1.6 or source?

stealth17

Limp Gawd
which sould i get? never play any HL games and i wanna get in the mix. ive heard both sides. graphics i hear pwn on source but the game play is better on 1.6

sooo which sould i get?

thanks

I have played the original retail and the source version, and I can say that, in my opinion, they look and play EXACTLY the same. I am pretty sure that the source version uses the original level BSPs and everything.

can i just buy a key off ebay and d/l it from steam? i heard you need a cd the first time

stealth17 said:
can i just buy a key off ebay and d/l it from steam? i heard you need a cd the first time

you do not need a cd, howerver you can buy hl-2 at the store and it iwll come with cs:s.

you can also just buy cs:s through steam and download it directly.

if you play pc fps should should already have HL2 and that comes with CS source

SOurce, its hella fun (even though it runs like crap on my system, DAMN YOU R520S COME OUT ALREADY!!!!)

Yeah, 520's will be nice. My setup runs source fine at 1280x1024 with everything but models maxed, and hardly ever goes below 40fps. Once I get another stick of 512mb of ram, I think i'll be set. And then HL2 mods will come out and own my comp :*(

1.6 is definitely a better game than Source in terms of the strategy required, more balanced gameplay and (at least for now) infinitely better maps, both in terms of quality and selection. That said, competitive CS 1.6 seems to be in its downswing, and so if you plan to play competitively at some point in the future, migration to Source would probably serve you better.

I have both 1.6 and Source. CS 1.6 has much better gameplay, requires more teamwork/strats and is simply more "fun." Source feels like a completely different game to me; the physics and such are simply awesome but the gameplay found in 1.6 just isnt there for me.

Just my $0.02.

RandysWay said:
I have both 1.6 and Source. CS 1.6 has much better gameplay, requires more teamwork/strats and is simply more "fun." Source feels like a completely different game to me; the physics and such are simply awesome but the gameplay found in 1.6 just isnt there for me.

Just my $0.02.

the gameplay is exactly the same.

I don't like how in source you "slide" around everywhere. it doesn't feel right. Plus headshots are like 50% of the kills now :rolleyes:.

In theory, Source should rock. Except, it blows. Reasons:
1) No anti-cheat. Whatsoever. Valve gives no fuck, either.
2) Relatively weak map selection. All the new maps that Valve is making, suck. cs_compound, for example, feels like the spiritual heir to as_oilrig: it is so goddamn stacked towards Terrorists, it isn't even funny. CTs are wide open to attack from every single angle, from higher positions with better cover. It feels like an aim_whatever map, except those are symmetrical; compound is basically target practice for terrorists. The other one they made doesn't even feel like a CS map, it feels like a Warcraft 3 map. Then you have your pick of about 6 or 7 "updated" (re: prettier but not changed at all) maps that are in 1.6.
3) Fucked up hitboxes. For one thing, they lag; the hitbox for a person's head isn't always where the person's head is. It's also apparently about twice the size of the actual head, since as stated above, there are quite a few headshots. Even more than are normally in CS.
4) Pointless barrels that exist for no reason whatsoever except to remind people that the game has physics. It's very frustrating to be in a firefight and have your aim suddenly thrown off because a barrel from behind you started rolling against you, and starts fucking up your aim and slowing you down for some inexplicable reason.
5) Auto-snipe and Scout are both vastly more powerful. This normally wouldn't be a problem if your team could work together to take down a sniper through effective team movement and co-ordinated flashbangs, but good look finding that on any pub.
6) Gabe Newell is fat.

finalgt said:
In theory, Source should rock. Except, it blows. Reasons:
2) Relatively weak map selection. All the new maps that Valve is making, suck. cs_compound, for example, feels like the spiritual heir to as_oilrig: it is so goddamn stacked towards Terrorists, it isn't even funny. CTs are wide open to attack from every single angle, from higher positions with better cover. It feels like an aim_whatever map, except those are symmetrical; compound is basically target practice for terrorists. The other one they made doesn't even feel like a CS map, it feels like a Warcraft 3 map. Then you have your pick of about 6 or 7 "updated" (re: prettier but not changed at all) maps that are in 1.6.
3) Fucked up hitboxes. For one thing, they lag; the hitbox for a person's head isn't always where the person's head is. It's also apparently about twice the size of the actual head, since as stated above, there are quite a few headshots. Even more than are normally in CS.
4) Pointless barrels that exist for no reason whatsoever except to remind people that the game has physics. It's very frustrating to be in a firefight and have your aim suddenly thrown off because a barrel from behind you started rolling against you, and starts fucking up your aim and slowing you down for some inexplicable reason.
5) Auto-snipe and Scout are both vastly more powerful. This normally wouldn't be a problem if your team could work together to take down a sniper through effective team movement and co-ordinated flashbangs, but good look finding that on any pub.
6) Gabe Newell is fat.

i think wickedangel and metallica band are having an anti-valve circle jerk tonight, you should join them.

wrong. VAC2 is coming soon. i wont even read the rest of your baseless and unintelligent post. not worth my time

how is that a bad thing, it adds one more dimension of intrest to the game. dont bash hacking till you have tried it. i can tell you that it is a blast from first hand experience, and it is even better once you get to a point where people cannot easly tell that you are doing it because then you start recruited into clans, then playing in leagues that do not require demos like ogl.

if you are at a point where you are pissed with all the hackers just join in and try some hacks, i did and it made the game even more fun that it was when i got it. until vac2 comes out i will be hacking it up in as many servers as i can.

VAC2 is going to be activated invisibly this time around, but by all means. hack. hack! :p

does source come with 1.6?i cant seem to find JUST 1.6 on steam anywhere and for CZ it brings me to the source package....

In order to get CS:Source you have to buy Half Life 2. I like Source a lot better because the graphics in 1.6 are just outdated and ugly.

compslckr said:
how is that a bad thing, it adds one more dimension of intrest to the game. dont bash hacking till you have tried it. i can tell you that it is a blast from first hand experience, and it is even better once you get to a point where people cannot easly tell that you are doing it because then you start recruited into clans, then playing in leagues that do not require demos like ogl.

if you are at a point where you are pissed with all the hackers just join in and try some hacks, i did and it made the game even more fun that it was when i got it. until vac2 comes out i will be hacking it up in as many servers as i can.

fuck-you.jpg

you have never mentioned what kind of computer u got...source might be overkill if ya running a geforce 2 and a pentium 3 500mhz ;)

but anyways..I vote for SOURCE..I have played 1.6 for quite a while and SOURCE kills it in every single way...Alot less hackers..even though there are some..bbut everyone in 1.6 hacks..in my opinion..my freaking little brother hacks and his whole dang clan hacks....(I beat his asss up occasionally for hacking)....so yeah source..the only downside to source is that I can not get 100 constant fps :) even on 640x420 I cannot get 100 fps..hehe maybe in a few years

aZn_plyR said:
you have never mentioned what kind of computer u got...source might be overkill if ya running a geforce 2 and a pentium 3 500mhz ;)

but anyways..I vote for SOURCE..I have played 1.6 for quite a while and SOURCE kills it in every single way...Alot less hackers..even though there are some..bbut everyone in 1.6 hacks..in my opinion..my freaking little brother hacks and his whole dang clan hacks....(I beat his asss up occasionally for hacking)....so yeah source..the only downside to source is that I can not get 100 constant fps :) even on 640x420 I cannot get 100 fps..hehe maybe in a few years

i got a dfi nF4 with a winnie running at 2.6ghz
2x256mb bh-6
XFX 6600gt PCI-E

should be able to figure it out from there ;)

buy the silverpack on steam

comes with a bunch of stuff.
hl2/cs:source/1.6/dod:s when it comes out

compslckr said:

Hmm. Yeah. Normally I would respect the "don't knock it till you've tried it" cop-out, but not in this case. See, I have enough respect for other people that if the game sucks so bad (or I suck so bad at it) guess what? I take that as a sign that I should stop playing, and I stop fucking playing. I have enough respect for other peoples' purchases to not fuck up their online gameplay because I'm a selfish fuck who wasn't getting enough kills. Why is it so goddamn hard for you people to just put the game down? I never understood it, you would rather cheat at the game (you're not even playing the game any more at that point, all you're doing is tricking yourself into thinking you don't suck ass) and fuck it up for everybody else than just play a different game, or spend that time doing something productive.

You suck, dude. Not you specifically so much as all the people you represent. You all suck.

rayg said:
the gameplay is exactly the same.

You wish.

I can just list all the changes that do indeed impede gameplay.

HaMMerHeD said:
am pretty sure that the source version uses the original level BSPs and everything.

You couldn't be more wrong. The levels have changed quite drasticly. For example, de_dust2, the terrorist spawn is clearly much more visible from mid than 1.6, catwalk is huge, the box in b tunnels is smaller, there's a god damn useless car in bombsite b, and there's no boxes in the pit.

The levels in Source are similar to 1.6, that's because the game should be the same but with different graphics. But they aren't the exact same.

compslckr said:

Thanks for defining pathetic for us.

i think hacking is like this... think about playing a nice game of basketball, and some smacktard comes in with brass knuckles hitting everyone in the head, and then taking the ball and shooting while the hoop is 2 feet tall...

AznAnarchy99 said:
i think hacking is like this... think about playing a nice game of basketball, and some smacktard comes in with brass knuckles hitting everyone in the head, and then taking the ball and shooting while the hoop is 2 feet tall...
yep, that sounds about like something i would do, why waste energy running back and forth across the court when you know the other people you are playing with are better at the game than you. the brass knuckels and lowered hoop would at least give me a chance.

i hack on a lower level, all i use is the wall hack (esp) so i know where the people are. no aimbot, speed hacks or anything like that unless i get really pissed.

compslckr said:
i hack on a lower level, all i use is the wall hack (esp) so i know where the people are. no aimbot, speed hacks or anything like that unless i get really pissed.

You're not getting any better at the game.

fromage said:
You're not getting any better at the game.
i dont have time to play enough to actually get good at knowing where people are on each map, i just play when i have free time or a few minutes of down time. it is hard finding free time while doing a double major (comp sci and comp
Engineering) and working to pay for school.

anyways, lets stop talking about hacking and more about helping this guy decide weather source or 1.6 is better for him

i stick with my suggestion of source

more people play 1.6 then source.
cs source is getting lame as well.
They need some form of anti-cheat for source otherwise its a decent game

EDIT

honkee said:
more people play 1.6 then source.

this will be true for a long long time, simply because you don't need a fast computer to play it.

another vote for "source". the levels conceptually are the same, but are not exact pixel duplicates by any means.

personally, i think the hl2 engine gives the cs designers the chance to have all of the little details tuned correctly that could not be done in v1.6. examples are flashbangs (turning around no longer negates a flashbang), hit detection, and environmental objects interacting with each other.

compslckr said:
yep, that sounds about like something i would do, why waste energy running back and forth across the court when you know the other people you are playing with are better at the game than you. the brass knuckels and lowered hoop would at least give me a chance.

Pathetic defined a second time, ladies and gentlemen. Vocab lessons courtesy of the [H]. Who says we're not educational?

Back