$1160 4080 vs $910 7900 XTX???

4080 was $999 on newegg the other day for an msi ventus 3x card. It's gone now but I'd take that all day every day over a $910 7900xtx.

I may be late to the game but unless you're deadset on an Nvidia card, go with a 4090. If you can't get that, go with the 7900 XTX. Its a great card.

I may be late to the game but unless you're deadset on an Nvidia card, go with a 4090. If you can't get that, go with the 7900 XTX. Its a great card.
I check Nvidia's store regularly for a 4090 Founder's Edition. It's the only 4090 I'd buy. I ordered a Sapphire Nitro 7900 XTX today with some Prime discounts and a gift card that knocked the price down to $915 before tax. Looking forward to seeing if in action.

I check Nvidia's store regularly for a 4090 Founder's Edition. It's the only 4090 I'd buy. I ordered a Sapphire Nitro 7900 XTX today with some Prime discounts and a gift card that knocked the price down to $915 before tax. Looking forward to seeing if in action.
Gift card is essentially money, how much did you really pay?

OP bought a 7900xtx and seems happy. 4080 for $999 is a great deal, but it's a Ventus. Meh. That's definitely MSI's diet line. I've had issues with the Ventus line in the past though I acquired a mined 6700XT Ventus a few months ago for $200 and it performed flawlessly. So I dunno. I'd still probably go with the Sappire 7900XTX for 100 cheaper. I think unless you've used a 7900XTX personally you might not know just how awesome it actually is.

I've said my piece here, but unless you're doing AI/ML, 7900 XTX. I've owned cards with both GPUs and they're both very close, so it comes to other variables secondary to performance. The 7900 XTX is marginally faster in rasterization than the 4080, has more VRAM, you can normally find better deals on higher-end models, and it often will come with a free game. What's more, a 7900 XTX Sapphire Nitro (top-end model with superb cooling) for $919 vs a 4080 Ventus (bottom-rung MSI model) is an easy decision -- even if they were the same price, I'd still go with the Nitro. Raytracing, in my view is hardly worth paying extra for at this point, especially considering the 7900 XTX handles RT respectably already (around the level of an RTX 3090).

Last edited:
I meant including the gift card, of course. What was your gift card's value?

Your tax burden wouldn't go down by using a gift card, so it sounds like it was $915 and he used a gift card to knock some of that price down.

I've said my piece here, but unless you're doing AI/ML, 7900 XTX. I've owned cards with both GPUs and they're both very close, so it comes to other variables secondary to performance. The 7900 XTX is marginally faster in rasterization than the 4080, has more VRAM, you can normally find better deals on higher-end models, and it often will come with a free game. What's more, a 7900 XTX Sapphire Nitro (top-end model with superb cooling) for $919 vs a 4080 Ventus (bottom-rung MSI model) is an easy decision -- even if they were the same price, I'd still go with the Nitro. Raytracing, in my view is hardly worth paying extra for at this point, especially considering the 7900 XTX handles RT respectably already (around the level of an RTX 3090).
I've never thought about drivers but after using it for a while, stability wise, AMD seems to be just as stable as nVIDIA. Functionality.... AMD >>>> nVIDIA. AMD's driver interface seems like it was developed within the last few years and nVIDIA's was just a tweaked ForceWare.

I meant including the gift card, of course. What was your gift card's value?
Your tax burden wouldn't go down by using a gift card, so it sounds like it was $915 and he used a gift card to knock some of that price down.
XTX Price $1050 - Promo discount $50 - Gift card $75 - Cash back credit accumulated (approximately) $10 = $915 pre-tax :)

EDIT: Just checked Amazon. Price is now $1030, but no more $50 Promo discount.

Last edited:
XTX Price: $1050 - Promo discount $50 - Gift card $75 - Cash back credit accumulated (approximately) $10 = $915 pre-tax :)

EDIT: Just checked Amazon. Price is now $1030, but no more $50 Promo discount.

You paid tax on $1000 then, you don't get to not pay tax on the portion covered by other forms of payment, just on discounts.

The XFX MERC310 is only $909.99 right now, almost back down to last months low of $881.99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BNLSW23M/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks like the coupon is now available on the Gigabyte 7900 XTX... $130 off $1029. $899 for Gigabyte Gamign OC.
1689171266075.png

You paid tax on $1000 then, you don't get to not pay tax on the portion covered by other forms of payment, just on discounts.

The XFX MERC310 is only $909.99 right now, almost back down to last months low of $881.99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BNLSW23M/
My total price with tax was $979.05. That’s $915 + 7% Georgia state sales tax. If you’re right, I should’ve paid $1069.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you have no specific need for RT supremacy I would think about AMD. Frame generation is trash. DLSS 2 is a worthwhile tech but FSR 2 is very close. We need to start kicking Nvidia in the nuts to knock it down a bit off it's high horse.

Sapphire makes good cards but their warranty IMHO is subpar. I would have gone with an XFX version.

I run a PNY 4090...the card is fabulous.

Sapphire makes good cards but their warranty IMHO is subpar. I would have gone with an XFX version.
Yeah, XFX has a 3-year vs. Sapphire's 2-year, but I wanted the biggest baddest 7900 XTX. Sapphire is considered the EVGA of AMD cards, so it was a safe choice, IMO.

<GN Video>
That video actually makes AMD sound like even less of a player. "Is it a false choice to say Intel, AMD, Nvidia? And is it actually just Intel and AMD, and then if you have more money Nvidia." Then they go into how amazing the 4090 is and how no one can touch it. So you have Intel who they highlight as improving their GPUs, Nvidia who has meh low-end GPUs and "amazing" high-end GPUs, and are left with them just mentioning AMD's 7700 as meh.

Last edited:
My total price with tax was $979.05. That’s $915 + 7% Georgia state sales tax. If you’re right, I should’ve paid $1069.

That makes no sense, here's my purchase and I paid tax on the full purchase price. The gift card is taken off after the tax is applied.

Attachments

• 1689180987056.png
    1689180987056.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 0
May be I’m too picky but one of the minor annoyance of a few of those 7900 XTX cards are the 3 x 8-pin PCIE. Pretty sure 2 x 8-pin can already handle 600W without issue, evga and corsair sell 2 x 8-pin to 12VHPWR already. Made it a lot harder to tidy up those power cables.

May be I’m too picky but one of the minor annoyance of a few of those 7900 XTX cards are the 3 x 8-pin PCIE. Pretty sure 2 x 8-pin can already handle 600W without issue, evga and corsair sell 2 x 8-pin to 12VHPWR already. Made it a lot harder to tidy up those power cables.
My current 3080 has the three 8 pin, hasn't really bothered me. Won't bother me if I move to a 7900 which currently is the plan.

If you have no specific need for RT supremacy I would think about AMD.
Yea.
Frame generation is trash.
I wouldn't go that far. FG is how we are going to run 1000hz displays in the coming years. It will be amazing. See BlurBusters(tm) for more information.
DLSS 2 is a worthwhile tech but FSR 2 is very close.
It's really not close at all. At least in Jedi Survivor, DLSS Performance which renders 50% pixels x 50% pixels (25% source pixel count before upscale) looks better that FSR Quality, or even FSR disabled. It's improving the picture quality. See this thread for examples: https://hardforum.com/threads/modder-implements-dlss-3-frame-gen-dlss-2-in-jedi-survivor.2029003/
We need to start kicking Nvidia in the nuts to knock it down a bit off it's high horse.
Why, the high prices? Both major GPU brands are sporting higher prices. Some is for their profit, but some cost increase is from Manufacturing cost increases. TSMC has a monopoly on the highest end chip manufacturing. We are paying for it. I guess it is all part of moving the technology forward.

If that is not what you mean, why wish them ill, when they are the primary driving force in Graphics innovations going on for 15 years or more.
If it wasn't for Nvidia, we wouldn't have:
Adaptive Sync (this was a huge quality improvement in the gameplay experience)
Raytracing (not in large use, but it does look better)
Frame Generation
The best upscaler
The best AA (by a lot - DLAA)
and lots of other nuts n bolts improvements for stuff like Shaders, color compression, other junk no one thinks about, but has made games better.

At least we have AMD for some measure of price competition, but they need to do a waay better job of keeping up. They are making a lot of money from their CPU's, they can afford to invest more in their GPU division. They NEED to do it now, while they are still beating Intel. When Intel comes back, it's going to come back roaring, and AMD needs a really solid GPU division to weather the storm when that happens.

I wouldn't hate them because it's the popular thing to do, which is shortsighted. They don't give tech to their competition, which everyone expects. I just don't think it is realistic.

My current 3080 has the three 8 pin, hasn't really bothered me. Won't bother me if I move to a 7900 which currently is the plan.

I'd rather have 3 of the 8 pin connectors that have been tested and validated for years rather than the nVidia/Dell's sponsored 16 pin connector that still doesn't seem fully fleshed out yet.

Perhaps just me, but I guess I have this "bar" (and I'm not sure where that is at the moment) where once you go above it price wise, you might as well push it farther out, you know? Does anyone else feel that way?

Interesting development with my 7900 XTX purchase. I got an email from Newegg that included a new promotion by AMD. They're bundling GPUs and CPUs with a free code to the premium edition of the forthcoming space action RPG, Starfield. So, I bought the same Sapphire Nitro 7900XTX from Newegg. They offered to match my Amazon price, too. If you're considering an AMD GPU or CPU, this promotion might be worth a look. (y)

ne.png

Interesting development with my 7900 XTX purchase. I got an email from Newegg that included a new promotion by AMD. They're bundling GPUs and CPUs with a free code to the premium edition of the forthcoming space action RPG, Starfield. So, I bought the same Sapphire Nitro 7900XTX from Newegg. They offered to match my Amazon price, too. If you're considering an AMD GPU or CPU, this promotion might be worth a look. (y)

View attachment 583110
Ouch, $1049 plus tax. Well, enjoy! :D

Amazon delivered 2 days early! Got some raspberry yogurt covered pretzels to munch while gaming this weekend.

View attachment 582961
D.O.A.

Spent a few hours, yesterday, trying to get this thing installed and running. It lights up, the fans spin for a few seconds, then card crashes. Sapphire’s tech support had me try to run some diagnostics, but nothing worked. Returning it to Newegg. 🤬😫

Awshit, that's a shame. Friend of mine went through the same exact thing with his 7900XTX. He got it from Amazon, so he had to play the swap game. His replacement works perfectly fine.

Good luck!

D.O.A.

Spent a few hours, yesterday, trying to get this thing installed and running. It lights up, the fans spin for a few seconds, then card crashes. Sapphire’s tech support had me try to run some diagnostics, but nothing worked. Returning it to Newegg. 🤬😫
how new is your psu? kyle and others had crashing with older 1K+ psus...

D.O.A.

My Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX is also a dud. It crashes every 10-15 minutes. It will display and play games, but crash after crash after crash. I've run it in two systems, both do the same thing. I've tried bumping the voltage and every driver that supports the 7000 series. I am returning it to Amazon, I ordered a Powercolor model instead, if that one also doesn't work then I'm not sure what to do.

how new is your psu? kyle and others had crashing with older 1K+ psus...
It's a new Seasonic Vertex GX-1200. It's been great for the 3-4 months I've had it.
My Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX is also a dud. It crashes every 10-15 minutes. It will display and play games, but crash after crash after crash. I've run it in two systems, both do the same thing. I've tried bumping the voltage and every driver that supports the 7000 series. I am returning it to Amazon, I ordered a Powercolor model instead, if that one also doesn't work then I'm not sure what to do.
Yeah, I'm thinking about my next move, too. For now, it's back to my EVGA 3080.

It's a new Seasonic Vertex GX-1200. It's been great for the 3-4 months I've had it.

Yeah, I'm thinking about my next move, too. For now, it's back to my EVGA 3080.

My Powercolor card came in a little bit ago, I still find it hysterical how bad AMD drivers are with switching GPUs. Its literally the same card from a different vendor and I still have to DDU and reinstall drivers to get it running.

The card is working though, and looks quite a lot nicer and the cooler is beefier even though the Sapphire card has 3x8 pin vs 2x8 pin. That thing ran HOT when it was running, the core temps were fine but it was pushing 400W all the time.IMG_0958.jpegIMG_0957.jpegIMG_0956.jpeg

My Powercolor card came in a little bit ago, I still find it hysterical how bad AMD drivers are with switching GPUs. Its literally the same card from a different vendor and I still have to DDU and reinstall drivers to get it running.

The card is working though, and looks quite a lot nicer and the cooler is beefier even though the Sapphire card has 3x8 pin vs 2x8 pin. That thing ran HOT when it was running, the core temps were fine but it was pushing 400W all the time.View attachment 583678View attachment 583679View attachment 583680
Agreed on that PowerColor. It looks a lot better than the Sapphire. (y)

I checked Best Buy's website a little while ago. They've got more 4080 FE cards in the store near me. When I put one in my cart, the CapitalOne shopping extension kicked in with a $130 discount. I thought it was a glitch so exited the site, reloaded, and tried again. Discount is legit. If I kick in my $80 in cash back rewards the price drops to $990. I reserved one and have until next Saturday to decide whether to buy it.

Agreed on that PowerColor. It looks a lot better than the Sapphire. (y)

I checked Best Buy's website a little while ago. They've got more 4080 FE cards in the store near me. When I put one in my cart, the CapitalOne shopping extension kicked in with a $130 discount. I thought it was a glitch so exited the site, reloaded, and tried again. Discount is legit. If I kick in my $80 in cash back rewards the price drops to $990. I reserved one and have until next Saturday to decide whether to buy it.

The card works well but the coil whine is legit one of the worst I've ever heard on any card. Its so loud.

Back