Will a Celeron work in my system?

bloodeagle

Limp Gawd
I have a dell case with motherboard, it used to be running a P4 1.4Ghz 478pins, but I dont have the CPU. So i was wondering if a Celeron - 2.0 GHz 128K 400FSB 478 pin would work in it? It is a Dimension 4300S, got it 2 years ago from Xmas. I tried asking Dell, but they wouldn't say anything. So any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Only the newest BIOS versions for your Dell will support the 2.0GHz Celeron. But the 2.0GHz Celeron will actually be more of a side-step than a true upgrade from your current 1.4GHz P4.

Actually, I removed the parts from the Dell to build my current rig, new mobo, case, etc. I just used the CPU and harddrive and stuff. But now i have all the parts needed to put it back together except the CPU. So will it work if I were to just pop it in?

It may not even boot up with the 2.0GHz Celeron, with the current BIOS version that the motherboard is using. At least you'll see an error message on the screen telling you that the CPU that you're trying to use is unsupported with that BIOS version.

how can I get it to run with the Celeron without updating the BIOS? or...how do I install the new bios?

Check the dell site for updating the bios.

BTW i'd go with a 2.0 or better p4 for a real upgrade.

the computer cant even turn on...like theres no CPU in it at the moment, so how could i update the BIOS? and I'm only getting the Celeron cause its cheap, and cause this is gunna be a linux box, so nothing fantasic needs to go into it.

Originally posted by bloodeagle
the computer cant even turn on...like theres no CPU in it at the moment, so how could i update the BIOS? and I'm only getting the Celeron cause its cheap, and cause this is gunna be a linux box, so nothing fantasic needs to go into it.

In that case, then, you're SOL. You'll still need that old P4 1.4GHz in order to even boot up to flash your board's BIOS.

Dont ask Dell, go into the dell forums, regular users. But it most likely will work.

I have a celeron @ 3.6ghz in a shuttle rig, @ stock they suck though.

Back