1 Gig KHX PC3000 Cas2-2-2-6-1 $184

SJetski71

Fully [H]
Credit given to [H] member PureBooyah for originally posting it in the Strictly AMD forum.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/shop/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KHX3000K2/1G&Promo=boost

Enjoy your Winbond BH5/BH6 memory :)

WHY! WHY OH WHY did it have to be pc3000!?

I'm going to go cry now.

FYI, please be aware that at this point a lot of this memory is *not* BH5. I myself have experienced and have seen many others that have had problems with this ram. It will run memtest all day long at speeds upwards of 215-220 MHz at 2.8/2.9v. However in windows running prime it is not even stable at 200MHz @ 2-2-2-11 in a lot of nforce boards.

I myself experienced severe stability problems above 190MHz with this ram at any voltages. Prime crashes nearly immediately, games and 3dmark crash to a desktop, and windows has general overall stability issues. Out of the 4 sticks I bought, only one was BH-5. These were from about a month ago, so your guess is as good as mine as to what chips they are using now. This is definitely a case of YMMV.

Originally posted by mtlcafan79
However in windows running prime it is not even stable at 200MHz @ 2-2-2-11 in a lot of nforce boards.
Is it mostly Nforce mobo's that it has issues with, or are you implying that the ram is shaky in general? I know nforce2 mobo's generally have few issues with winbond ram and actually seem to thrive with them....Though not all ram + mobo combos are perfect so the usual "ymmv" and "buyer beware" should be applied.

Anybody have experiences with KXH PC3000 to share?

Sorry not sure where to put this but it seems mtlc knows what it does. What is BH5? I read the General [H]ardware > Memory FAQ paper which was really good but i didnt read anything about BH5. It seems rather important though.

BH5 is the specific brand of chip on the RAM.

Well, Kingston HyperX PC3000 CAS2==Kingston HyperX PC3000 CAS2==Kingston HyperX PC3000 CAS2, right?

Nein.

Memory companies don't really make memory. They take memory and solder it on to boards to make it work in your computer. Companies like Winbond make the memory chips themselves.

Getting a stick with Winbond BH5/BH6 chips on it is like grabbing a JIUHB 1700+. For the regular user, it's the same shit, but for us/you, it'll push a hell of a lot farther. Where you might be able to push some regular KHX (some other brand of chips) up to 190MHz stable, you might be able to go to 210 with BH5 chips. Those numbers are completely out of my ass, so don't quote me on it, but hopefully you get the picture.

The reason he was putting that here is because it makes the deal hotter. Back to the 1700+ example, finding a 1700+ for $30 is an OK deal. Finding a 1700+ for $30 and knowing that you'll get a JIUHB fucking rocks. :D

Back