XP Pro: 1 activation?

anths

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I ordered an OEM copy of XP pro from newegg and installed it on my parent's computer. Well they got a new computer yesterday (that I built for them) and was going to put the copy of XP pro on that I bought. I took the other computer, formatted it immediately and put some nice Gentoo Linux on there for my router/server. Anyway, I'm happy with my new box (their old one) and they are happy with theirs save for one problem. I can't activate windows on the new computer! It says it is out of activations and I only activated it once. What should I do about this?

its too late, you already activated it on another machine, 200 dollars down the drain :) try calling them and see what they say, goodluck.

as long as you explain the situation, that you upgraded their computer, with almost all new hardware, you should be fine. :)

Ok guys, I am going to call today. One other question though, why would I only be able to activate once? I thought you could do it numerous times in case of a situation like this.

Originally posted by tim
as long as you explain the situation, that you upgraded their computer, with almost all new hardware, you should be fine. :)
Actually, I'd like to see him explain how he upgraded the old computer:

Anths: Hi, yeah, I did a real upgrade to the old computer. I put Linux on it! Anyway, now I've got this other computer that isn't much usable for much, so I'm going to be xp on it, but it wants me to call you to activate it.

MS: .... <-- Stunned silence.

Do you suppose their heads explode when you talk to their tech support about linux? This sounds like a test. ;)

When you need to reactivate an OEM version:>

Tell them you :

Upgraded the CPU (1.8a to 2.6c)
Upgraded the hard drive (40gb to 160gb)
Upgraded the video card (MX440 to 9600XT)
added more memory (1x256mb to 2x512mb)

the upgrades are different versions (100fsb to 200fsb, under 48bit LBA to over 48bit LBA, Nvidia to ATI)

Never say you got a new PC

Are those the min requirements so they won't be suspicious or something? (I would be). But yeah, that sounds like an entirely new computer to me if I were at the other end of that phone.

If you are still in college, you could buy XP Pro for $5, if your university has a MS agreement, like mine.

are they even that specific? I called, said I upgraded. no problems whatsoever. So what if the upgrade involved a whole new box? You paid for one license, and that's what you're using. :)

Originally posted by defcom_1
are they even that specific? I called, said I upgraded. no problems whatsoever. So what if the upgrade involved a whole new box? You paid for one license, and that's what you're using. :)

Exactly. The whole point is that the license is only used for a single computer. He had it one computer and formatted, replacing it with a different OS. As a result, the license should be usable on the other install. You are NOT installing XP on two pcs at the same time. You are not ripping MS off. They should not have any problems with you telling the truth about your situation.

I wonder what would happen if you told 'em the hose clamp holding one of the tubes on your waterblock came off...
Or maybe "I accidently dropped an SLK-900 on my northbridge"

Back