XP Activation Help

kycivicboy

n00b
I just built a whole new computer for my self. I have an origianl copy of XP Home. when i tried to activate it i get the msg ..says that i exceeded the activation of the computer... i ve read on here that i need to call microsoft. How does this actually work.. Do they reqire any information from me liek name or what? do i need to have the windows cd with me or any of the paperwork? Any help will be apreciated. thanks.

(from what i've heard, when you call, it's a prompt driven system. you only talk to someone when there's a problem. i'm sure you could call them and they will tell you what they need to know. you of course would not be obligated to answer (it's your damn phone you can hang up any time you like ;) ). i'm sure if you didn't have what was necessary you could call back once you got/found it

i've been lucky enough to never have to call. :cool:

Originally posted by Stupendous
Is that copy of XP Home installed on another computer?

Its still onthe hard drive of the old computer. but i plan on formatting that hard drive. its just a 20gig and goign to use it as a secondary drive. I have sold the processor, ram and video card that was in that computer already.

if anyone has had to call them. what all do you have to go through or is it all automated.

I had to call them it was very easy to have it reactivated.
1 call 1800 #
2 First a automated machine will come on ask you 4 or 5 questions then transfer you to a real person
3 the person will ask for the 25 or 30 digit code that is on your screen. Not the code you typed in to install XP. The one that is 5 digits long in each space.
4 They will verify the code and then ask why you are calling. Just tell them why and thats it.
5 They will give you a new code to type in in the empty blanks and thats it.

Hope that helps.

You know, the next time I activate my laptop and they ask me why I need to re-activate...

I'm gonna tell them "Because I downloaded it from kazaa and I want to install it now" and see what they say :D

Originally posted by KaosDG
You know, the next time I activate my laptop and they ask me why I need to re-activate...

I'm gonna tell them "Because I downloaded it from kazaa and I want to install it now" and see what they say :D

LOL :D, ya they do not really care why, the lady asked and when I told here she just ok and here is the number.

Originally posted by wipeout833
1 call 1800 #
2 First a automated machine will come on ask you 4 or 5 questions then transfer you to a real person
3 the person will ask for the 25 or 30 digit code that is on your screen. Not the code you typed in to install XP. The one that is 5 digits long in each space.
4 They will verify the code and then ask why you are calling. Just tell them why and thats it.

Hope that helps.

alright thanks alot. Im fixing to call them here in a few minutes.. I'll let you all know how it went.

Originally posted by wipeout833
1 call 1800 #

Hope that helps.

Odd, I get something different form that:

1. Call 800 #
2. Automated prompt for a few activation questions
3. Automated walk-through of entering the code that is on the screen
4. Atomated voice message to verify the code
5. Automated reactivation code is read block by block.

Never had to talk to a person. If you are someone who has had to talk to a live person, then you are making a lot of changes and then activating right away when sometimes waiting may be best (like adding new memory or getting a new vid card in a week). Here is a basic run-down of how the activation works, which may help you schedul upgrades in such a way where activation isn't a hassle.

The only change I had to make was replacing the motherboard which had died. I installed the replacement motherboard which was the same as the bad board. Windows Xp popped up a window say I had to activate again. Talking to the person was really easy and only took me about 3 minutes to complete and I was back up and running again.

Originally posted by Zwitterion
Why does microsoft do the activation thing anyways?
to prevent people from installing on multiple computers like you can do with win2k. they get more money that way

They do it because they are taking our information to use against us when they try to take over the world!

Back