100Base-FX Validation/Verificaiton

Trepidati0n

[H]F Junkie
Unfortunately, most scopes and packages associated with them only verify/validate copper based Ethernet. This means they don't really know how to "understand" NRZI vs the usual MLT-3 at the physical coding sublayer (PCS) for 100Base Ethernet.

However, good news is that I can pretty much, we decent confidence, reduce the test to "did the packet make it there" and corroborate on the scope via the eye diagram.

So, here is the question: Is there any freeware or low cost application that will allow me to transmit a semi-generic Ethernet packet/frame from one PC to another PC indefinitely and indicate to me if the packet was "lost"? At the end, I just want a report that says "I sent x million packets with y bits and x packets were lost".

ping it "should" work, but always looking for alternatives that might offer a bit more knowledge/insight. Part of the reason I'm shying away from ping is the packet is a little too rigid. Some of the more expensive tools send a bit more "randomish" data. Also, ping isn't very time efficient. I would hope a focused program could send more bits/second.

Back