X800XT Install, Black screen

VaMage

n00b
I just got an X800XT today, pre-order from BestBuy, odds are it's going back any way, no Win98 support and sadly I have legacy stuff I need 98 for, but I would like to get it to run and see if it can convince me to find some other way to handle 98.

But, I can't get it to come up under XP Pro, after I install the drivers I get a black screen for awhile and then the good old blue exception screen.

I've done the usual, flashed the Bios, hit Windows update, scrubbed the old drivers out, installed Intel's INF utility, all to no avail.

So, here's my last 2 questions.

The board is an Asus P4T533-C, 850E chipset, AGP is 4x, BUT the Asus site has a note that says: "AGP 4x (1.5 volt only)". Could be the slots no good for the XT?

2nd. The manual tells me to first download the latest AGP drivers for my motherboard. I've hit both ASUS and INTEL, it's INTEL's 82850/82860, and the only thing I can find that even makes a vague refernce to software drivers for the AGP slot is the Intel INF utility. (Got the lastest one of those from Guru3D.) That's when I decided to flash the BIOS even though everything else seemed fine and I didn't see anything in the list, up to 1010C, that would make any difference.

Oh, and then I also changed the AGP memory setting in the BIOS to 256, it was at 128.

Here are the basics for this PC:
Asus P4T533-C, 850E chipset, 1066MHz RDRAM support, 533MHz FSB, Pentium 4.
Intel Pentium 4 2.53 gHz 533 FSB
Coolermaster Pentium 4 CPU Heatsink/Fan
1024MB PC1066 RDRAM (4pcs 256 meg)
Coolermaster ATC-201 Aluminum Mid Tower
Enermax Whisper 450 Watt Power Supply

Aside from plugging in the molex connector, I am not sure why it would do that in XP Pro. I have the same OS and my X800Pro installed fine. You didn't mention anything about the molex connector so I gotta ask, did you plug it in?

I'm sure that the motherboard can support the card. It's really not that old considering.

I honestly don't have any idea as to why it's doing that other than the molex :confused:

If you are planning on taking it back, I would definitely consider buying if from you for the price you paid with tax. I don't live too far from you. Let me know... well unless it's a bum card. lol

VaMage said:
I just got an X800XT today, pre-order from BestBuy, odds are it's going back any way, no Win98 support and sadly I have legacy stuff I need 98 for, but I would like to get it to run and see if it can convince me to find some other way to handle 98.

But, I can't get it to come up under XP Pro, after I install the drivers I get a black screen for awhile and then the good old blue exception screen.

I've done the usual, flashed the Bios, hit Windows update, scrubbed the old drivers out, installed Intel's INF utility, all to no avail.

So, here's my last 2 questions.

The board is an Asus P4T533-C, 850E chipset, AGP is 4x, BUT the Asus site has a note that says: "AGP 4x (1.5 volt only)". Could be the slots no good for the XT?

2nd. The manual tells me to first download the latest AGP drivers for my motherboard. I've hit both ASUS and INTEL, it's INTEL's 82850/82860, and the only thing I can find that even makes a vague refernce to software drivers for the AGP slot is the Intel INF utility. (Got the lastest one of those from Guru3D.) That's when I decided to flash the BIOS even though everything else seemed fine and I didn't see anything in the list, up to 1010C, that would make any difference.

Oh, and then I also changed the AGP memory setting in the BIOS to 256, it was at 128.

Here are the basics for this PC:
Asus P4T533-C, 850E chipset, 1066MHz RDRAM support, 533MHz FSB, Pentium 4.
Intel Pentium 4 2.53 gHz 533 FSB
Coolermaster Pentium 4 CPU Heatsink/Fan
1024MB PC1066 RDRAM (4pcs 256 meg)
Coolermaster ATC-201 Aluminum Mid Tower
Enermax Whisper 450 Watt Power Supply

seems to me you should build a parts machine to run win98 and install XP on your gaming rig....

Well, I spent the day on the phone with ATI and ASUS, no luck. A level 3 tech at ATI did tell me that he had handled a call from a guy
with a P4T533, not a 533-C, and that he could get XP up but any use of a 3D app caused it to crash, with the settings turned down to the minium it crashed in 3 minutes, up at max about 30 seconds.

So, it doesn't look good for this board. ASUS had no clue and suggested I re-install Windows. (Which actually might be the case, I can't seem to get rid of the NVidia driver. Used NFR and DiverClean, they both scub the system but if I re-boot with the Nvidia card XP simply finds a copy it has stashed and puts it back in. So, MAYBE, it's finding that copy when I try to re-boot after installing the ATI drivers.

But, the card will not ever support 98, and I don't have room for a parts rig, good suggestion though, so I'll likely send it back and wait on the 9800 Ultra.

Thank you for your thoughts.

You live in Midlothian! :eek: Ha I am over in Short Pump. Sorry about your bad luck, it's a really great card.

what do you have that you need 98 for? You know it's officially obsolete now, no new patches/etc, and NO new hardware will have support for it (MS is pushing hard to move everything to xp)?

EDIT: VirtualPC is your friend as well.

WAIT!!! Would you mind if I bought it for what you paid including tax? I want one and can't find it anywhere and I don't live too far from you.

I can't imagine needing Windows 98 for anything. And the comment was on the money. Virtual PC is your friend.

ATi announced that thier 98 driver support was dissapearing awhile back. I am sure Nvidia will fallow suit soon.

Great to see Va is allive and well here!

Here is another update on my journey. Tech support at ATI and ASUS weren't any help, but gawd I hate to lose, and losing to a PC is just intolerable. So, I spent the day teaching myself some internals of the ATI drivers / specs and then did ye ole KISS.

Turns out the black screen was a serveral problems, all of which I resolved. (I'm on the card as I write this.) Then I ran it against some of my favorite games, and it just sailed through them. Where it didn't it's more likely my aging CPU then the card.

That is right up until I tried Rise of Nations on it, for some odd reason it fried my NEC 21" montior. Not to worry, I usually run it with a 21" Viewsonic P815-4 and it was under warranty so they will just RMA it. Though I still have no clue what caused it, it's not like RoN is Farcry for gawd's sake. Any way, RoN ran fine on the P815 so I'm still chugging along, if it weren't for the 98 legacy problem.

Here's the fun part, the Senior Tech at ATI told me that the 4.3 drivers will run the X800XT just fine, but that ATI will not support anything before Win2K, so I would have to figure out how to modify the INF file in 98 to get them to load. He then told me that he couldn't tell me how to do the mod because that would be supporting them! (Which sadly I fully understood. ) HE then told me to go over to Rage3D and ask them how to do it because, "they can do it as easily as we could, but won't". LOL

So, I'm going to stand pat and see what the guys over at Rage come up with, if I can get it to run great, if not, well the Ultra from Nvidia will support every O.S. so I guess I'll get one of those instead.

Unless Nvidia want's to pay MS a big premium, they can't (IIRC) release drivers with 'official' win98 support anymore.

What do you need 98 for?

What the hell? I'm in mechanicsville! Just bought a house here. Moved from Mayland and Parham.

Do you guys lan?

I'm out in Brandermill, on the "right side of da Rivah". :cool:

About the Ultra, the Tech at ATI said that Nvidia was willing to release uncertified drivers, which ATI would not do. Checking both the Nvidia site and various other sales sites, Best Buy for instance, they all list 98, ME, 2k, XP, and Linux as being supported.

This PC is set up dual boot and I have a couple of legacy apps I have to support that won't run under XP, Virtual, or seemingly anywhere other then native 98SE. So I'm likely stuck with 98 until it is finally dead dead dead. The parts machine is a great idea and once my daughter goes to college and I can reclaim about 60% of my house I might do just that. :}

VaMage said:
I'm out in Brandermill, on the "right side of da Rivah". :cool:

About the Ultra, the Tech at ATI said that Nvidia was willing to release uncertified drivers, which ATI would not do. Checking both the Nvidia site and various other sales sites, Best Buy for instance, they all list 98, ME, 2k, XP, and Linux as being supported.

This PC is set up dual boot and I have a couple of legacy apps I have to support that won't run under XP, Virtual, or seemingly anywhere other then native 98SE. So I'm likely stuck with 98 until it is finally dead dead dead. The parts machine is a great idea and once my daughter goes to college and I can reclaim about 60% of my house I might do just that. :}

What apps? I've worked in the industry and I've got tricks for many of the ones that don't like to play nice :)

It's local Turnkey stuff, one is a, I think, Win95 app for a local pawnshop, for example. Not my stuff but it is my headache from time to time.

The other part of it is that we do training, some companies are still using 98, and they require it to be delivered in 98. So, if it's courseware then I have to know how it behaves in 98, not how it behaves in XP acting like 98. :{

Microsoft no longer certifies drivers for any Windows 9X OS's or NT 4.0. Only Windows 2000 and its variants and Windows XP/Server 2003.

Back