K combo off of Marketplace for $225, and it is quite an upgrade from my 9900K / Z390.. I upgraded my wife's email / web browsing computer from a 9600K / B365M to the 9900K / Z390 I had, then sold the 9600K/B365M/Evo 212 combo on Marketplace for $100. Noticeable improvement for her rig too as Windows is ever more thread hungry.. so after buying a few things for the 12700K off of Amazon (Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE, EVGA PSU 8 Pin Male to CPU 8(4+4) cable), Total cost to upgrade 2 computers ~$175 (net after selling the 9600) .. Marketplace is actually pretty good in big areas like DFW since you have an immense pool of people / goods... and you can filter the sketchies / low ballers. . I tend to price my stuff fair, throw in a few freebies, good pics, very descriptive, and be transparent, etc.. so I am able to turn my stuff quick... It is laughable seeing how people price / present stuff at times (and wonder why it doesn't sell).. especially when there is a MicroCenter in Dallas..

But who knows... I might be hunting down a used 14700k in a year on the cheap when you guys are all buying new for the continual FPS chase, or Cinebench scores (even though most don't do content creation lol).. A 14700K will drop right into this Z690 :)

Only annoyance I have with the 12700K is VMWare likes to use E-Cores for VMs by default.. but you can override that in config https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/tvvd3g/i712700k_only_using_ecores_vmware_workstation/
... other than that, very happy for how I use my computer. Glad I did not opt for a 12900K ($400 MC combo) as I don't need it and the power requirements are over the top... Just having the ~40% upgrade in P core / single core performance was very noticeable over my 9900K for day to day stuff (using existing DDR4 / 3200 CL16)

9900K vs 12700k (per core performance uplift ~ 40%): https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-12700K/4028vs4119
View attachment 623722

CPU-Z simple benchmark for my 12700k vs 9900KF:
View attachment 623740

Power consumption over 16 hours: (currently idle)

View attachment 623741

12700K vs 14700K (per core performance uplift ~ 15%): https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-12700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-14700K/4119vs4152

View attachment 623723

Hoping Intel will at least lower max TDP under 200W with 15th gen.. but then again... RISC / ARM is getting legs (AMD, Nvidia, Qualcom, etc..) which can shake everything up in the PC space like the M1 did for Apple.

Created a thread for 15th gen here: https://hardforum.com/threads/arrow-lake-2024-and-beyond.2032442/
userbenchmark lol heres cpu for mine a t6ghz
1704046081066.png

userbenchmark lol heres cpu for mine a t6ghz View attachment 623764

Thanks for sharing.. helps put things in context

That single core performance is very good, and overall incredible! Based on your handle, I assume you are running "Below Ambient" for those scores , how many watts are you pulling?

15th gen and beyond is going to get very interesting.. and as mentioned, RISC / ARM is very likely going to get some legs..

Last edited:
Spiderman is taxing my 12700k, I would like a 13700k but It's prolly not worth it. 🤔

Last edited:
Spiderman is taxing my 12700k, I would like a 13700k but It's prolly not worth it. 🤔
It's relative. Spiderman will keep eating better and better CPUs, as long as the GPU can keep up.
But, a 12700k should still be good for 90+ fps or better in 1% lows, if you have a really nice GPU.

I hear Nvidia DLSS3 frame generation is awesome in that game.
I turn them both off (dlss and frame generation both off) because it's close to 144 most of the time. I want to see maximum eye candy. Maybe that's why the CPU has very high usage? Gets up to 90%

How are the thermals - I sweated with my high temp 13900k for six months before power limiting it myself (just adjusted TurboBoost wattage to 175, but you can play around with it alot ) - went from average temps from 90C to 70C with no discernible performance loss. This was on a custom loop too. Intel apparently ships out stellar cores now

How are the thermals - I sweated with my high temp 13900k for six months before power limiting it myself (just adjusted TurboBoost wattage to 175, but you can play around with it alot ) - went from average temps from 90C to 70C with no discernible performance loss. This was on a custom loop too. Intel apparently ships out stellar cores now
Been a while since I read the reviews but iirc it's much the same thermals-wise.

I run direct die, so dont care

Are you frame capping? Letting it run loose will be much hotter. Cap it at 144?

I ended up snagging strix z690 -e and a 12900k.for a cheap yet meaningfully upgrade

Don’t know why you sweated so long. An LL undervolt and thermaltake contact frame reduced my subpar 13900k to 200-220w average under full load with boost. I even run 6core 5.8ghz these days

Are you frame capping? Letting it run loose will be much hotter. Cap it at 144?
How do you frame cap at the OS level? Most games have an option, which is fine, but the temps seem to be honestly worse OUTSIDE of games

How do you frame cap at the OS level? Most games have an option, which is fine, but the temps seem to be honestly worse OUTSIDE of games
In the Nvidia control panel there are options to set the frame rate with vsync on but like you said it is best practice to do it in game so you can control all of your settings. If my game doesn't need high frame rate like when I'm playing competitive, I'll just cap it at 1:44 or 1:41 like someone else mentioned in this thread a couple of FPS below the cap. Usually just turning on vsync will take care of everything, but I really like to go in there and fine-tune everything like turning dlss off and frame generation off to extract maximum detail from the 4K screen.

Don’t know why you sweated so long. An LL undervolt and thermaltake contact frame reduced my subpar 13900k to 200-220w average under full load with boost. I even run 6core 5.8ghz these days

What is LL undervolting? I normally use the XTU because I haven't fully made up my mind - I know the best practice is to find what works then change it in BIOS but there are more options than there were back in the day.

Back