1 TERABYTE external drive??

typhoon43

2[H]4U
1 TB storage?
Anyone been on slashdot and seen the LaCie Big Disk 1 Terabyte External Drive??

This has to be multiple drives in one case right? I thought the biggest thing made were 300 giggers?

Can anyone confirm the innards?

Sorry no link.. at work. Friend told me about it.

I think its a single drive. LaCie makes a 500GB for sure thats a single drive I know. (Go to compusa's website and check under HDD's)

^ I coulda sworn it was a single drive but I guess not. I don't see anywhere on CompUSA's site where it states either way but Ill take your word for it since it's more practical.

"packs an amazing 1 terabyte of storage space in a manageable 5.25" form factor" from lacie's website. also dimensions are 6.3 x 3.4 x 10.6 inches. thats 3.4 inches wide. being external, i dont know if they could fit 4 hard drives in there. my guess is its one big one. who knows.. .

Originally posted by DeFkOrN
i dont know if they could fit 4 hard drives in there. my guess is its one big one. who knows.. .

There is no 1 TB HDD ... largest HDD is 300GB :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Anarchy

That was my thought but nowhere does it mention it being multiple drives striped/staggered. To tell to you truth it's misleading to me..

Wow thats awesome... great price too..
but i wonder about its reliability. it HAS to have multiple drives. im betting on four. look at the case....I wonder how good the ventilation is.

that plus FW800...not bad.

Originally posted by Anarchy

you are a moron.

the largest publically released hdd may be ~ 300GB but that doesn't mean this can't be a new drive they have been working on.

sad comments :( :( :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by []wave
you are a moron.

there is an extremely low tolerance for flaming
its even lower in Data Storage
(widely considered the most well mannered of forums)

The Rules

"Absolutely NO FLAMING OR NAME CALLING, this is grounds for immediate removal of your posting privileges."

we take this very seriously
a retraction and apology is in order

besides which LeCie isnt a Hard Drive Manufacturer per se
they specialize in external storage peripherals, and integrate rather than make components
http://www.lacie.com/investors/activities.htm
"The basic mechanisms, which represent most of the purchasing expenses, are purchased from large companies, most of which are American and Japanese."

I would imagine that the 1TB drive is simply an assembly of several drives in one case,
as there has been no breakthrough increase in areal density (that has been fully developed)

There is just one downside to all that it has the 4 drives. They are setup in some type of RAID (I mean as in thats its probably propriatary) and if only of the four dies all data is lost.

Great idea BUT with 4x the chance of loss of data, not something that I will invest in anytime soon. Of course thats besides the fact that storage is so cheap nowadays would build a dedicated fileserver for cheaper and it would be more reliable.

Originally posted by DeFkOrN
...dimensions are 6.3 x 3.4 x 10.6 inches. thats 3.4 inches wide. being external, i dont know if they could fit 4 hard drives in there. my guess is its one big one. who knows.. .
hmmm...

I don't know why you got hung up about the 3.4 inch dimension... That's more than two drives thick. 6.3 is enough to accomodate the length of a drive. 10.6 is enough for two drives beside each other. There's enough space to house 4 drives, the firewire and usb hardware, necessary cables, and still leave a good amount of space for airflow.

Originally posted by eth0
There is just one downside to all that it has the 4 drives. They are setup in some type of RAID (I mean as in thats its probably propriatary) and if only of the four dies all data is lost.

Great idea BUT with 4x the chance of loss of data, not something that I will invest in anytime soon. Of course thats besides the fact that storage is so cheap nowadays would build a dedicated fileserver for cheaper and it would be more reliable.
Yeah... If I were to get it, I'd have to get a second one to back it up. Also, I'd definitely insist on getting some sort of extended warrantee.

It's two drives stacked on top of eachother. Then they take two of those double deckers and place them next to eacher.

When you take the shell off of your normal single hdd its actually not that big.

Originally posted by EnderW
Someone just buy one and open it up
The estimated shipping date isn't until mid February.

Even if no one here buys it when it comes out, I'm sure we'll see someplace do a review and display it's guts to the world.

i heard that it's a jbod array of 4 drives. not too reliable imo

Back