12700F underperforming 10700

jsarwar469

n00b
So my new PC with the 12700F scored 3500 in heaven benchmark. My office pc with 10700 scored 4500...

The 12700f has a 3080
The 10700 has a 2080ti

All settings in heaven bbenchmarkqre exactly same.

Once thing I noticed in hwmonitor that the 12700f is only drawing 75 watts or so while the 10700 draws almost 130 watts

Temps on both chips stayed around 70c

Is it a bios thing ?

So my new PC with the 12700F scored 3500 in heaven benchmark. My office pc with 10700 scored 4500...

The 12700f has a 3080
The 10700 has a 2080ti

All settings in heaven bbenchmarkqre exactly same.

Once thing I noticed in hwmonitor that the 12700f is only drawing 75 watts or so while the 10700 draws almost 130 watts

Temps on both chips stayed around 70c

Is it a bios thing ?
try unlocking the power limits of the 12700f in the bios. Set it to like 160 watts. Stock power limit is 60 watts.

That said.....12th gen should still beat 10th gen in gaming, even with the wattage difference.

What boards are you using? I'm not sure about now since I haven't built a rig in a while, but in the 10th gen days Asus tended to default to Intel stock power limits while MSI, Gigabyte and AsRock disabled them by default and just let your proc thermal throttle on Intel boards if you didn't have enough cooling. At any rate you should be able to get more speed out of that 12700F if your board lets you loosen up the power limits above stock. An i7-10700 can pull a lot more than 130W if you have a decent board. I did an i7-10700 build for my dad back in November-December 2020 and played with it a bit. 170W power limit will do 4.6 all core unless it's using a lot of AVX instructions. Maybe 160 is enough. I didn't test 160. I didn't test 130W either, but 125W was good for 4.2 on all cores on the i7-10700. Of course all that is assuming you have enough cooling.

It really sounds like your 12700f is being gimped by power limits. Official stock for non-k Intel chips is usually 65W, but of course they have this habit of going over a little. Still, you're running on 75W. A 12th gen may be newer, more efficient, better IPC, etc. than a 10th gen, but not enough better to beat a 10th gen that's being fed nearly twice as much power. It's like comparing a V8 to a V6 and claiming the V6 is faster because you let the V8 have half as much gas as the V6 is getting. So hopefully you just need to tweak a setting on your board and let that 12700F have more power... assuming your cooling is up to the task.

The 10700 is running on a Aprus Z590i and the 12700F is running on an Asus Z690.

I'll mess with the bios settings to try and unlock the power limits.

you should do some test with other benchmark before any conclusion, also, its the monitor resolution the same on both machines?.

The thing is, Unigine Heaven it's really old unoptimized software for the more modern hardware, and focused more GPU performance not CPU.. if you want a more overall PC to PC performance, use 3dMark suite or Cinebench.

you should do some test with other benchmark before any conclusion, also, its the monitor resolution the same on both machines?.

The thing is, Unigine Heaven it's really old unoptimized software for the more modern hardware, and focused more GPU performance not CPU.. if you want a more overall PC to PC performance, use 3dMark suite or Cinebench.
Ah yes, this reminds me: Heaven could be assigning main threads to e-cores.

jsarwar469, use your bios options to disable the e-cores. Or enable the “legacy game mode” feature, which allows you to use the scroll-lock key on your keyboard, to disable/enable e-cores at any time, in Windows. I recommend disabling/enabling before you launch a game or benchmark.

Ah yes, this reminds me: Heaven could be assigning main threads to e-cores.

jsarwar469, use your bios options to disable the e-cores. Or enable the “legacy game mode” feature, which allows you to use the scroll-lock key on your keyboard, to disable/enable e-cores at any time, in Windows. I recommend disabling/enabling before you launch a game or benchmark.

That sounds right. I did notice the ecores use was significantly more than the normal cores while I ran heaven benchmark.

Back