WOW, DOOM3 out on 8/4, but no X800 PRO/XTO to play

Cannibal Corpse

[H]ard|Gawd
Normally it is the opposite. No FRY's, BEST BUY, CompUSA have it (or ever did?) in North or South CALIFORNIA. Good thing I still have my 9800XT. Oh, well...

You're preaching to the choir, man.

I have to say this is the absolute biggest mess of a product launch I've ever seen. Blame samsung for not living up to the ram supply needs of both nVidia and ATI. There is product shortage on both camps because of this.

I wanted an XT-PE SOOO bad... but with Doom 3 two weeks away, and my birthday one week away, I went for the 6800 GT... ATI just didn't deliver for me this round. Maybe next time.

Yeah since the high end cards are few and far between, everyone is dropping a rung with some availability at that level. Unfortunately for Ati people are buying 16 pipe cards that can be OCed for near top performance. Seems the obvious choice given the massive shortages.

Wow, I never imagined myself even considering a nVIDIA card.

You know what pisses me off? The reviews of these cards (WAY back in May) stating: "The X800 should be avalble this morning and XT PE in early June"...Yeah, right.

On a second note: Call me lazy not reading the reviews lately, but how does compare to X800 PRO? Faster? And why not the 6800 Ultra? Is it hard to find too? Since I have heard that 6800 is "optimized" for DOOM3, I am REALLY tempted to try it out, the hell with ATi's empty promises, it is like unavailability of dreaded "Dust Buster" 5700 all over again, like two years ago.

Yeah I'm real curious on doom 3 benches as well. I would think they would start showing up here soon. Also while you're considering the GT, there is a softmod for the x800 pro VIVO models that many are having sucess with. Certainly something else to consider.

Cannibal Corpse said:

What exactly does this mod do? Does it "turn ON" the extra 4 pipelines? ;)

Exactamundo.

You have to have a certain model of the X800 Pro VIVO for the mod to work, though.

Is everyone becoming so reliant on forums and pricegrabber and such that they can't search the sites?

zipzoomfly HAS the VIVO edition of the Sapphire X800 Pro in stock $469 ( and has for at least a week, I've been stalking the site to make sure they keep the PRO or the eVGA 6800GT in stock, I bought the eVGA last night, and guess what, they show OOS this morning.)
They also have the Asus X800 Pro at $483 (we all know that Asus sells nothing at MSRP)

They are out there, you just have to do a lot of shopping.

well it seems there's plenty of people doing VIVO to XT mods, so you could take a chance on that. Or go with the GT. I have mine rock solid @ 420/1150, 2.8 -->3.2, 12,610 3dmark2k3. Not too shabby, runs FC @1600x1200 on my 20.1LCD awesome, and i'm sure it will be fine for doom.

99% of the GT's will OC to at least ultra speeds, 400/1100, less power requirements, single slot.

either way you have options before the game comes out.

Back