120mm fans

renji1337

Limp Gawd
What are the best 120mm fans for my corsair carbide air 540? they would be front intakes.

pulling through a filter and mesh

Depends. Do you need PWM control or not? Price range? Will it be controlled via software or does it need to run at reasonable speed at 12v?

If you don't need PWM control, then you have a lot more options. It's nearly impossible to find defect-free PWM fans (ticking, grinding, whirring, resonance at specific frequencies, etc. are all potential issues).

Noctua for PWM they apparently have the newer fans they make that yes $ but also VERY good at all rpm devolted or standard volts.

I like my Xigmatek one the XLF ones purple black light ones, recently got 2 Cougar HDB ones and love em.

Gentle typhoons have been my goto 120mm for years. Quiet enough, move great air and reliable.
I have tried lots of fans but I always go back to the GT

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
On another note I certainly would not put these as ANYTHING but exhaust if it catches something it will rip it apart and or fire it into sensitive components or worse yet chop your fingers apart had my computer guy do that once with scythe ultra 120s, spurt of blood blade flying off and him screaming profanities, I responded "dude!!! you going to replace that fan?"

I second the cougar HDB fans, I have 2 of the complete black besides the little rubber stops, I like them a lot, I use one vertical and one horizontal and no issues with either in so far as clicking or anything, yes they also were quite low cost I think I got 2 for ~$15 when I bought mine. I probably would go with the 140 size and just get a shroud though so one can get more cfm/pressure :)

Just want to chime in about Corsair fans. I decided to try one of their new Quiet edition AF120s and it makes a high pitched whine and a very slight grinding or ticking that is part of the whine. Not impressed at all. How hard is it to make a fan that works normally and put your name on it? Rosewell makes better fans.

Speaking of the Cougars... I have a few of them up for sale on the forums if you decide to go that way. one 120mm and two 140mm (pretty sure the air 540 can fit 140mm fans in the front intake slots which would give you more airflow and would be a bit quieter than 120mm). These are the black versions by the way (CF-V14HB and CF-V12HB).

I love these fans (way quieter than the Corsair's I'm using now), the sound profile is WONDERFUL on them... A nice "whooshing" sound, lol.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1791085&highlight=

I know everyone has their opinions on case fans. I've been using Vantec Stealth fans (80mm, 120mm & 140mm) for years & I love them! They truly are super quiet & move a decent amount of air. I have one rig that's over 7 years old & the fans still are working perfectly & quiet. Right now Amazon & Newegg are $13.99 for the 120mm. Newegg sells them as low as $9.99 a few times a year.

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-Stealt...id=1384721686&sr=8-1&keywords=vantec+sf12025L

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999614

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yate Loons are an excellent case fan. Quiet, inexpensive, and reliable. Not the best for horizontal locations due to the sleeve bearing design. However, for case fans, I prefer sleeve bearings as they are usually quieter, and do not have any ticking or strange harmonics.

Gentle typhoons have been my goto 120mm for years. Quiet enough, move great air and reliable.
I have tried lots of fans but I always go back to the GT

I like the Gentle typhoon also. I have used the AP-13 for good balance of performance and decent noise level. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find these at retailers lately.

I also have the same general question as the OP, and saw a round-up review on tom's hardware. Not sure how accurate it is but I am leaning toward the SILVERSTONE AP121. Has anyone had any experience with this fan or any reasons not to go with it, or maybe some alternatives that's better? I would also like to replace my fans that came with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus while I am replacing some fans that started to whine in my case. Would those work on it as well, if not any recommendations?

I cant exactly recommend them just yet since I've not finished my build, but I got the corsair sp120 quite editions for the front of my case (corsair vengeance c70) I can let you know this weekend how well they work just waiting on the last couple pieces for my build.

I have two Corsair SP 120 running at lower 7Vpulling through a mesh (you definitely want the SP for this). They are quiet enough with the lower voltage adapter and the sound quality is neutral. I tried the Gentle Typhoon AP13, but I didn't like the noise from it - a lower to mid tone sound.

Noctua are good but pricey. The NF-F12 should do good there - they have good static pressure for the mesh.

Back