Xbox 360 as a upscaling DVD player?

Molingrad

Gawd
How well does the 360 work as a upscaling dvd player? Im not too sure if i want a 360 or if i should save up and upgrade my rig, but if the 360 upscales and a set alone one costs $200 its worth it.

also does 360 have HDMI and/or optical out?

1. No, the Xbox 360 doesn't upscale DVDs. Just buy an Oppo DVD player, its only $200 and its money well spent.

2. HDMI output may happen in the future, but for now, you're out of luck.

3. The Xbox 360 has optical out via a toslink connection on the HD AV cable. Not sure if it's also on the standard RCA cables.

zero002021 said:
1. No, the Xbox 360 doesn't upscale DVDs. Just buy an Oppo DVD player, its only $200 and its money well spent.
QFT. A good standalone kicks the ass of any convergence device.

2. HDMI output may happen in the future, but for now, you're out of luck.
A future revision of XBox360 may do it, but not the one that's on shelves now.

3. The Xbox 360 has optical out via a toslink connection on the HD AV cable. Not sure if it's also on the standard RCA cables.

My friend got the core package. There doesn't seem to be an optical audio output on it, just the standard yellow white and red. Though, I didn't take a good long look at them, but I didn't see anything else. The premium model comes with the HD cables though (component and optical audio out are inclded, but not the VGA cable).

Erasmus354 said:
The optical out is in the base of the unit, not on an actual cable.

That would explain why it wasn't on the standard AV cable. I still cringe at the fact that he's playing the system on a composite (not even S-video!!!) connection... but hey, that's life. 90+% of people still play their console games on 480i TVs from 1989. Hell, I bet at least half of them require RF input converters :p

steviep said:
Hell, I bet at least half of them require RF input converters :p

I bet thats true. When I used to work at GameStop we sold a decent amount of RF input cables and up until I bought my HDTV, my prior TV only had an RF connection, so imagine the difference in quality I originally saw going from Xbox on a 19" TV w/ RF connection to an Xbox on a 36" TV w/ component cables running in 480p. Quite nice, and even nicer now that the Xbox 360s out. 720p is delicious. :p

both basic AV cable set and HD cable set for the XBOX 360 has optical out steviep.

It's a female recepter embedded in the actual piece that plugs in to the back of the xbox rather than the ends of the cable.

Back