Win XP Pro Boot Problem

Animal982

Limp Gawd
I recently upgraded to Windows XP Pro from 98 SE and have been running fine without any problems for about a month now. All of a sudden today when I tried booting up my PC it stays on the boot screen with the animated progress thing at the bottom of the screen forever and wont boot into Windows. If I try restarting my PC by pressing the reset switch the BIOS will find my primary hard drive instantly and then it takes a few seconds to detect my DVD drive, CDR drive, and my second HD. Normally bios instantly finds all 4 drives. After it does detect the other 3 drives though it gives me an “Error loading OS” message.

If I do not hit the reset switch and instead power down the PC by holding the power button in for a few seconds, the computer shuts down, and I then restart it. When I do this bios instantly detects all 4 drives and then again gets me to the boot screen where it again just stays there forever.

I have been successfully able to get into Safe Mode with networking but I really have no idea what to do to fix this problem. The specs on my system are an Intel 815 motherboard with a 800MHz PIII with 512 RAM. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Back