Xbox and DVDR Compatability

Manu

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know whatthe DVDR compatability of the xbox is?

Does it prefer + or - ?
Does it have a brand preference of disc?

I ask because I burnt a backup of a DVD and to test it, I played it in my xbox (my primary DVD player)

It was a TDK + R disc, 4X. It started playing fine, but then randomly it would have digital artifacts/hiccups.

I played the disc in my DVDROM (not the DVDRW, but my laptops DVDROM drive) and it played fine through those parts, no hiccups, artficats or jumps.

So, clearly thee is something about the xbox DVD compatability which is different from my DVD ROM.

Anyone know if it is all DVD Rs, format dependent, or even disc dependent?

Read this.

I have had no problems with any format or any brand of DVD that I have burned. Have not tried RW yet though.

I have used everything form Ritek to Imation and darn near everything in between. No problems.

Thanks, I guess I will give it another shot.

Now, my discs say DVD+R on them, but then have an RW logo on it...does that mean its RW?

Originally posted by Manu

Now, my discs say DVD+R on them, but then have an RW logo on it...does that mean its RW?

Yep. There +R not -R but just of the ReWritable Group (RW)

SO yes your discs are +RW. Might be the problem. RW As a whole don't have as good compatability as just R be it - or +

I figured they would advertise the RW more, than just that...

Will go out and try to buy some just +R discs...

Thanks

Originally posted by SKiTLz

SO yes your discs are +RW.

that may not be the case, it depends on the disk manufacturer. Some Imations I have that are +R, also have the RW logo, but they are not RW. While discs from other manufacturers are labeled +/-R but without the added logo of RW. So, unless the disc specifically says that it is DVD-/+RW then it is not.

Originally posted by Tiny
that may not be the case, it depends on the disk manufacturer. Some Imations I have that are +R, also have the RW logo, but they are not RW. While discs from other manufacturers are labeled +/-R but without the added logo of RW. So, unless the disc specifically says that it is DVD-/+RW then it is not.

You must be buying some shady discs. I buy bulk Taiyo Yuden however so you may be right. I dont deal with retail discs much.

On my roomrates Xbox we haven't found any problems with Media, but more with which drive was used to burn ;).

I can backup a game on my HP 300i @ 4x, and it'll read no problem in the Xbox.

He has to burn at 2.4x to get it to work properly on his.

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

Originally posted by Manu

The RW image is just the logo of the +R/RW camp. DVD+R discs often have the RW logo, but that does not mean they are rewriatable discs. If they are supposed to be +R (and say +R clearly), then they are +R (not +RW despite the logo). It's a little confusing, but what can ya do...

My original 11/2001 Xbox plays DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs perfectly, but doesn't play DVD+Rs or DVD+RWs. It depends which drive you received in the console. I've read several other people can play back all 4 types in their Xbox.

Interesting, I will test in my other xbox.

(roommate has an 11/01, and I have an 11/02, with noteiceable physical differences)

I also will try burning at 2.4X, with different media.

My drive, FYI, is a liteon 811S (I believe)

Its their 8X dual format.

Back