Wondering what's best for page file....

st4rk

Gawd
I am expecting a 120gb seagate sata hd soon.

I don't know if I should install my os on it, or leave my os on my WD 8mb 80gb 7200rpm HD, and use the SATA hd for my page file.

So basically here are my options, no idea whats best (PF=page file, WD=Wester Digital pata hd)

1. PF on WD, OS on SATA, Games all installed on SATA. So WD is used for PF and storage.

2. PF on SATA with OS on WD, games installed on SATA. WD used for OS and storage.

3. PF on SATA, OS on SATA. WD used for games and storage.

What do you think I will get the most peformance for gaming from? Methinks option 1.

and also, if you want an educated response you gotta respond with what the formula (follow the link) gives you, and how much RAM you have, and what you usually use your computer for..

ha ha, you didn't understand my post.

That help is for PF SIZE. I am not worried nor confused about PF size.

What I am getting at is WHERE the PF should PHYSICALLY be. The SATA is a bit faster than the PATA WD. So if the OS is accessing data from the PF on the SATA, theoretically it should better for the PF to be phsyically on the slightly faster SATA HD than the slower PATA HD.

BUT, you shouldn't put your PF and OS on the same HD. SOOOOO.....would it be better for the OS to be on the faster SATA, or the PF to be on the faster SATA?

Im not so sure its gonna matter to much. But id put the Pf on the slower hard drive, and keep games, apps and windows on the faster.

Pagefiles

note the exclusions
since Im not a gamer, Im not overly familiar with exactly how much virtual memory
is typically employed (for a given amount of RAM) during the course of a game,

Back