10GbE card recommendation

Can anyone recommend a decent 10GbE card for my NAS? I see lots of used cards on ebay for under $50, but want to select a decent one.

Thanks-

any used enterprise card that's a bit older if you don't care about power. honestly I try and stick with Intel based nics.

Are you looking for sfp+ or 10g-base-t? If baaeT, do you care about multigig 2.5g/5g speeds too?

What kind of slot is it going into?

I'm not after sfp, just regular ol' ethernet. i thought pretty much everythin falls back. I'm not sure it matters much. My nas is a 6ft cable from my switch. I have it going into a gen3 x8 slot.

I'm not after sfp, just regular ol' ethernet. i thought pretty much everythin falls back. I'm not sure it matters much. My nas is a 6ft cable from my switch. I have it going into a gen3 x8 slot.
Look on ebay for this chipset: Intel X540-AT2 should be 30-35$ for a dual port card. 10gbe/1gbe/10mbs card. no 2.5 or 5 speeds but sounds like it does not matter for you. Make sure to grab the right height bracket.

Yeah, I'm really happy with my x540-AT2 based card. I also have some broadcom 10g cards, but they had fans instead of big heatsinks and they don't want to run in one of my motherboards for no apparent reason (works everywhere else, and I ran through the firmware updates too). I see some of the x540 cards come with fans, I'd avoid those, because fans are gonna fail at some point, and might be a pain to find a new one.

I've got something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/325891890948 which is sometimes a little cheaper than a regular card, it can do bypass mode which you probably don't need / want, but if you run the silicom utilities one time, you can set it to 'standard nic' mode and never know it's not a regular dual port card from then on. Sounds like you don't need two ports, but the used 2-port cards are cheaper than a 1-port card, so just ignore the second port. :)

Edit: Oh and be aware, a lot of these cards come with only a small-form factor bracket. I run my cards with no bracket as a result. Kind of iffy, but seems to be ok so far.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Intel X550-T2
-PCI-E Gen3
-Fantastic Compatability
-Supports multi-gig 1/2.5/5/10g
-Two ports you can aggregate
-Supports Cpu Offloading

I have a few Intel 540t cards and they've been fine. I'm only running the 10G speeds on my server rack and to my main desktop, and it's been fine.

Back