X800 Pro/XT PE support the new Apple 23" displays?

rush24t3

2[H]4U
They use DVI, but I also read they require a video card with something called DDC.

According to ATI's spec page, I don't see DDC mentioned...anyone knows what it is?

http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9800/radeon9800pro/specs.html

EDIT: Here's a copy 'n' paste from Apple's site:

So long as your graphics card supports DVI with DDC technology for widescreen viewing, you should be able to use these Apple displays with a PC.

So, would a 9800 Pro and the X800 line support it?

Use the search engine at ATI for DDC, 10 pages of hits, going back to the 7500 series. Sorry I didn't have time to check them.

ya, the displays just use a normal dvi connector, any modern graphics card with dvi will run the 23" model fine.

Torquemada XP said:
According to ATI's spec page, I don't see DDC mentioned...anyone knows what it is?

All you need to know is that all modern monitors support DDC.
Your video card driver uses DDC to find the specs of the monitor and set the limits (among other things) so that the monitor does not get destroyed with too high settings.

any pc with a DVI port will run the 20 and 23 inch models, but you need a 6800U for the 30 inch, or maybe the special apple only 6800 DCC

V0ltage said:
any pc with a DVI port will run the 20 and 23 inch models, but you need a 6800U for the 30 inch, or maybe the special apple only 6800 DCC

Yeah, I was aware of that...the 30-inch is just TOO much, LOL

I knew the monitor would work due to the DVI connection, but that DDC thing threw me for a loop.

as far as i was aware these monitor will work on PC's that have DVI but they dont actually have any controls on them for brightness, contrast, colour temp etc....on a mac all that is controlled via software...not sure how you will do it on PC??

Or am i missing something?

i thought even if you had that dvi you still had to get that $99 adapter from apple to run it on a pc

Filter said:
i thought even if you had that dvi you still had to get that $99 adapter from apple to run it on a pc

For the old models, yeah...these new ones are specifically touted as being able to run on both a Mac and PC, due to the DVI connector. Before, Apple used their proprietary ADC connector, which required a converter for PC use.

Syphon Filter said:
as far as i was aware these monitor will work on PC's that have DVI but they dont actually have any controls on them for brightness, contrast, colour temp etc....on a mac all that is controlled via software...not sure how you will do it on PC??

Or am i missing something?

When using DVI, most monitor options are disabled anyway, regardless of the brand of LCD, since the pure digital connection "auto adjusts" itself. Apple includes a brightness control on the right-hand side of these new models, however.

Back