Zyxel 643 + Netgear 814v2

m0unds

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay- to start:

I've got several machines connected to a 4 port router, with a WAP. The router is assigned to 192.168.1.2. All machines connected to this router are given IP's using DHCP (I've tried static assignments, with the same results)

I just upgraded my DSL, and I got the ZyXel Prestige 643 modem, which has a built-in 4 port switch. I disabled the packet filtering on the modem, enabled NAT and DHCP (tried with it disabled, too) The router gives itself the IP of 192.168.1.1 (hence the 192.168.1.2 on the netgear.) At any rate-- I'm having problems. I performed the initial configuration of the Zyxel, and I had no trouble, when using a machine plugged into the netgear, adjusting the configuration of the modem, as well as the netgear. After I had some issues with port forwarding not working as it's supposed to, I adjusted a few settings, and now I can't get access to the modem unless I'm plugged right into it. I reverted the settings for both devices back to their respective factory-fresh configurations, to no avail. I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight as to what might cause this sort of problem-- I tried enabling RIP w/multicast on both routers, without any luck, and I tried using static routes and static IP's for everything. Any help or intelligent input is greatly appreciated.

Chris

bump.

someone's gotta have an idea.

what would cause communication to be impossible b/w two routers? someone? there's gotta be another network tech out there willing to be helpful

I'd turn off DHCP on your router and just use it as a switch now if you need more then 4 ports. Just connect it's unlink port to one of the ports on your modem, don't use the WAN port.

hmm--- well the router is connected to the modem via port 1 on the modem.. it's connected to the router, on the WAN port. I guess I could try swapping it to one of the ethernet ports to see if it matters.

Swap the port and turn off DHCP on the router, let the modem do all the work.

I set the modem to allow all traffic through on its NAT, left NAT enabled on it. I connected my router to the modem on port one, and set it to filter traffic to my specific machines, using port forwarding. viola, all machines have their necessary connections..wee

Back