Windows Splash Screen History

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
ZDNet has compiled a pictorial of all the Windows Splash Screens from 1.01 all the way to Vista.

Ever since the dawn of the Windows operating system, Microsoft has used Splash Screens as a means of distracting us while the operating system is loading. In addition to their entertainment value, the Windows splash screens typically provide us with some sort of feedback on the progress of the sometimes lengthy startup process.

Man, I still can't believe they took ou the Windows logo out of Vista when booting. Every PC that I owned, booted with some variant of the logo; I feel a sort of nostalgia whenever I looked at that logo.

Those assholes, I feel empty inside now. >=[

Never really liked any of them :\ Any long term systems I had always replaced the default with something more eye appealing. Cool to see the progressions though.

Does the Vista "status bar" actually mean anything? When windows went from NT to XP the status bar became a symbolic animation which really pisses me off, sometimes I'd like to know if my bootup got stuck, shown by the lack of movement, or if it's simply just taking a long ass time.

Man, I still can't believe they took ou the Windows logo out of Vista when booting. Every PC that I owned, booted with some variant of the logo; I feel a sort of nostalgia whenever I looked at that logo.

Those assholes, I feel empty inside now. >=[
Turn off the Windows Vista GUI boot screen and it looks even cooler. ;)

Back